Used 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews

Used Camry Hybrid for Sale
Select your model:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

From a 2008 Prius to a 2018 Camry Hybrid LE

Erudite30, 01/15/2018
LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This review is most meaningful for Prius drivers looking to switch to the Camry Hybrid. I drove a 2008 Prius for more than 10 years. It averaged about 55 MPG in summer and about 50 MPG in winter in flat Houson roads, driving on 50% city streets, 50% crowded freeways, about 50 miles/day. The speeds range from 35 MPH to about 50MPH in office-day traffic. I also drove about once a month from Houston to Austin, about 300 miles round-trip, with highway speeds between 75-80MPH, and with hilly terrain. On such trips, the 2008 Prius used to average about 46-47 MPG. This past week, I traded it in and got a new 2018 Camry Hybrid LE. Today I made a 342 mile RT from Houston to Austin in the new car, and have a first-hand, real-user report and comparison with the 2008 Prius. (1) Power: The 2008 Prius was a laggard and underpowered when it came to acceleration, and forever being pushed by guzzlers. The 2018 Camry Hybrid with 208HP is such an improvement! I have tested the "Eco", "Normal" and "Sport" mode. The "Eco" mode makes the response of the Camry drag, and you cannot accelerate quickly. Clicking the normal mode zooms up the engine RPM and delivers the extra kick in the torque to accelerate nicely. The "sport" mode seem to go into overdrive even more easily. I drove most of my trip on the "Eco" mode, saving the "normal" only for passing at 75-80 MPH. Verdict- you will love the Camry power. (2) Display: The 2008 Prius has a superior display and information to the user. The 2018 Camry Hybrid splits the information across a small screen on the dashboard and the table on the 7in display. I was disappointed that I could not get the information I wanted easily. The manual promises more metrics on the drive, but I am unable to locate the information in the setup. Verdict - you will hate the analytics offered/promised on the Camry Hybrid LE. (3) Mileage: The 2008 Prius delivers what is promised on the Houston roads. I have not put the Camry to that test yet. But on the RT from Houston to Austin, the 2008 Prius offers 46-47 MPG. I started with a full tank on the 2018 Camry Hybrid, and after 352 miles, refuelled - it took 7.81 gallons. This works out to 45.12 MPG - in the same range as the Prius. Verdict - somewhat disappointing to not hit the EPA rated 53 MPG. (4) Other features: on the 352-mile trip, these are the safety features that the 2018 Camry Hybrid LE alerted me: lane-departure signal several time; when traffic rolled to a sudden halt on the freeway a red alert showed up on the small screen, screaming "BRAKE NOW"; when the sun set, a message on the small screen prompted me to turn on the headlights (was not in the Auto setting). Verdict - Nice! (5) Ride comfort: in the 10+ years I had the 2008 Prius, I had to change the struts once, but never got a smooth enough ride. The 2018 Camry Hybrid LE has excellent shock absorbers. Verdict: you will love the Camry Hybrid. (6) Bluetooth: 2008 Prius easily pairs with my Android phone, but has only rudimentary call answering capability. The 2018 Camry Hybrid LE was not able to find my Bluetooth devices. Neither did it broadcast its Bluetooth name to be discovered by my phone. Verdict - holding off on this for now, till I try again. (7) Storage: The 2008 Prius hatchback has foldable seats and the trunk cover can be removed to have really good storage, constrained by the hatchback cover. The 2018 Camry Hybrid LE also has foldable-rear seats, but the frame of the seat restricts the amount of storage in addition to the trunk size. Verdict: you will be disappointed in the Camry Hybrid LE storage. (8) Dashboard display: The 2008 Prius has fully digital display which is intuitive and rapidly informative. The 2018 Camry Hybrid LE has analog dial-meters for RPM level (divided into EV, ECO, and normal quadrants), speedometer, gas level. Verdict: you will be disappointed in the 2018 Camry Hybrid LE.

