Skip to main content

Used GTI for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...9

Pros
Cons
4.5 out of 5 stars

2000 GTI VR6

sgooch70, 11/07/2005
GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

This is a great car to drive, the VR6 is a excellent. The backseats are almost worthless though. I have kids, so I am getting a larger car, however I am going to keep the GTI. I am going to keep it because when the back seats are folded down you would not believe the utility it has. I have used it to haul 6 full sized railroad ties, 1/2 a pallet of landscaping bricks (a 3/4 ton truck can only carry 1 full pallet), 4x8 peg boards, and I have two 80 lb. Labrador Retrieves - both can sleep comfortably in the back. I bought it with 60,000 miles, and I have put about $2,000 into it, and the used VW warranty has covered about $3,000 in repairs. The car has been solid since 80,000 miles. I have 91,000 on it now.

4.38 out of 5 stars

GTi 1.8 Fun Car to own

Danan, 08/03/2008
GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

It is a very fun car to drive, I have had it for more than 8 years, and 145,000 miles, still on original clutch. Never take the car to dealers, always work with local VW mechanic. Maintenance is a little bit high, but it is worth it. I have changed the ECU to after market, the car goes 20% faster and save more gas.

3.38 out of 5 stars

Extremely Unreliable

punky, 12/30/2004
GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is, by far, the most unreliable car I have ever owned. I feel compelled to warn people about buying this car. Here's just a small list of the litany of things that went wrong with the car: both electric windows fell off their tracks (expen$ive to fix), the rear window's tube for wiper fluid broke and leaked all over the interior of the car, the catalytic converter malfunctioned (emissions and performance were screwed up), the hatch lock would not lock, the glove box broke--twice, the handles for the seats constantly fell off, the wiring was constantly malfunctioning, the taillights burned out every 3 months on average, brakes torn up, etc. And I'm leaving a lot off this list.

4.63 out of 5 stars

215K plus miles

mtcranium, 12/22/2011
GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

Over 215k miles. I bought the car with 20K miles. Replaced two sets of spark plug wire/ignition coils (70K & 150K), clutch (170K), replaced various cooling connectors (180K), front brake rotors (180K), control arm bushings (210k). Now needs a water pump and thermostat. There are several interior items worn out. The cd changer has an electronic tick when hot. The center arm rest/console hinge broke, along with the stick shift console housing/ash tray wrap-around. Vanity mirror light is dead. Cigarette lighter is dead.

3.63 out of 5 stars

VWs need some quality control

1eire, 04/13/2002
GLX VR6 2dr Hatchback

I took a trip from Texas to NY and was impressed by the ride quality, the effortless way the engine pulled the car through mountains, and that I was getting 30+ highway mpg during the trip. In NY I stopped at a toll booth and rolled down the window. The window actually fell into the door and was rattling around. I found a VW dealer and they fixed it for free even though it was barely out of warranty. Nice but a window regulator shouldn't fail after 24k miles. The passenger window failed at 30k miles. VWs like the GTI and Passat drive beautifully but are also high priced for their categories and the quality and reliability should match the price. Unfortunately, that is not happening.

12345...9