2017 Toyota Prius Prime Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius Prime model:

Not a mosaic but rather a smorgasbord.
By norman bookstein

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Advanced 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Not a mosaic but rather a smorgasbord of poorly integrated parts. Not built from the bottom up, but assembled from poorly understood parts from a standard chassis. Downright dangerous car, if it takes 4 pop-up menus (each different) to tune the radio at 60 mph......... Navigation system is impossible, but still does not use android or iPhone features. Never figured out the climate system and doesn't work well at best. Noisy - esp. road noise. visibility poor, as most prius' (except the stn wagon) Extra charge safety features (due to be mandated) are poorly executed e.g., blind spot detection. virtually no interior storage for pencil etc. Android charging platform barely works and with each road bump shifts the phone so it no longer charges. USB port poorly located. glove box just large enough for owner's manual alone, which you need to find out features (though so poorly written that you're not too likely to use it) The advanced model brings you poorly designed features that you are not likely to use, the entry level model is the one to buy - reasonable price and things work kind of as they should.

Owners Manual sugested use 4 gallons of gas a year
By Roy Smith

I laughed when I read about refreshing the gas yearly. But I now have had the car three months and still have over half of the tank of gas the dealer provided when I bought the car, and I have driven 1,200 miles. As I have discovered most of my daily travel involves trips of less than 30 miles. The car claims a 25 mile range but the battery meter has at times registered capacity over 30 miles. I have also not seen any measurable change in my electric bill. I have no Idea how many miles I will be able to travel before I need to put gas in the car. This is great and the car is so quiet when running on electric! Roy Smith

Come for the fuel economy, stay for the features
By Matthew Stern

Prius is synonymous for hybrid, and the Prius Prime is the next step forward. The plug-in battery has worked better than I expected. Since most of my driving is within the 25-mile battery-only range (and I've been able to get the range up to 27.5 miles), I can go for weeks without buying gas. I'm glad that I splurged for the Advanced trim level, because I appreciate features like the heads-up display, rear cross-traffic sensors, and lane departure warnings. The SofTex heated seats with electrical adjustments are comfortable. I also like the Entune app that enables monitor my car charging and turn on climate control remotely. Be aware that you are losing trunk space and a third passenger seat in the back because of the extra batteries. Navigation is large and readable, but you have to update maps through your dealer. CarPlay support would have been nice. I hope that Toyota will make it available as an upgrade. Overall, I'm happy with my Prius Prime.

94 mpg and climbing!
By Bobby

It is ideal for travelling under 25 miles. I usually put it on EV mode so I don't know what hybrid mode would do for the fuel economy. The car handles OK, not great. It tends to wander from one side to the other and it feels like it is overloaded probably because of the added weight of the batteries. I feel safe in it and it actually has taught me how to drive better. In my Camry I tend to be agressive and my mpg shows it. In this car I tend to go the speed limit and accelerate at a slower rate just to keep the mpg higher. So it does add a psychological aspect to driving that in my case is a positive. I would highly recommend this car for safety, green environment, economy and reliability. Not so much for handling or longer trips but that is not why I bought it.

Regret
By Tim Kientz

2017 Toyota Prius Prime Plus 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have a little over 12,000 miles now on my 2017 Prime. I purchased it so that I would perhaps reduce my carbon footprint and also save money by not having to buy so much gas. About 2 months ago I had to have the lock mechanism replaced on the passenger side rear door because it became impossible to open. Then while driving through a parking lot I ran over a dip in the pavement that resulted in damage to the lower front panel which cost $700 to repair. I again sustained damage to the lower panel from scraping on one of those concrete parking barriers. I would assert that the car is too low slung(design flaw). So with those two repairs this vehicle is costing me much more than it is saving. Then two days ago I went to fill the gas tank since it was down to about a 1/4 tank. As I initiated the gas flow it immediately gushed back out and on to the ground, and my foot. After some investigation online I find that the problem has been described before, apparently has to do with the bladder. lastly this car has developed an annoying rattle somewhere in the dashboard. I regret buying this car and would never purchase another one.