Skip to main content

$24,525

Save as much as $362
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Prius is still the king in my book.

Pete in Florida, 12/17/2020
XLE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my 2021 Prius XLE a little over a month ago. This is my 4th Prius I've owned. This one is definitely my favorite. Heated seats and heated steering wheel, all the safety stuff, Alexa and Android Auto, leather. The car feels more substantial than the other Priuses I've owned. Fuel mileage obviously is insane, 55 mpgs on the highway, and city driving is always over 60 mpgs. The handling seems better than the earlier versions. The car also seems to have more power when in using purely electric. No, this is not the PRIME version of the Prius. I mean when one is just driving in city traffic, there seems to be more power. The car drives more solidly, with not a single rattle or odd ball noise. The car is perfect.

1st hybrid, so far, love it

surly jason, 04/10/2021
updated 04/18/2022
LE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned a ton of cars through the years; back in 2014, I got a Prius as a rental and remember enjoying it very much. I finally got tired of putting gas in my tank and started doing some research on Prii -- they are made in Japan and have legendary reliability. Checking fuelly, it seems like the later models all get about 50 mpg. I test drove several Prii but decided on a gray LE model with black interior. I've owned it about 3 weeks and 1,200 miles and really like it: it's extremely quiet, smooth and pleasant to drive. I've had to put gas in it twice which is a welcome relief. It's not that I can't afford gas, I just hate stopping to put it in. I no longer feel compelled to gas up after taking a 200-mile trip because there's still about 350 - 400 miles of range left (which is what many cars have with a full tank -- like my previous CRV, for instance). I can't imagine going back to a conventional car that gets conventional mileage. There is definitely a place for larger vehicles -- like if you have a large family, you're a tradesman and carry a bunch of stuff around, or you tow things -- but I bet if lots of people were honest with themselves and what their needs are, and they tried a Prius, they'd be pleased. I am extremely happy with my purchase. UPDATE, 10/12: Love this car. I have right around 8,000 miles on it and the vehicle has consumed 134 gallons of gasoline. My operating cost per mile is about $0.51. I love how quiet the car is. The air conditioning is also the coldest and most effective system I've experienced. I am hoping the heat will be half as effective come winter and I'll be happy. I'm about 6' tall and I feel comfy in the car but I can see how a larger car could be more comfortable for someone who wants more legroom; as it is, I scrape the tops of my legs against the bottom of the steering wheel upon entry and exit. Improvements I'd like: the steering wheel to telescope out further. The automatic locking system to work on all doors not just the driver's door (I have to fish out my key fob to open the hatch if it's locked -- most newer cars have a proximity sensor so when you're near the car, pressing any of the external buttons unlocks the doors without resorting to pushing the buttons on the fob). I'd also like a self-dimming rear mirror. This is a pretty basic car and it could be that higher trim levels address my wants. I don't plan to get rid of this car but I could see getting a Camry or a RAV4 hybrid to supplement this vehicle when my significant other's car nears time for replacement. I am just so impressed with this car. I bought it to take us places on the weekends so we don't have to think about gas and it's met every expectation. I rarely go below a half-tank which means we travel about 300 miles and consume about 5 gallons of fuel doing so. The fuel range is phenomenal and I love driving the thing. April 17th, 2022 update: have owned "Alice" more than a year and over 13k miles. Still love the car and enjoy driving it every time. Mpg dipped to high 40s / low 50s over the winter but is rebounding to mid to upper 50s as it's getting warmer. One of many things I love is leaving the car "on" with the heat running while getting gas because the engine stays off and I re-enter a toasty car. The biggest thing I dislike is how low Prius is. They make lift-kits for these and honestly 1 1/2" of height would be terrific. I'm not buying a lift-kit but it would be helpful. The car is great and I still think 80% of motorists could get by with a Prius. I love my little putt-putt !!

new to hybrids review

Eleanor, 04/10/2021
LE AWD-e 4dr Hatchback AWD (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

There is a lot to learn for someone who has never driven a hybrid or a car with as much info on the instrument cluster as the 2021 Prius Hybrid LE with AWD. So far, the car is handling well and there is lots of interior space. I am entertained by the car's evaluation of my driving efficiency after I turn the power off. So far, I have been told that I accelerated too much, used the A/C efficiently, need to moderate my use of A/C, could drive at more consistent speeds.

