Used 2004 Volvo S40 Sedan Consumer Reviews

Used S40 for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

This car can save your life

John, 07/23/2010

I bought this car for my teenage daughter, in part because of its safety features. Within months she was involved in a serious rollover accident (swerved to avoid a deer) and the car came to rest on its roof. The car was totaled. Looking at the car afterward I would have believed it was a fatal accident, but she did not have a scratch! If safety is paramount to you, you can count on this car - it saved my daughter's life.

bragging rights- great performance

greatpurchase, 09/17/2010

From the moment I test drove this car I loved it. The acceleration blew me away, not to mention the handling. I drove off the lot 2 hours later. 0-60 in a blink of an eye..I leave the competition in the dust. Handling, finish, reliability. My Favorite features are the rain drop/auto wipe feature,heated seats,audio system. Volvo got it right on this one.

So far, GREAT!

Timscotland, 03/11/2004

My wife drives a V70 D5 a car I have been very impressed by. I am now middle aged and therefore have been required to go for a sensible car. My Honda Accord TypeR had to go and I have to be a grown up :-( Enter an S40 T5 so much torque, quiet (great news after the Honda) 30mpg at 90mph I love this car. Even running in, resticted to 3000rpm, you are traveling at 90+ but as the milage goes on (now at 1100 in 10 days) the engine gets better and better. The 6 speed gearbox is smooth and precise, better even than the Honda with it's award winning box, even if 6 speeds are unnessisary with the car.

At this price it a no brainer!!!!!!!!!

Jammer, 05/15/2003

My wife and I just recently purchased our S40 and are quite impressed. The ride and comfort is just great! After driving SUV's and truck's for the past 5 yrs it is a relief to find a vehicle with accelleration, fuel ecomony, and ride comfort in such a inexpensive vehicle. The interior of the car makes you feel like you riding in a luxury vehicle costing $10,000 more. Our S40 has the premium and climate package and was bought for only $22,000!!! Anyone looking at a SAAB 9-3, Audi A4, Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, or even a Hyundai XG350, do yourself a favor and look at an S40. You'll find you can save $1,000's when getting the Volvo.

T5 is very unique and great power

Luis H, 04/18/2010

T5 engine is a must have. got it in red and is very good overall. still looks like new almost 6 years later. 1st few months was a rear brake grinding noise that took several visits to replace. Then the sunroof molding kept coming off. turbo valve had to be replaced. 2 years ago my oil trap had to be replaced at about 75K miles. Dealership and Volvo denied this was an issue. Cost $600. 3 months later my wife's 2005 T5 s40 had the same problem at around 75K miles but volvo still denied this was an issue or a recall. 2 exact cars w/ the same issue at around 75K owned by same family on long island not an issue????? 3months later recall issued. now both cars have water leaks when it rains

Performance Bargain

Michael, 03/14/2008

I've been driving this car for about a month and I love it. It makes my commute enjoyable instead of it being a drudgery. The Volvo S40 handles like it's on rails, stuck to the road like glue.Really comfortable. The car feels so solid and well built. The 5 cylinder engine has a surprising amount of power. It really takes off when you punch the accelerator, and yet, fuel economy is better than my Honda Accord. I'm averaging about 32 mpg on the highway. I wish I had bought this car a long time ago!

First and Last Volvo

FtLauderdale, 12/14/2007

I'm not a big fan of this car and anxiously await the end of the lease. It's just not reliable enough, something is always going wrong and the service people act like they're doing you a big favor to fix it, even warrantly items that just should not be a problem so soon. With that scenario, rattles, wind noise, and poor gas mileage (22 mpg), I'll be looking elsewere for my next ride.

Lg families and lg egos need not apply

jece, 08/24/2003

In a nutshell:Solid value and understated elegance. If you want a sportscar or something to "show," perhaps you should look to BMW or Jaguar. This car offers every safety feature imaginable, its reliable, and the power of the turbo engine is more than adequate. Standard equipment far exceeds anything Audi or the Japanese have to offer. This is my second s40 as the s60 was a bit large for what I was looking for. No problems ever. Highly recommended-however, not for large families or large egos.

At this price it a no brainer!!!!!!!!!

jammer, 05/15/2003

What a great car

Dannt t, 03/14/2016
2.4i 4dr Sedan (2.4L 5cyl 5A)

Its a great safe car i recommended

12345...10