Used 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific RAV4 Hybrid model:

Our 1st Hybrid
By Andrew

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

For the first 27 months we averaged 38 mpg while living just outside of Tucson, AZ. Traveling cross country with the SUV fully loaded, we still averaged 35 mpg. This same mpg has continued in SC where we now live. We have not yet spent a penny on maintenance outside of oil changes every 5,000 miles. The SUV is very reliable, comfortable, solid, and also very easy getting in and out of the vehicle. I would hesitate to buy this vehicle again

Is my lease up already??
By Tex Cymbal

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I really like my 2016 XLE Hybrid RAV4. In many ways, it's the best car I've ever owned. I had a Prius once upon a time and while that was a fantastic car too, I started to yearn for something a bit higher off the ground, as well as something that had the ability to tow at least 1000 lb. The RAV4 Hybrid has really fit the bill. Over the past 3 years it has performed flawlessly, with only 2 small nits to pick. First, the seats could use more lumbar support. I have a loose mid back and while the seats in the RAV aren't bad, they aren't particularly great either. Just a little more padding in the lumbar area would have made me a happy camper. Second, the navigation system really is atrocious. Just don't bother trying to fiddle with it. Put your phone in the cupholder and use the phone's nav. Overall though, I really like this car a lot and I'm going to be sad to see it go. My lease will be up soon and unfortunately, what made the RAV a great lease is ironically the same thing that will make it an expensive purchase: The high residual value. Lease payments are of course based on the difference between the original purchase price and the expected residual value at the end of the lease. Since Toyotas hold their value so well, I'll end up paying significantly more to buy out the lease than I ever paid in lease payments themselves. Which is sad because I don't really want to get rid of it. But I'm a stingy penny pincher, so I'll look for cheaper options and remember fondly the years I spent with my RAV4 Hybrid.

Great AWD Hybrid
By Mike

Best reliability

Gas miser.
By Andrew

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Like most Toyota sedans or SUVs, this RAV4 is so completely reliable that in 30 months I have not spent a single penny outside of normal oil changes. And the gas mileage is fantastic. Living in AZ we averaged about 38 mpg and here in SC about 36. For the money a fantastic SUV.

Repair Scam
By Ann Gallo

2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We bought the car Sept.2016 and loved it until now with service regarding the AC drain. Apparently, due to the design of the AC unit, when the AC drain gets clogged, the water that should drain out of the AC unit will back up under the rug and under the mats of the driver and passenger seats until you discover the water. Bringing it to Toyota to find out what happened was a real eye opener. Apparently this happens alot, and no, they do not check the drain when you bring it in for the checkups. We were told that the only thing Toyota would do for us would be to dry out the carpet. Replacing the carpet is not covered under any warranty or extended warranty and it would cost $1000 to replace the carpeting. Toyota suggested we contact our car insurance agent to see about having the car insurance pay for the replacement of the carpeting as that would be covered (of course minus the deductible). What a scam! Toyota knows how to get away with not fixing a problem by having another company pay for it. We are not happy. We will never buy another Toyota again.