5 out of 5 stars

Fifth and best of the bunch

daveatmoon, 05/22/2021
updated 05/24/2022
LE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 2021 Prius is just old enough now to get it's first tank of gas. 53.4 MPG from the first tank (all city) is the best I've ever done, especially since it was reading 30 MPG and 20 miles 3 weeks ago when I bought it. You can really feel the difference the Li-Hydride battery makes in power and economy. I've had 5 Priuses (2005, 2010, 2013, 2017 [PriusV], 2021). Each one is a remarkable improvement over the last. All but one has seen 100k miles, and I still have 3 of them. I don't remember what getting a car repaired is like any more. I do have one complaint about the new one. Previous Priuses all had generous dual gloveboxes that held tons. This car has one that BARELY contains the manuals. Way too small! ---It's now been 1 year and I'm more impressed than ever. In 9000 miles fuel mileage is a consistent 53 mpg regardless of city/highway use. The car accelerates and brakes more than adequately for a family car, and it otherwise handles better than a family car should. (This from an owner of 2 true sports cars.) Every feature on the car functions perfectly. Seats could be a little more comfortable & supportive, but then why would Lexus exist?

Turn Back The Clock on High Fual Prices

Tech-guy, 08/17/2021
XLE AWD-e 4dr Hatchback AWD (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Smart car with more buttons than the space shuttle. Excellent example of technology at its finest. Consistent 50+ miles per gallon. Great climate control system. Why my phone has to do the navigation, rather than the Prius Computers, is a total mystery. I had a Gen 1 Prius I loved. My daughter drives it now, (17+ years later). I missed the intelligent layout of the dash board. Most cars you look down, and through the steering wheel to view the instruments. Prius is better, you can drive the car at night with no dash illumination in your eyes. The "quiet" is wonderful too. No power seats, no power hatch. I miss them for sure. Cruise control is absolutely perfect. The intuitive cruise control lever makes great sense. No looking down to find the right button. Headlights are spooky, as they move to illuminate the most important part of the road, and self level. Big miss is the light color trim on the dashboard. You will wear sunglasses on sunny days, to avoid the blinding glare reflecting off of that nearly white dash. CarPlay system works, but has a "clunky" outdated feel to it. I bought a Prius for the great fuel economy, which requires saving weight. A better choice for me would be to: INCLUDE A SPARE TIRE, and maybe make up the weight by reducing the size of the rear glass. Glass is heavy, and the big back glass, does nothing to improve rear vision, which is only adequate, not great. Another place that the mileage effect of a compact spare tire could be offset, may be aerodynamics. Judging by how much dust collects on the rear bumper and hatch apron, I would guess the airflow degenerates into a horizontal vortex in the back of the car. Sure that is only a factor at highway speeds, but when you are looking for tenths of percent increases in mileage, every little thing helps. I think I will go on a diet. If I loose 10 pounds, I will get a few tenths better fuel economy. The other Big Mystery, is the "PRIUS STIGMA". Yes, it does seem to exist. The cars have a more sporty conventional look now. (The color choices are pathetic). They have great acceleration, and an accurate speedometer. Amazingly accurate cruise control. Not sure why my Prius is, "the car to pass". As for me, I pass a Subaru, the ones that constantly go 10 MPH less than the posted limit. If the size works for you, then give the Prius a test drive. My guess is, you will find that things you heard, or maybe thought would be objectionable, were misunderstandings. It is a great car, and if you keep it a few years, the cost to own, and drive, is very reasonable. Remember, your country's standard of living can be largely defined as: "Kilowatts per Capita" (that our incomes can afford). Where is the right place to get that energy? At least for the foreseeable future, "All of the Above". Science should define our politics, but currently, politics is defining science.