Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 192 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Great SUV
By NA

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had our Highlander Hybrid for 12.5 years/180,000+ miles and it is still going strong; minimal mechanic charges; just a great all around vehicle for our family.

This is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned
By Karin Ebertz

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you want the room, storage and hauling capability of an SUV combined with good gas mileage, this is the vehicle for you. While the average mpg is not better than a more recent vehicle such as a smaller sedan, it's wonderful to know that the hybrid engine makes for cleaner emissions. And I love the quietness of the drive, and the awesome acceleration when you need to pass a vehicle. I have offered to give this Highlander to a daughter who is driving an old Cavalier. It's going to be such a step up for her.

This Hybrid is a Technological Marvel!
By Ted Farabee

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is powerful, comfortable, and reliable after 6 months of ownership. However, it does not surprise me with it's gas mileage. I mean it a big luxurious box and not wedge shaped like the Prius. It gets 25 mpg at 80 and averages 23.5 mpg with in town driving. Since the temperature dropped it is getting 17.5 mpg. I bought the car used from a local dealership and had it checked by the Toyota dealership twice. Once before I bought it and then after. The Highlander had some maintenance items that were due for attention, spark plugs, coolant etc. Through all that a cracked radiator was missed. I saw no pink coolant on the ground, but did notice the overfill tank was not staying at level. They did not notice it after two inspections and flushing the radiator. It's important to do a Carfax. The inverter was replaced under recall. The steering part was replaced under recall. The timing belt was replaced at 88,000 miles. These are important things to check on this particular year and model of the Toyota Highlander. Yes, I always do my research. I feel that I got a fair price of 11,000 for this overbuilt tank. The Hybrid system is fascinating. I believe this SUV could be good for anyone that does their research and follows the maintenance schedule. Carfax is extremely important. Car Fax sold this vehicle to me - not the dealer. Make sure the recalls are done or run away, don't walk. I probably would have found the parts second hand. However, the beast is fun to drive on the interstate. It feels big, but is maneuverable in town. The power for a midsized SUV is insane. I am hoping to get 100,000 more miles out of it. I think it's going to make it.

Perfect SUV for me!
By JJ Boulay

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has amazing MPG because it is a hybrid, has great acceleration and control. Easy to maneuver. The only thing I do not like is that there is no auxiliary cord.

Love the Car, not the mpg
By tthelin

We don't get the fuel economy we had hoped.
We do a lot of driving on rural roads and highways, so speeds or 45 to 80 are the normal range, and we average about 25.5 mpg long term.
Even on the rare occasions when we use an entire tank of fuel while driving in the city at 35 mph or less we only get around 28 mpg or so.
2) We installed a trailer hitch, which was easy to do and cost less than $250.
Around $150 for the hitch online, and $75 or so for the wiring jumper from Toyota.
The Highlander Hybrid pulls a 3500 lb mgw trailer very well, even when fully loaded, but the fuel economy drops to around 15 mpg with the trailer.
3) We purchased an special treatment for the cloth seats, since we have kids, and it doesn't seem to have helped at all.
The seats stain pretty easily, and we are to far from the dealer to bring it in for cleaning or to use the warranty we purchased.
I wouldn't recommend it.
We still like the cloth seats better than the leather seats, but we should have used the $500 buck or whatever we spent on the treatment to buy good seat covers.
4) We also purchased the Diamon Glass treatment.
It didn't keep us from getting rock chips, although we did use the warranty to repair a couple of them. We have learned that most full coverage insurance will cover windshield repair anyway, so we could have saved the money on that treatment also.
It also doesn't keep the water off any better than a good Rain-X treatment.

5) We were mystified by one electrical problem a year or so ago in which we started to experience a delay in the starting of the Hybrid System when you turned the key to start.
At the same time we noticed we could not leave a door open, or a light on in the car for more than a few minutes with the car turned off, or the battery would die and the car wouldn't start.
We lived with this for about a year, just being careful to not allow the battery to drain, and occaisionally having to use a jump battery(which I always carry for emergencies) to start it.
The I finally decided to test the car battery, and found it going bad so we replaced it.
the Hybrid is back to working like new now.

outside air temperature readout