Used 2016 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 72 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

15000 miles and running great
By Mike

2016 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T S 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Small car, great price, easy to drive and park, lots of trunk space and rear seats fold down for more. Just drove it from Tucson to Chicago (1800 miles) and I got 44 mpg for the trip with the air conditioner on and driving 70-75 mph. Incredibly efficient engine, has lots of torque and performance for city driving too! She's a plain Jane, but a tremendous value.

Get All of Your Needs and Most Wants Too!
By Braden

2016 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T S w/Technology 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Absolutely love this car for the money. Over 35K Miles, my records show a combined mileage is 37.58mpg (93 Octane). I take very good care of my cars and added accessories (Bra/Dashmat/Seat Covers) to prolong the life of the materials. I wash the car at least once a week. That said, Paint looks brand new and all interior materials are wearing very well. This version of the Jetta does not have a button to disable Traction Control, but you can buy oem parts and use vagcom (VCDS) to add the feature. This is well worth the money to do. Comfort and Convenience: All controls are simple. There are not a ton of buttons so you can adjust what you need to without be distracted from driving. There is very little chrome trim so you don't get annoying sun glare at all times of the day. You can only MANUALLY move seats forward/back/adjust height/recline, yet the drivers seat is exceptionally comfortable. The center armrest is highly adjustable. The MIB2 Head Unit is exceptionally well laid out, responsive and easy to use. The 1.4T engine has power for when you realistically need it. This is a commuter car that is peppy, but is not a race car. I have done all scheduled maintenance and have had zero issues so far. No shimmies, rattles etc. Take care of this car and I think it will take care of you. I will update in 30k more miles...

A truck guy but love this car
By Don F.

2016 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T Sport PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I got this car for gas milage and did not want to pay the price for a new truck. I have always perfered trucks over cars. Owned several different cars and trucks. I can say I realy enjoy driving this car the most. I have owned it a year. Bought it with 12000 miles have 22000 miles on it now. I get 28 miles a gallon to and from work using back roads and about 35 mile to gallon on trips using highways. This is the best handleing vehical in snow I ever have had. I have had several 4×4 and all wheel drive vehicals. I bought this car to keep for about year until I had the credit and down to get a newer truck. Well changed my mind. I am keeping the car. Just love driving this car.

cheap and unreliable car
By mc69

2016 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T Sport PZEV 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

car broke twice in 1 year to end up on the tow track on the way to the dealer. one time some heating element burned out, second time some cabling from the turbo burned out. I have owned a Jetta MKV for 5 years and i do regret giving that away for the 1.8T sport. I find it unreliable especially going for long distances. wife had hyundai that never broke once in 6 years. interior is indeed cheap and everything squeaks and rattles after few thousands miles. no more air conditioning in the back although the interior is larger. The windshield is always foggy unless you put the climate on windshield on speed 3. I cannot even say Jetta is the new hyundai b/c is not ever as reliable as a hyundai.
update: since the problem with the turbo, car seems to get longer time to crank at cold, and this worsens with every day, so i will be back to the dealer. VW warranty is also a joke b/c they do not reimburse you for rental if your break point is less than 30 miles away from home. I mostly use the car to commute to work.

The 1.4 TSI Turbo is amazing!
By CAW

2016 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T S 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased my Jetta in August 2016, and currently have over 36,000 miles on it. I commute 110 mile a day total, which explains the high mileage. At this time I have had NO mechanical issues and the only time it was in for warranty work was to adjust some interior trim. Other than that, It has been extremely reliable. As for the car, I can't believe the amount of power and speed that the 1.4 TSI engine has. If you need to put your foot on the gas-it goes. But, just as amazing is the gas mileage-which has ranged from 40 to 45 MPG-which I consider outstanding. I can get over 400 miles from the 14 gallon tank. The build quality is what you expect for an entry level car-a lot of hard plastic, but everything work and works well. I know that they have upgraded the interior fabrics for 2017, so they have tried to address this issue. But for $17,000, I ended up with a car with most amenities, great performance and plenty of interior and truck space. Also, I do my own maintenance (oil changes) and besides the need to remove an engine pan (which is easy-8 screws) the procedure is not complicated like other cars. My only complaint is that the recommended oil can be hard to find if you want to stay with exact VW specifications. But with a 10K oil change interval, it's not bad at all. Overall, this is one of the first cars I have had in years that I can see keeping for the very, very long term.