MSRP Starting at
$38,200

Save as much as $4,831
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Best MPG's of any full size SUV

Alfonzo, 06/14/2020
LE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Vehicle: purchased new, 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid All Wheel Drive / Trim level "LE" (base model). Plenty of power to climb hills and comfortable as well to drive and for passenger comfort. I tried it in all wheel drive (trail mode) on the Oregon Coast where you are allowed to drive on the beach in certain areas. Even in all wheel drive MPG in the sand for about 12 miles was 22 MPG. So far with with 2 documented fill ups at Costco (regular 87 octane with 10% Ethanol) our vehicle had consumed 11.113 gals of gas for 445.7 miles for an average of 40.1 MPG. With myself and fishing gear this vehicle weighs 4,700 lbs on Oregon Dept. of Transportation certified truck scale. With my wife and all our camping and fishing gear well over 5,000 lbs. No other full size SUV can compare to this vehicle. Also you can tow a trailer up to 3,500 lbs as well, and the interior has the capacity for a total of 7 passengers and driver for a total of 8 people.

A Great Upgrade From A Prius!

Mark from Orlando, 04/29/2020
XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After nearly a decade of owning 2 different Prius models, I am very happy to say that that our new 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid XLE is a welcome addition to our family. Not only is it extremely comfortable, but the ride quality is an amazing experience. Quiet, comfortable and yet still great on gas mileage. We are approaching 40 miles per gallon on average and yet there is plenty of power when we want or need it. We chose the Moon Dust color and this with the redesigned body really swayed us to upgrade from another Prius to this model. We do not regret the decision at all. I will say this is a 5 star vehicle, especially if you want to save on gas, but need or want more room than a Prius can offer.

Great car, love it

Stu, 07/30/2020
Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Just put the first thousand miles on my Highlander Hybrid Platinum and it is really something that the market is lacking, a bigger SUV with great gas mileage. First, I moved into this after driving a 2016 Outback for the last five year, another great car, but with both kids out of college I wanted something more upper end without spending 80 grand. The Platinum was just over $48,000 and includes all the nice features, heated and cooled leather seats, panoramic sunroof, and 12 inch screen, Android Auto, etc, etc. I have been getting about 36 mpg, which is impressive for all the room it has. I don't use the small 3rd row, I wanted it for extra storage (golf clubs, cart, shoes), so the size wasn't a problem for me. It drives smooth, but not sporty. The Outback was more fun to drive, the Highlander is more smooth, quiet, and luxurious, which is more important to me these days. The three driving modes are great and it has plenty of power going up mountain passes in Washington in sport mode, even normal, once around town and commuting on the freeway I keep it in eco, whish is more than enough power. Not a perfect vehicle, sunroof is huge, but only opens halfway, why? The lane assist can be annoying since it reads anything that might be a painted lane, so I just turn it off in cruise control, gas tank has to be nursed when filling for the last couple gallons, wants to turn off. Finally the 12 inch screen is great, but cannot be full screen, so it always has 2-3 things on it, that change could be coming with a simple software update, but it is not an efficient use of such a nice screen. JBL 11 speaker sound system is fantastic. Overall, I would recommend this car, really nice if you want luxury and smooth drive. ****9000 mile update I continue to really enjoy this car, since there has not been any snow in the lowlands this winter, I cannot say how it drives in the snow, but in the mountains a couple of times, with Bridgestone Blizzak tires, it gripped well and the AWD seems to work seamlessly. Gas mileage in the winter is down, getting mostly 32-34 MPG driving in Normal mode. Find the brakes to be a little funky, especially when it drops from gas to battery at the same time I am slowing down, almost feels like the brakes don't work for a moment, but once you get used to it, it is no big deal. Leather seats are very comfortable, third row down makes for tons of rear storage. The Platinum provides all the features I would need and they all work nicely. 37-38 MPG in the summer, 32-24 in the winter, I can live with that for such a large SUV. With COVID, I only go into the office three times a week, so I only fill my tank, which costs about $30, every couple of weeks, amazing.

Ad
Build Your Highlander Hybrid
At a Glance:
  • 4 Trims

Worth the upgrade to Highlander

GS Brooks, 07/03/2020
XLE 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Looked at Rav4, needed more room and better highway ride. Highlander Hybrid XLE was the right car. Averaging 35 mpg. Toyota has a good reputation for service, reliability and resale. Probably should have gotten the LE, XLE has to many dials, buttons and electronic stuff we will never use. We were overwhelmed with the instructions on how to connect with Onstar and mobile APP. One thing I don't like, is many of the features on this model are on a trial basis, when the trial runs out you have to pay a monthly fee to use. Other car makers, these features are standard and are part of the total package. Look carefully at what you are getting, and ask questions.

** Updated 5,000 Mile Review**

Highlander Hybrid enthusiast, 05/09/2020
XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

**** New Vehicle Review**. Will post further reviews with miles but have to say I'm very happy so far. I traded in my Rav-4 Hybrid Limited-2019 since our family grew and we needed extra space for the inlaws..... (tip#1: never trade in to a dealer but everyone knows that). Purchased an XLE and wow. The ride and drive is in my opinion is much more than the Rav-4. It glides. Also the vehicle is "solid" and much more sturdier than the Rav-4. Seats are more comfortable as well. Yes the third row seat bench is small but the Captain Chairs on second row move forward. It will work well. I'll post further updates on mileage. ** One concern though is when I fill the gas tank it shut off at 11 gallons but has 17.1. I had nurse about 3 gallons. As you've read, Rav 4 Hybrid's had this gas tank issue so will keep an eye on this** ***********************************UPDATED JUNE 30 2020/ 2500 MILE REVIEW*************** Posted a previous Review when we first purchased the vehicle. Again, I traded in our Rav4 Hybrid for increase in size. Overall so far has mostly positives with few negatives..... but I will say we are only at 31.2 mpg overall with the Odometer.....so no where close to the advertised 35/36 MPG for the Hybrid. Positives: -Ride and comfort. Rides much smoother than the Rav4 Hybrid and seats are also more comfortable . -More room. Yes the 3rd row is not for long road trips and really made for smaller adults (5'4) and kids.....but it's extra room if you need it and works for our kids. If your are tall it would be a challenge to sit there for any length of time. Negatives: -Not getting the MPG I was anticipating. 31.3 overall.....I've also noticed compared to my Rav 4 Hybrid that the EV mode does not flip on as much? So disappointed on that end. I'm not sure if Toyota plans on a Plug In Highlander....that would be great! So overall happy with our choice. I'm thinking I should have waited to see if a Plug In Highlander is in the works but would be a while yet. Nice, comfortably and safe ride. Will keep you updated with the miles. ******** UPDATED 5,000 MILE REVIEW SEPTEMBER 24,2020**** Just updating review. I really enjoy this vehicle to date. MPG still 32-33.... mixed driving with best at 34 so close to Rated MPG. Very comfortable ride and still happy on purchase. Wish list would be plug in vs all EV Highlander!! If families would recommend bench seat on second row for kids....!