Used 2012 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

Used Passat for Sale
Select your model:
12345...21

Pros
Cons

In for the long haul

gopadge, 08/29/2014
SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof, Nav (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

08/2016 Initial review: I now have 65,000 miles on this Passat. It has been without a doubt, the most reliable vehicle that I have owned so far. And while the 2.5l is probably not a fun to drive as the 1.8t on current models, the performance is more than enough for daily driving and I appreciate the lower cost of ongoing maintenance and simplicity. I routinely average 32+ mpg on long trips a highway speeds and have averaged 29+ in combined mpg over the past 10,000 miles. The car has plenty of room even in the rear for my 6'3" teen. 08/2016 update: I'll pass 100,000 miles within the month, and the car continues to be reliable, comfortable, and fuel efficient. On a business trip this morning, I averaged 33.7 MPG at an average speed in the mid 70's, having covered just over 300 miles. 8/2018 update: I have just gone over 150,000 miles. So far routine maintenance and tires have been my only expenses. Last summer, between July and December we took the Passat across the country several times, (KS - SC - CA - SC - KS - SC - TX) and it performed beautifully, handling the heat (115F at the Hoover dam), Colorado mountains and SC / TX humidity with no issues. I continue to be amazed at the fuel efficiency for such a large sedan, still averaging 32+mpg at highway speeds. 08/2019 update: I've got 170,000 miles on the Passat, with only one issue so far. The leatherette drivers seat is starting to tear, I guess I'll have to replace that at some point. The car still runs fine, with the economy still in the low 30's on the highway. 03/2020 update: I passed 195,000 miles on the Passat this winter and still have no complaints. The car continues to run strong with no warning lights or issues (outside the torn driver's seat). 9/03/2020 update: Just pasted 205,000 miles. No issues or complaints. Last month I drove from Texas to Alabama and back and a separate trip up to Kansas and back with no issues.

Great Highway Sipper - First VW & First TDI

ricknlaser, 08/01/2012
TDI SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I researched and negotiated a great deal over the internet with a local dealer. Got the color and interior that I wanted in the SEL (Opera Red with Black interior). Took over a month to get from the factory but has been well worth the wait. So far I have 2700 miles and have only filled (16 gal) the tank 3 times (first one on the dealer!). Great driving and handling. I have a 90 mile per day commute in busy highway with a reasonable amount of slow down and speed up type driving. So far - averaging 46 mpg in my 3 fill ups. It is really FUN to drive! Better than any Hybrid I test drove.

Passat! Love it!

sigjuliussen, 12/03/2011
TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I'm 6'4" and over 300 lbs and the car fits great. Can stretch out my legs all the way. Drove 400 miles round trip to my cabin and with studs and snowy Alaska mountain conditions the car still go 41 mpg. 3 fill ups so far with all Anchorage city driving and twice it got over 30 mpg, and one time with lots of snowy cold days and still got 27.5 mpg. Can't wait ti see what it gets with summer tires and no snow (I have a few months to god lol) Car handles great in the snow and drives like a dream.

Best car we've ever owned

longstreet, 04/20/2012
TDI SE 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

We traded our beloved 2007 Jeep Commander gas hog for the TDI Passat hoping to average 35 to 38 mpg's. (As an engineer, I could not bring myself to buy a hybrid). So far, after 8000 miles, we are averaging 44 mpg with a few tanks over 50. The torquey TDI almost never downshifts (max torque is at 1750 rpm) even in the hills and mountains of Western PA. In addition, and unlike the Ford Fusion we test drove, the bluetooth, electronics, voice dialing, etc. all work! The first time, and every time. The car has plenty of power, and will chirp the tires from a standing start if you are a bit too heavy on the gas. Handling is very European, with predictable steering and confident roadhandling

unexpected pleasant surprise

imfarkle, 10/26/2011
V6 SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6AM)

I never expected to do a deal,but i had read alot of good things about the new passat, and went for a test drive.I tested the V6 SEL and i fell in love with it. I've had it for 1 month 1000 miles. I still love it, No problems so far.

12345...21