2021 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:
12345...12

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

1st Truck Ever

David D, 11/19/2020
SR5 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had a car my whole driving career, but getting older, and being more of an outdoor person, I wanted something higher up, off road type and not family SUV like. Compared the Ford Ranger and Tacoma, and obviously went with Tacoma. The Truck rides excellent, comfortable, enough power, tech is good, bed is just enough, does need more storage I think in the cab. The complaints about the transmission is true, it is uncoordinated but manageable. I don’t expect engine or transmission problems with Toyota’s mechanical reliability. And there has been no complaints of transmission replacement of the 2020s. I don’t like the use of a key, as I’m use to push button start, seems so 90s. Higher up trims give you a push start but even the FOB looks early 2000s. Just put 1000 miles on it and still breaking it in. I feel that this truck will last a while but understand why Toyota doesn’t put all the fancy features in it right away, to reduce problems before they really had time to test them and make sure they are good so they provide a reliable vehicle.

Smooth driving Pickup truck

Edjersey , 12/01/2020
TRD Sport 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this 2021 Tacoma double cab TRD Sport weeks ago! The good part! Drives smooth transmission shift smooth but when slowing down you can feel it downshifting. Some drivers complained about vibration @25mph car is engine braking then downshift! Fuel economy is good engine and transmission are responsive Trucks is nice to drive on long drive I’m 5 11” I feel like the steering should be able to adjust more! Exhaust sounds good! The hood is 50lbs my wife can’t open the hood it’s too heavy they should’ve added a lift! No light on dash(speedo/tachometer) when driving in the morning! Gas cap anybody can just open it. it would be nice if there’s a switch to press inside the cabin to open the filler door. No pockets behind the seats. Most of the dash is made of plastics but no rattles yet, we will see in a year or so? No roof handles like the 4runners so when you’re making sharp turns the passenger can grab on the roof handles. Owned 3 4Runners and this is my 1st Tacoma Update after owning it for 7 months. The only thing that I didn’t like is the Dynamic Cruise control. They should program it to give it gas smoothly not rev it to 4k plus to keep up with traffic that’s the only thing. Other than that the trucks drives nice plenty of power. My truck is stock just upgraded tires to 265/70/17

3 out of 5 stars

Great truck, much improved

Sam, 11/06/2020
TRD Sport 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This 2021 Tacoma is a wonderful truck. I had a 2018 Tacoma but was unsatisfied with the cabin noise and transmission issues of shifting all the time. This 2021 TRD sport is very quiet, audio is improved, ride is very smooth and transmission issues of shifting all the time have disappeared. Couldn't be happier with this decision. Ordered it in August and was delivered in October. Haven't found anything I dislike about this truck.

Ad
Build Your Tacoma
At a Glance:
  • 8 Colors
  • 4 Trims
Build and Pricetoyota.com
Prototype shown with options.

I love my 2021 TRD PRO

Madiba, 12/22/2020
TRD PRO 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I will be turning 72 next month, traded the 2018 MB GLC300 for my Taco, could not be happier. Now done 1,000 miles in the 1st month of ownership, no issues, great truck. Everything just work as expected. And it looks very good in the garage next to my 2014 FJ Cruiser. 05/20/2021. I took my PRO for its 1st service today. 4,000 miles. I have had NO issues and/or complaints to date. Was in and out at the dealer in 1 hour. This truck is a gem, everything functions as per the manual and as expected. No gear hunting, squeaks or rattles what-so-ever. Good sound system, ample power, average fuel consumption just under 20mpg (truck is fitted with the aggressive GY Duratracs).

My first Taco, and her name is Maggie

Connor McCollum, 10/24/2020
SR5 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I just leased a brand new 2021 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Double Cab on my birthday and couldn't be happier! I was casually looking for used ones but sales talked me into leasing a new one to keep my payment down and not paying for depreciation (which doesn't really exist on this vehicle by the way) This truck was literally fresh off the transporter with 4 miles on it! I even saw it get unloaded from the transporter thinking there's no way that would ever be mine. It wasn't my first color choice however considering I wanted what everyone else wants, either Cement Grey, Quicksand Brown, or Cavalry Blue. Of course those colors are red-hot which makes them virtually nonexistent and dealers aren't that willing to trade. So I had to make do with what they had but I have to say this shade of Magnetic Grey (hence the truck's nickname) is growing on me. I despised it over the years but once I saw it up close in person I really enjoy the metallic sparkle when the sun hits it just right. I'm so happy to not only have the practicality of a pickup truck but also having the convenience features I've been craving. I've always wanted a vehicle with a big touchscreen infotainment system and thankfully for 2020 onward, they added that as standard. Same goes for the power driver's seat. You can find the perfect seating position this way. Even the little features get me giddy such as a sunglasses holder, the LED dome light package, the behind-the-seats storage, a power sliding rear window, LED bedlights, and automatic climate control. The only feature that it's missing is push-button start, which should be standard considering all the money they charge for these trucks! Fuel economy is pretty decent. With a full tank of gas my range was 375 miles! It's been almost two weeks since the fill-up and I'm still at more than half a tank! And that's in-town driving! That's why I don't get these complaints about fuel economy. I did notice the transmission is a bit sluggish which is a complaint that I can actually agree with. The truck has a hard time finding gears especially from second to third. It also seems to clunk when downshifting or reeving at high RPMs. This shouldn't be the case considering it's only a six-speed. They've been using this transmission for years and it's just now suffering problems. But I'm just happy it's not turbocharged or a CVT which are prone to failure. Overall, I made a wise decision. You can't go wrong with a pickup truck. I can always find time to utilize it. And it's a midsize so parking and maneuverability is pretty decent. Also, this has the highest residual value of any vehicle in the market going for it. Not to mention it looks good. This is the best looking midsize on the market which is one of the reasons so many people go for it. And it's reliable. All I have to do is routine maintenance and I'm good to go!

3 out of 5 stars