Used 2019 Volkswagen Tiguan Consumer Reviews

Used Tiguan for Sale
Select your model:
12345...15

Pros
Cons

Great Value - Test Drive One

VW First Time Owner, 01/26/2019
SE 4MOTION 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

This vehicle was a big surprise. I drove many competitors: Mazda CX-5, Toyota Rav4, Chevy Equinox, Ford Escape, Jeep Cherokee, Honda CRX - None were even close to the value and drivability of the Tiguan. I paid $24,300 for a 4-motion SE (MSRP $29,215) with the cool spoked wheels / dark gray back ground. The color is Platinum with black interior and it looks like an Audi. Every feature of this car is great and easy to use in the SE package. The car is a delight to drive around town and it is a cruiser on the interstate. I got the 5 seater and the interior is so roomy. The back seats have all kinds of head and leg room with the seats slid all the way back. Stereo and tech. is awesome. Acceleration from a dead stop is so-so, but I found using the torque from this engine and keeping RPM's low; works better than getting crazy with the gas pedal. I drive in the Eco mode. MPG's are about 2 mpg better than the sticker says. Update after 1 year of ownership --- Vehicle is still performing as initially described. It's been almost two years since purchasing this vehicle and I have had no issues. It still smells and drives like the day I purchased it. Update after 2 years of ownership--Vehicle had a reflash of the computer from a recall... The vehicle now operates best in "Normal" mode versus eco or sport for how I drive. The lag going in and out of 1st gear is much improved. MPG's stayed good after the reflash. Everything else on this vehicle is still operating like the day it came off the lot. This is an excellent vehicle and probably will be my last petro vehicle the way things are trending towards EV. Good job VW!

Love it!

Bolo, 09/16/2019
SE 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

Got the Tiguan SE with 3rd row and sunroof. Happy! Here is why. Talking about the design, I am tired of the fake sophistication of today's cars. I feel we are driving spaceships with brain freezing nonfunctional design from 60'-'70 sci-fi cult movies. The successful CR-V with convoluted front design looks just like Jabba the Hutt. The CR-V's rear design is just the new version Starship Enterprise from Star Trek. I don't get the bathtub design philosophy of RAV4. Tucson is just a recycled old Santa Fe. I kinda like Kia's recent consistent and identifiable design but I don't like the logo :). Equinox... OMG, the dying-soon "fluidic design" going wrong. It looks like the back of the car is running after the front and it can't make it. Mazda CX-5, it's just a continuous struggle to get the "ready for a kiss" grille perfect. Forester is just an exception, it is an instant historic vehicle right out of the production line. Volkswagen conservatively managed to shave the fluff the other guys are playing with to impress us. I am not a fan of the Tiguan’s back design, the extreme simplicity. It looks like wearing very tight underwear under a close-fitting dress. Sometimes it appears cool to me, sometimes looks cheap, it depends how I weak up. Perfect size for my wife so she doesn’t have to stand up when parking. We didn’t want an over-sized SUV to move air around the town. I checked on Atlas but it looks too mad to me. For those complaining about acceleration hesitation/transmission lag (I personally didn’t feel it yet, but...) put $25K more and get a luxury SUV for showoff. Don't buy an affordable car and expect a Mercedes AMG performance. The 3rd row is a plus for kids but not for my mother in law, although that was my silent good intention. SE model does not have the remote start and the Car-Net. The specs are very confusing even for a smart guy like me - my wife confirmed it. I found out about the missing treasure after I signed up the contract. A big minus for my dealership who sensed and used my weaknesses. Anyway, it has heated front seats (not for the bad kids in the back) to worm up my broken feelings about VW's wrong decision. You get the remote start and more features in the SEL models, but I would run to BMW dealership if I had the money. The front collision, blind spot sensor, and rear traffic alert features are faster and more civilized than my wife's scary safety warnings, so we don’t have to talk about divorce again. The seats are OK. Easy to clean after my civilized kids eat in the car. The back seats look better than a bench in a train station but they are comfortable - based on my kids' testimony. The infotainment screen is impressive, you get a little less than 50% of Tesla's floor to ceiling screen. You can mirror your Android Auto but only when you don't forget to bring a USB cable in the car. For deep bass music lovers, you get an OMG sound quality with the standard no-name speakers in the SE model. We painfully increased our budget and got the sunroof. It is huge. Sometimes I let my wife drive and I ride on the back seat enjoying the panoramic view (I recommend it, but explain the intention very well, you might look suspicious). No powered rear lift-gate but I exercised a special body move that makes my neighbors believe I have a fully automated trunk door. We still discover amazing "no-need" features. Yesterday I discovered by mistake the rear camera washer. Yes, it has that. Do you remember those moments: “I will clean the back camera next stop”? Those painful seconds of regret and emptiness are gone! 😊 Mileage? If I compare it with my boss’s Aston Martin DB9 the Tiguan is extremely fuel-efficient. Yeap, others are doing better on this. Overall it is a great car. Seriously now, for immature husbands, this car has plenty of good features to toy around for a while. Find the right time because it will make your wife regret all the better choices she had before the marriage. More to say but you got the point. It is exactly what the name implies: half Tiger and half Iguana. Cheers!

