Used 2012 Volkswagen Eos Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Eos Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eos model:

EOS NOT quick enough??????
By Gregory Pruss

2012 Volkswagen Eos Lux SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is a sports car period. My wife and I are in our 60s and the EOS fits our life style. A set of Michlelins on the car and hold on. Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina "look out, we tear it up." Punch the accelerator the front tires break loose in first and then going in to second "I find NO lag time on the turbo". I read reviews that people who review this car say it is slow, I say compared to what? " A Lamborghini ????? It's fun car. There is PLENTY of cargo space in the trunk. With the roof down no. SO what does this mean... Leave the roof UP if you want something in the trunk. The trunk will fit two large suite cases. We do it all the time. For long object one can take down the arm rest and fit it through, it's not much but it can do this. EOS does like Premium fuel. The roof is amazing we still watch it after 6 years and NO leaks. Over all WE like the car. Unless you drive it you will never know. The car can be mild mannered but it will take turns well.

No complaints so far...
By Mike W.

2012 Volkswagen Eos Lux SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought my 2012 Eos Lux for $15K in November 2017. I was looking for a sharp convertible that was front-wheel drive (due to the snow in Ohio) and had rollover protection. As far as I know, only Audi and VW meet that criteria. I saw my black Eos with red leatherette seats online at a mom-and-pop dealership, and it looked extremely sharp. There are some scary reviews of the Eos out there, but I haven't had any issues yet. The closest thing I've come to having an issue is that sometimes I will get a "Key not in range" message even though the key is with me and inside the car. I've discovered that if I hit the unlock button again, it fixes the issue. Other than that, the car has been completely reliable -- no issues starting, no funny noises, no problems putting the top up and down. As the professional reviewers have observed, the interior is high quality -- the dashboard is padded, the seats are sharp looking and reasonably comfortable, the controls are arranged well -- it's all good. I would say that the navigation system has no sound, and it's really a pain in the butt to use other than to just turn it on and see upcoming intersections, etc. Hence, other than looking pretty, it's essentially useless. I was also surprised to discover that trunk storage is about the size of a baseball glove. OK, I'm exaggerating a bit. But unless you want to take out the piece that enables the top to go up and down, there's very little storage -- certainly, not enough for a suitcase of any size. This isn't a family car, but if you're a single or a couple, you can always put the suitcases in the back seat. I've also found that opening just the sunroof is not a great idea; it's extremely noisy. However, it's nice to let the sunshine in by just opening the shade. Of course, the EOS is the ONLY car that has both a sunroof and a convertible top. Gas mileage has been great in the summer, especially on the highway. Overall average recently has been in the 26 mpg range. VW stopped making the Eos a few years ago, but this car still looks sharp -- especially the tail lights. The entire car looks better with the top down than it does when it's up. The car is a little short and stubby looking with the top up, and looks like pretty much any other coupe. Since these cars haven't held their value well, you should be able to grab one for $12K or $13K (2012).

Remarkable Value
By James Franz

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I can't say enough about how much I love this car. Handling is tight and the ride comfortable. The acceleration is not super sensitive but now that I'm not in my 20's I actually prefer the ease of driving of this car. The joy of driving this car along the shore is unbelievable. I used to have a mustang convertible which compared to this car is coarse and unrefined.

A Seniors toy!
By Leroy larson

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Love everything about it except the only rear seat passengers would have to be small people or double amputees.

More Issues than a Magazine stand
By Rebecca

2012 Volkswagen Eos Komfort SULEV 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I bought this car because I wanted a hardtop convertible, loved the looks of it and interior comfort level, but most importantly I wanted a reliable car in which I wouldn't have to perform much more than the yearly required maintenance on. All the reviews I read on this car gave it an extremely high ratings which is why I am shocked that I have only owned the car for 23 months and have been in the dealership for major repairs about 6-7 times. The only thing that has saved this situation is that I bought it under a CPO warranty. I would strongly advise against purchasing this vehicle that does not come with a warranty because it will break and cost you a lot of money. I have had various problems from the convertible roof leaking, to the water pump breaking, broken bluetooth, a coolant leak, broken throttle (this left me stranded on a incline ramp- that was fun), camshift disconnection, and airbag disconnection issues. I even contacted VW corporate and all they stated is that they "would take my comments into consideration". At this point even the dealership is advising me to either purchase an additional warranty or trade in, I will most likely be gladly trading this in at the end of the CPO.