Used 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 193 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

WORST VEHICLE IVE EVER OWNED!!!!
By JOHN SMITH

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car gets worse gas millage then my bosses full size F-150 which is garbage. The maintance cost is way too high. The brakes are horrible and the abs actuator is a known problem for going out. The battery under the rear seat is way too high in cost and is not a lifetime battery like Toyota claims. The comfort is not what it should be. The awd is not really awd it is front wheel drive until the front wheels spin then a motor turns on the rear wheels. The towing capicity for an suv is bad at a max of 3500 lbs, which a full size Chevrolet car can tow. I average 22 miles per gallon which is almost two miles a gallon less then a F150 pickup. Think about that for a second a truck that weighs more and has a bigger motor gets better miles per gallon then a hybrid. This is the last highbrid i will ever own!!!!!!!!!!

Great SUV
By NA

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had our Highlander Hybrid for 12.5 years/180,000+ miles and it is still going strong; minimal mechanic charges; just a great all around vehicle for our family.

This is the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned
By Karin Ebertz

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

If you want the room, storage and hauling capability of an SUV combined with good gas mileage, this is the vehicle for you. While the average mpg is not better than a more recent vehicle such as a smaller sedan, it's wonderful to know that the hybrid engine makes for cleaner emissions. And I love the quietness of the drive, and the awesome acceleration when you need to pass a vehicle. I have offered to give this Highlander to a daughter who is driving an old Cavalier. It's going to be such a step up for her.

This Hybrid is a Technological Marvel!
By Ted Farabee

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car is powerful, comfortable, and reliable after 6 months of ownership. However, it does not surprise me with it's gas mileage. I mean it a big luxurious box and not wedge shaped like the Prius. It gets 25 mpg at 80 and averages 23.5 mpg with in town driving. Since the temperature dropped it is getting 17.5 mpg. I bought the car used from a local dealership and had it checked by the Toyota dealership twice. Once before I bought it and then after. The Highlander had some maintenance items that were due for attention, spark plugs, coolant etc. Through all that a cracked radiator was missed. I saw no pink coolant on the ground, but did notice the overfill tank was not staying at level. They did not notice it after two inspections and flushing the radiator. It's important to do a Carfax. The inverter was replaced under recall. The steering part was replaced under recall. The timing belt was replaced at 88,000 miles. These are important things to check on this particular year and model of the Toyota Highlander. Yes, I always do my research. I feel that I got a fair price of 11,000 for this overbuilt tank. The Hybrid system is fascinating. I believe this SUV could be good for anyone that does their research and follows the maintenance schedule. Carfax is extremely important. Car Fax sold this vehicle to me - not the dealer. Make sure the recalls are done or run away, don't walk. I probably would have found the parts second hand. However, the beast is fun to drive on the interstate. It feels big, but is maneuverable in town. The power for a midsized SUV is insane. I am hoping to get 100,000 more miles out of it. I think it's going to make it.

Perfect SUV for me!
By JJ Boulay

2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car has amazing MPG because it is a hybrid, has great acceleration and control. Easy to maneuver. The only thing I do not like is that there is no auxiliary cord.