I stumbled upon my 1999 v6 American Edition Camry in early 2007 with 88k. Previous to that I had never considered a Toyota, but the deal was right. Since then I have put 110k of my own miles on it. It has seen me through college, marriage and the birth of our two kids.
Since day one, I have considered it the most boring-looking car I have ever set eyes on, and my wife refers to me as "grandpa" when I'm in it. Looks notwithstanding, I LOVE my Camry. The v6 is enough to keep driving interesting and the reliability can't be beat. The mph is acceptable: I get 26 mpg no matter what I do. Highway, city, petal to the floor, or with my wife and kids in the car: 26 mpg.
Over engineered and over built.
replaced engine and transmission after 230k not due to any failure but for peace of mind. This was mu dream car back when I was in high school and it first came out. I would rebuild it like new if I can find the right parts. Still running strong and reliable at 273k. A real champ.
1999 - Original Owner and still going and going and going....
written on 04-21-2011
This is the second Camry I have had in 19 years.
The first was a 1992 LE 4 cylinder (remember those?).
Anyway, I liked it so much for work (outside sales) that I bought a new one in 1999.
I have driven it ever since.
It now has 140,700 miles on it with NO signs of giving up.
I am in outside sales and believe me, I drive it.
Despite it now has it's slight dings and scratches the paint is still beautiful after all these years.
It runs smoooooooth as can be thanks in part to using 5-30 Mobile 1 since day one...not a drop burns, not drip anywhere.
Mechanically, this thing has run like a top for 12 years and counting.
No major repairs.
This was my first car and honestly it was great.
The car lasted up to 230,000 miles, and the only reason it died was because I had given it to my irresponsible younger brother who had driven it for 30,000 miles without getting a single oil change... even after that with a huge knock under the hood, it would still start up and drive down the road.
1. The transmission was great. The car had no problem going 100 mph... it actually had a better ride going faster.
2. It ALWAYS started. Most reliable car ever.
3. Awesome sound system for a stock radio. My bass bumped better than a custom speaker.
4. It was okay to slack a little on oil changes.
Now for the negatives...
1. Electrical problems. The cigarette lighter stopped working as well as one of the power outlets. It was not a blown fuse either, they just stopped working for no rhyme or reason.
2. CD player would skip when hitting the brakes or taking a right turn.
3. The cassette player would spit a tape out when the car was cold. No problems once it started heating up.
4. Easily weighed down/bottoms out. Fitting five people in the car and driving over a small bump would be the scariest thing ever.
5. Constant minor repairs. I've had quite a few with this car out of the six years that I drove it...
1. Struts. I think I replaced them three or four times. I would drive through a massive pothole and the stuts would be fine... but then one day out of random, they'd be s***.
2. Replaced the timing belt at 180k. It was previously replaced at 90k.
3. EXHAUST. I forget the amount of times I had gotten a random whole in my exhaust pipe. I remember it happening to me very frequently.
4. It had another on&off problem before I had given the car to my brother where I would start it and the RPMS would go very low causing the car to stall out. I have no idea why this happened, but I would give it a few mins and it would be good to go again. It would do this a couple of times every few months or so.
All in all, a really reliable car. I still see them everywhere in 2015 and there is a reason. That car had taken me everywhere and I beat it up... but it always drove.
I bought a 99 Camry about 5 years ago that had 160,000 miles, hoping to get a couple of years out of it.
It now has 330,000 miles and still going strong, very very reliable, starts every time, I do nothing to it except regular oil changes. Only thing wrong with it is that when it rains then freezes you cant get the doors open, so the door handle broke off. Minor thing overall. The engine and transmission work well and just a reliable, if plain car. Would recommend it to anyone.