2017 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

Gorgeous truck, poor towing capability
By Daney

2017 Toyota Tundra Limited FFV 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Bought in the spring of 2018 with 23,000 miles on it. First trip towing 4,000 pounds of boat / trailer was work for this truck driving Interstate 90 in western south dakota on moderately rolling hills, none steeper than 4%. Spent lots of time driving in 4th gear ON FLAT ground. The cruise control would kick off every time it dropped below 65 mph, from what I've read this is a safety feature to keep the RPMs down but so annoying. At one point, i just took the cruise off and going down hill, the vehicle actually decelerated - still with the boat hooked up. Toyota has no answers for what the problem may be. We checked trailer brakes, e-brake, tow mode off and on, literally everything and anything that would explain why this beast would not pull. Through all the problems, towing mpg was around 9 mpg, with A/C running and doing 70 mph with the cruise OFF. Regular driving with nothing being towed, it got around 11-12 MPG. I am a huge Toyota fan, but if you need decent towing performance, leave it to the big three. Broke my heart to trade my Tundra but had no choice - back to the F250 for me.

Best truck I ever own
By Eduard Khaperman

2017 Toyota Tundra Limited 4dr Double Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Great truck !!!!! I will not hesitate to buy Toyota any day . Totally love it

MPG did improve
By Casey

2017 Toyota Tundra Limited FFV 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

When I was shopping for trucks I was driving a Ford F-150 “2011”. This is the first Toyota I have owned. The dealer did informed me that the Tundra was a nice truck, built well, but gas mileage was poor. When I drove the truck the impression I felt was this is a solid truck! For the first 3000 miles my average mileage was 12.7 mpg around 5000 miles the average is now 15.6. My hi-way mileage is around 17.8 mpg @ 70mph and is 15 mpg @ 85mph (live in Montana). I always receive a compliment about the ride a feel of the truck from my passengers. I enjoy driving the truck and would not think twice about purchasing the truck again.

The SR5 has its flaws!
By Marv

2017 Toyota Tundra SR5 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

I bought a 2017 SR5 5.7L, 4wd, Crew Max, TRD version. If you want fuel economy this is not the truck for you (if you can get 11 mpg you will be lucky). This 5.7L engine comes standard with 4.30 gears in the differential (which are not highway gears but low end hauling gears) thus the pitiful gas mileage. The TRD package comes with tires better suited for off-road and have a miserable tire roar going down the road that you have to turn up the radio to hear it. I recommend just getting the 4X4 package unless you plan on doing a lot of off-road. The SR5 has no handle to grab to get into the drivers set which is a big step up to get in. All the other three doors has a handle to assist you getting in. There is only one USB port in the front cab, so you will have to use the two 12v power outlets. This SR5 has a stiff ride and the seats are hard and not very comfortable on that long road trip. My F150 was much more comfortable. Overall a very good truck with a few flaws.

Toys on wheels
By Terry Tundra

2017 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4dr CrewMax 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 6A)

Good value. If your looking for a great mpg vehicle, carry on this isn’t for you! If you want great reliable and performance stop by your local Toyota Dearlership and tell them Terry Tundra sent you.