2021 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

Save as much as $2,382
Incentive offers available
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Prius is still the king in my book.

Pete in Florida, 12/17/2020
XLE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 2021 Prius XLE a little over a month ago. This is my 4th Prius I've owned. This one is definitely my favorite. Heated seats and heated steering wheel, all the safety stuff, Alexa and Android Auto, leather. The car feels more substantial than the other Priuses I've owned. Fuel mileage obviously is insane, 55 mpgs on the highway, and city driving is always over 60 mpgs. The handling seems better than the earlier versions. The car also seems to have more power when in using purely electric. No, this is not the PRIME version of the Prius. I mean when one is just driving in city traffic, there seems to be more power. The car drives more solidly, with not a single rattle or odd ball noise. The car is perfect.

1st hybrid, so far, love it

surly jason, 04/10/2021
LE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned a ton of cars through the years; back in 2014, I got a Prius as a rental car and remember enjoying it very much. I finally got tired of putting gas in my tank and started doing some research on Prii -- they are made in Japan and have legendary reliability. Checking fuelly, it seems like the later models all get about 50 mpg. I test drove several Prii but finally settled on a gray LE model with black interior. I've owned it about 3 weeks and 1,200 miles and really like it: it's extremely quiet, smooth and pleasant to drive. I've had to put gas in it twice which is a welcome relief. It's not that I can't afford gas, I just hate stopping to put it in. I no longer feel compelled to gas up after taking a 200-mile trip because there's still about 350 - 400 miles of range left (which is what many cars have with a full tank -- like my previous CRV, for instance). I can't imagine going back to a conventional car that gets conventional mileage. There is definitely a place for larger vehicles -- like if you have a large family, you're a tradesman and carry a bunch of stuff around, or you tow things -- but I bet if lots of people were honest with themselves and what their needs are, and they tried a Prius, they'd be pleased. I am extremely happy with my purchase.

new to hybrids review

Eleanor, 04/10/2021
LE AWD-e 4dr Hatchback AWD (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

There is a lot to learn for someone who has never driven a hybrid or a car with as much info on the instrument cluster as the 2021 Prius Hybrid LE with AWD. So far, the car is handling well and there is lots of interior space. I am entertained by the car's evaluation of my driving efficiency after I turn the power off. So far, I have been told that I accelerated too much, used the A/C efficiently, need to moderate my use of A/C, could drive at more consistent speeds.

Ad
Build Your Prius
At a Glance:
  • 7 Colors
  • 7 Trims
See pricing and options on your next Toyota
Vehicle shown with options using visual effects.

excellent mature vehicle

james nicol, 03/09/2021
LE AWD-e 4dr Hatchback AWD (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

perfect for most driving applications excellent seating and hatchback versatility would prefer an old school cd player option made in japan prius le awd base bullet proof ---all you need is this and a 4runner for ever

Humble and Quality Piece of Engineering

Sonny, 05/20/2021
L Eco 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded in my 2017 Toyota Prius One series for a 2021 Prius L Eco series. There were several updates and changes made which made it worth trading it in, especially since I had 94,000 miles in the four years that I had the 2017. The new version tones down the exterior design and puts some nice, high quality matching touches in the interior. I absolutely love all the changes and updates and I love how the Eco version maximizes on fuel economy more than ever. I feel the Prius is about $3,000 overpriced and it should be at $22 to $23,000 total cost including destination. The new model year seems like it doesn't scrape on the front end bottom as much as the 2017 did which is a plus and maybe they raised the ground clearance a little and I appreciate this. I'm not a very luxury oriented person and I don't like very many frills and options. Tesla seems to be a much more popular seller, however, I still don't ever see myself as a Tesla owner at this time. Overall, I'm getting about 5-10 miles more per gallon of fuel economy compared to my 2017 one series. I opted for the deep Red metallic exterior for a second time in a row since it clicks with me most. The Prius design with the hatchback allows plenty of versatility and room. It wasn't smart for me to trade in my 94,000 mile 2017 and I probably could have easily added up another 100 or 200,000 miles on top of it. This was more of an emotional purchase. There are most probably better cars to purchase for this type of money, however, I really enjoy the engineering, technology, and the humility which the Prius brings to the table. I appreciate the low key improvements which don't attract as much attention as the first design that came out in 2016. The base L Eco comes very well equipped and I don't see me needing or wanting the extra options which the higher trims bring to the table. The Prius Prime seems attractive, however, it adds more complexity and cost. Overall, the new Prius L Eco has everything I need and want in a vehicle except for large SUV capacity and size. I plan to replace the factory tires once worn out with Michelin Defender tires. I wish I could have kept my '17 Prius and not traded in, and just added the new '21 Prius to the garage. The '17 just felt like it had a lot more life and strength in it, but I decided to let it go to keep the garage simple at this time. I do see myself keeping at least a couple of Prius vehicles at the same time down the line. I'm starting to look at a Prius as a smart investment, whereas any other car purchase would be emotional depreciation money pit. A lot of people don't like the Prius and they find it geeky and I was one of them until I started to truly appreciate the Prius for what it is. I