Used 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Yaris model:

No Replacement for 2008 Yaris Sedan
By Ricobop

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2008 when gas went way up and commuting to work 60 miles round trip got expensive. I wasn't thrilled I had to get a smaller car, but the kids were older, didn't need car seats, etc. This car was great to drive. I loved the middle tach, and the left hand cup holder. Putting the back seats and front passenger seat down let me haul 15 feet of trim from the local hardware store. I gave it to my daughter when she went to college and bought a 2012 yaris hatchback and after 2 years gave her the hatchback and took my 2008 yaris back. My spouse is 6'4 and could drive it and ride in it with comfort, well nice head room. I had to get a new water pump, new tires and rim (cause my child drove it like a maniac). This car got through 2 kids and drivers ed. Gas - omg the gas mileage was around 38-40 mpg (mostly highway commute) The safety recalls on the airbags were a concern and I was soon to have them replaced. In August 2018 I had a driver rear end me into an SUV at a stop light. The driver airbag worked great. My 2008 red toyota yaris though, had the front end smashed and it was totaled. I LOVED this car.

Yea for Yaris
By Liz

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am short. Sight lines amazing. I get cold. Heater amazing. I drive a lot. Comfort amazing. I dont love gas stations. Mileage amazing. I love security. Locks logically amazing. I adore Yaris 2008. Truly amazing. Daily amazing. Forever amazing.

Can't be beat for several reasons!!!
By Pamela James

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car!

For the value, you really can't beat it at all.
By Kristina

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2010 after I graduated college because an affordable fuel efficienct car, and that's exactly what I got. This is a commuter car that is very basic and great on gas. It cost me around $25 to fill up and that last me for weeks. It sits a little lower to the ground so getting in and out is easier. I've had this car for over five years and the only maintenance I've done to 1. Replace timing belt ($20) and 2. Replace the battery ($110). I'd like to make not here that the original manufacturers battery from 06/2008 lasted me until 09/2015 which is terrific, it was a Panasonic battery too. I've driven to car both city and highway and talk about low maintenance. My only complain is there's not enough power to it, perhaps the manual version might be a little quicker but there have been times where I've floored it, and it took a while for transmission to kick in. Also, I've had problems with visibility and seeing out of the windshield and behind me. I've driven it in all sorts of terrain, it does pretty good in the snow with all weather tires and does great in the rain. The interior is basic but it does have a few perks like MP3 port where I plug in my I phone. My 2008 has $70,000 miles and it's still going strong, no surprise though after 70k miles I had to change the battery though. If you're on a budget and want a reliable vehicle that's great on gas, this car is great for you.

2008 sedan still going strong
By Bob

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new in 2008. Coming up on 195,000 miles. Most reliable car I have ever had. Just routine things like oil changes and tires. Replaced the belt at 150,000 miles. It has a timing chain, not a belt so as long as you change the oil on schedule that will never be a problem.
My Mechanic says its in excellent shape, it will last me several more years. I am retired, so I drive it on vacations a lot, it has been in 45 of the lower 48 states. Engine is amazing for a 1.5 I regularly cruise at 80 to 85, and you dont even feel it. Regularly gets 40 mpg combined. Only thing I do not have that I should have gotten is cruise control, and you can get one with it. Great little car, was only 13,000 brand new. I am a big guy, and what sold me on it was the great drivers head room.