No Regrets

Borg Warner, 04/04/2019
SE 4MOTION 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

After two months of test driving CRV's, CX5's, Foresters repeatedly, I thought to try out the under-rated VW Tiguan and so glad I did. The other models mentioned were not bad cars, I was just not thrilled by lack-luster CV transmissions and the new CX-5 didn't feel like an upgrade from my 2016 model. So, here's the skinny on the VW: I don't understand the negative press this car has received. It's comfy, quiet, accelerates very well here in Colorado (turbos make more power altitude) and has different power settings to make the most of it's thrifty 2L turbo power-train. Eco speaks for itself for max efficiency and slow to respond throttle input. Normal feels normal and Sport mode kicks things up a notch with more immediate shifts and acceleration. In "normal" mode, I'm averaging near 30mpg and have seen 33+mpg on one 70 mile hwy trip. Cruise range should be excellent and come close to 500 miles but I cannot confirm that yet, it's a conservative estimate based on the car's computer. Also, all of the controls have a greater sense and feel of quality that's just a bit better than the competition. My SE comes with Android Auto and AWD and 3rd row seating but that's optional. One final note: Excellent stereo with XM, HD-FM tuner, CD player! Great graphics, touch controls and response. Pricing and 72K warranty sealed the deal for me.

Purchased In December 2018 - Great SUV

Duane, 01/22/2019
SEL Premium 4MOTION 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

We purchased this SUV in December 2018 and are thrilled with the SUV. It is quiet, comfortable, and the tech available is fantastic (and it works!). While performance off the line is sluggish, once you are moving, such as highway speeds, I don't have issues with acceleration. I will admit that it is sluggish off the line, but that is it. The features, comfort, price, etc, all out weigh this one con. The 3rd row seat has allowed us to take 1 car vs 2 when running around town and/or taking and dropping off kids as well.

A most understated, underrated SUV

Win, 02/04/2019
SEL Premium 4MOTION 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

"Compact" it is not when it comes to my 6'3" frame getting into this car with ease. Coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd powered by a 5.7 HEMI (Plus fuel Recommended) into this model left me in amazement. The functionality and HiTech of the Tiguan is as loaded as it's cousin, the highly rated Audi Q5. Driving in Eco Mode is a hay day of fuel economy. The average MpG since the beginning is 24.9. This includes many hours learning the various features with the engine running going nowhere. Now I luxuriate in 27+ MpG between fill-ups, of course Regular fuel. My Jeep hit me with $45-55 per tank load and gave me 235-325 miles in mixed driving. If I need acceleration I use the Sport mode and it shifts and accelerates just fine. Once I reach my target speed considering other traffic I go back to Eco and at 75 MpH show 31+ GpH doing similar travels as I have for several years now. Trying out all the features available takes awhile (hopefully never to find out the Emergency Crash Event), however the system performed amazingly well in crash avoidance when I was cut off harshly by an irresponsible driver last week. The LED lighting is great and much better than rated by the "experts". 4Motion is a treat!

12345...15