Used 2006 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews - 404 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Volkswagen Passat Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Passat model:

Great car until the engine blows up
By Marcony

2006 Volkswagen Passat Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Purchased the car in January 2015. After 15k miles of driving it (8 months), a misfire started, took it to the dealership (Parkway Volkswagen, Valencia, CA) after $2200 of repairs they still couldn't figure out what was wrong with the car. So I kept driving it with the misfire, after 400 miles the engine blew up and it turned the car into a pile of junk. The car died with 140k miles. So, if you are planning to buy a used 2006 passat, maybe think twice before you do it. The cost of repairs are insane, 145$ an hour of labor. Plus really expensive parts. If you can find one with low miles, maybe do it, but I still would never recommend a 2006, 2007 and 2008 Passat, due to its lousy engine design (BPY engine), prone to fuel pump failures, camshaft failures, valve failures, etc. And on top of that engine electrical failures.

Best VW Ever (Other than my 1986 Sciracco)
By Jim

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have had a 2006 2.0T since it was new and have put 140,000 wonderful miles on it. I have had very few problems with mine and am amazed that so many people had reported multiple issues. Other than the routine oil changes, I did change the timing belt at 90,000 miles which is suggested. I have been looking for a new car to replace it for five years now and cannot find one that I like more then my 2006. The ride is amazingly solid and smooth with great handling. The 2.0T is powerful but provides for 30 mpg highway, 26 overall. Also the stereo is outstanding. Can anyone tell I love the car? I have been driving VW's for 30 years and this is one of the best ones ever.

Trusted freindly passat
By steven rhodes

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We bought the car used and some initial issues and vw stepped up and fixed them with no questions and even replaced some items that we did not expect. The car handled great had plenty of pep when needed and we averaged around 27 mpg. Now we do not have a lead foot but the car on the highway at over 75 still got over 30 mpg. Now after over 140k it is a sad parting as we move up to a mid size suv.

Maintenance! Total breakdown!
By Jimmy

2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I have had many problems....como. problems with this cars, recalls and minor stupid issues that should not happen at this mileage. Something about the pic valve makes your car idle rough and you must keep replacing it. The ignition coils always go out. Also biggest issue with this car is the timing belt. And not the timing belt itself, it's components. They all mess up so you must make preventive maintenance!?!? Your car can be running fine, then all of a sudden lock up your engine. This is a main problem. Sadly my friend warned me about it and then said "I told you so" to my $5000 sudden expense. [non-permissible content removed] Passat. Only few models are worth it for vw.

Don't buy this vehicle
By Justin

2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion 4dr Sedan AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I'm purchased a few VW now but I think this is the final one. My first car was a VW so there is a bit of nostalgia, but it's gone on long enough. So I purchased this vehicle used two years ago. It's a 2006 Passat 3.6 4Motion. The acceleration, driving, etc is quite good... but the reliability and built in flaws of the car make it worthless.

Specifically, when I purchased it a few weeks later one of the shocks sheared off and I had to replace that. Then, a week ago several things occurred at once and it's mind numbingly bad. I'll list the issues and the associated prices so you can gasp with me:
1. Headlights. These are HID, so they should be pricey. However, VW can't figure out how to design product, so they literally blocked one of the headlight entry ports with the windshield wiper fluid case. YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE HEADLIGHT WITHOUT REMOVING THE BUMPER. This is a thing. I'm not lying. Somebody literally built a car and blocked the headlights so you can't change them without taking the bumper off. Cost to change headlights? $800.
That's not a joke, it's $800 to change the headlights. Not even the highbeams. Just the stinking low beams. $800.
2. The trunk logo is inset... and when water gets in the inset it causes it to rust out. So I have a huge rust tramp stamp on the back of my VW because the engineer decided that having an inset logo with a well for water to sit in made sense. Price: Whatever a used trunk goes for since it'll be more expensive to have the entire thing sanded. At least $600+
3. Some random pipe broke in the engine when the headlights went out: $400
4. Super duper awesome fuel pump: $1,200+

What the what? In a world where replacing headlights and a fuel pump costs $2k... yeah, stay away from VW. The first Passat I had years ago had issues, this one has issues, and the engineering is just ridiculous. Next week I'll find out that they glued the tires to the wheels for some crazy reason and I have to replace the entire wheel when a tire goes flat. Derp.