2017 Toyota Prius Prime Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius Prime model:

100 MPG!
By Ronald Johnson

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you plug in after each errand you can use virtually no gas at all. We made a 500 mile trip using no plug in at all and still averaged 61 mpg!

Better electric range than EPA rating
By Giuseppe Verdi

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Advanced 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Primary reason for buying a Prius is fuel efficiency. I have not been to a gas station yet, so I don't know the mpg. But except for one trip of about 450 miles, all of my miles have been electric miles, and I estimate that I am getting about 4.6 miles/kWh or better. That's equivalent to 155 mpg-e, much better than the EPA rating of 133. Admittedly, my driving has been "gentle", and very little of it at highway speeds. On the negative side, the touch-screen layout need improvement, presumably just a firmware upgrade (which Toyota should offer at no cost to owners). One example: when the speed limit is displayed, the numbers are TINY.

Just the car I wanted
By Rajesh Pankaj

I bought this car a year ago in April 2017. I was driving a 10 year old Lexus RX350. But kids are grown and I don't need an SUV. My criteria were as follows: Needs to be plug-in hybrid with at least 20 miles of EV range (environmentally friendly but didn't want range anxiety), and must have adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, and blind spot monitor. Also, I was not willing to pay more than $50k for a car. Ultimately, it came down to Chevy Volt, Ford Fusion plug in hybrid, and this one. The other two cars have been available longer but I like the boring reliability of Toyota. The car delivered. My commute is 8 miles one way and I can charge at work and got a level 2 charger for home. My first fill up was at 3000 miles. I live in San Diego and with my driving pattern I would easily go 3000 miles between fill ups if I actually filled my tank and didn't drive to Los Angeles periodically for fun. Adaptive cruise control works well and so does blind spot monitoring. Lane keeping assist is OK but not great. But I don't think it's an issue with this car alone. The car also came with heads up display (love it), and parallel parking assist (works well when I need it which is not often). People have complained about acceleration. I never have any trouble merging on freeways. The fact that electric motor delivers all the torque at zero speed has helped me escape things without any problem. A couple of minor negatives: (1) The touch screen is not the best interface to do things while I am driving. I know everyone wants to emulate Tesla but I wish there were actual knobs. (2) The passenger side seat does not have power adjustment. I would have paid a little more for that. (3) Back-in parking assist's success is spotty (unlike the parallel parking which has never failed me). Actually it is a single button that you press and the car looks for a spot (parallel or back-in). But its detector for when it found a spot you can back into (for perpendicular parking) only works sporadically. If it finds one correctly, the assist works perfectly. (4) Small trunk. But to be expected given the battery size. Hatchback means I can create a bigger trunk in exchange for carrying fewer people. Also it comes with free maintenance for 2 years. Overall, super happy with the car.

Not a mosaic but rather a smorgasbord.
By norman bookstein

Not a mosaic but rather a smorgasbord of poorly integrated parts. Not built from the bottom up, but assembled from poorly understood parts from a standard chassis. Downright dangerous car, if it takes 4 pop-up menus (each different) to tune the radio at 60 mph......... Navigation system is impossible, but still does not use android or iPhone features. Never figured out the climate system and doesn't work well at best. Noisy - esp. road noise. visibility poor, as most prius' (except the stn wagon) Extra charge safety features (due to be mandated) are poorly executed e.g., blind spot detection. virtually no interior storage for pencil etc. Android charging platform barely works and with each road bump shifts the phone so it no longer charges. USB port poorly located. glove box just large enough for owner's manual alone, which you need to find out features (though so poorly written that you're not too likely to use it) The advanced model brings you poorly designed features that you are not likely to use, the entry level model is the one to buy - reasonable price and things work kind of as they should.

Owners Manual sugested use 4 gallons of gas a year
By Roy Smith

I laughed when I read about refreshing the gas yearly. But I now have had the car three months and still have over half of the tank of gas the dealer provided when I bought the car, and I have driven 1,200 miles. As I have discovered most of my daily travel involves trips of less than 30 miles. The car claims a 25 mile range but the battery meter has at times registered capacity over 30 miles. I have also not seen any measurable change in my electric bill. I have no Idea how many miles I will be able to travel before I need to put gas in the car. This is great and the car is so quiet when running on electric! Roy Smith