Bought new over certified used

Dave Douglas, 11/26/2017
LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Looked into certified used Camrys but those came with all the bells and whistles that we were not interested in. Moonroof? I own a motorcycle and the wife owns a convertible. Sophisticated sound system? My pitch and sound acuteness have been gone many years. If I can play classic rock at full volume then I'm a happy listener. Bottomline the cost for certified used was competitive with a new Camry LE Hybrid. Also, closing the deal for us is, the Camry is all new from the ground up and we felt the accident avoidance features were well worth an investment in the 2018. One of the oddities is Toyota for whatever reason decided to place their latest battery system exclusively in the base LE version. A battery which produces higher a MPG than the SE or the XLE. We have averaged as high as 60 MPG's on the highway but typically average 52-53. As mentioned, something called the Scout Navigation System is available for the LE with a base audio package and via Toyota Entune. I installed the app on my wife's phone and made the hard connection via USB to the Toyota Entune system. As reported elsewhere, why not Bluetooth? Not sure where they're pulling their map info, but it ain't the best. Worse you're agreeing to a whole lot of access and tracking to whomever these good people at Scout are. Best stick to google or rely on a Garmin. It's also true that Toyota isn't real clear on the features available with Entune. There is a Toyota navigation package but you need the pricier audio system. It took some time before even Toyota over the phone could explain to me what entune features were include with our radio package. However, that said, we still love the basic LE.

Great Car but Nav. system and HUD are inadequate

Keith, 11/24/2017
XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is a great car. But the brochure lies about the Heads Up Display. The description is for the display in the V6 not the hybrid. I've told Toyota about this serveral times but no response from them. The Navigation system is junk compared to Google Maps. The voice control functions are pretty brain dead and the Nav system is slow. But other than those two things it's a good car. I'm just very disappointed that Toyota won't fix the marketing of the HUD and they are sticking with a very old technology for their Nav and voice controls.

Everything it is billed to be

Jeff Cohen, 03/12/2018
XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought our Camry XLE Hybrid at the end of December, probably the worst time of year for mileage for a hybrid battery and the toughest test on it's road handling capability. It has performed beyond my expectations. I primarily bought this car to be a comfortable commuter car with great gas mileage that could also transport my 5 person family. The mileage has averaged around 42, including well below zero temps. which clearly reduce the battery efficiency; anytime the temperature is above 40F the mileage is outstanding (often in the 55-60mpg range on trips of 5-20 miles). Our three teenage sons fit comfortably in the back seat without complaint. I was most impressed with how it performed on snowy and icy city streets; we own an AWD vehicle also so my expectation for this FWD vehicle were low, but it holds the road VERY well, minimal slippage etc. The controls are easy once you get used to them and setup was also easy. My one major complaint is the same as others; the Entune system is pretty terrible and gives me an error message about half the time I get in the car. I contacted Toyota Customer service which could not figure it out and eventually told me it was not guaranteed that my iPhone 6S was compatible, a little ridiculous. The Scout GPS system has never worked; Toyota would have been much smarter to simply have ApplePlay and AndroidPlay so we could mimic what our phones already do well. I would absolutely buy this vehicle again.

Great Car except for the bucking brakes and entune

Bob, 01/11/2018
LE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned the Camry Hybrid for over 2 years now and, of course, Toyota has not made any effort to address or correct the "wonky" brakes. Except for the brake issues, the car has performed very well. I made the mistake of not test driving the actual car we purchased as it was delivered from another dealer and presented to us as ready to drive off. Once we drove off, the dealer would not take responsibility for this Camry's brakes being wonky when the test drive Camry brakes were operating properly during the test drive. I will never fail to test drive the exact vehicle before I take delivery. Update Review: I've had the car over a year now and it continues to be a wonderful car except for the really yucky brakes which out to be a total embarrassment to Toyota. Wish I had something better to report. Lets start with the worst feature...the biggest downside are the brakes which severely grab at low speeds such as pulling into the garage or up to the curb when parking. The effect is like a bucking horse as there are times one simply cannot smoothly glide to a stop. Pulling into the garage to the right spot requires 3 or 4 bucking stops and starts no matter how softly one applies tmom he brakes. It is bad enough to possibly give a child a whiplash A trip to the dealer with 2400 miles was disappointing as they acknowledged the breaks were grabbing, they said it was inherent in the design and everything was working as it was designed to work. A call to the Toyota Customer Service folks was not very useful as they claimed mine was the only complaint they had ever received....despite many complaints on Toyota Owners websites and even to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The lack of concern was overwhelming. At regular driving speeds, the brakes worked pretty well but still grabbed slightly. It was only when trying to slowly ease to stop without hitting the curb that they grabbed and bucked the occupants uncomfortably. The vehicle we test drove at the dealer did not show the problem but our car came from another dealer. The Toyota app Entune 3.0 was a joke as a navigation aid. Happily we are OK with using our stand-alone GPS. This is perhaps the most quiet car in its class and price range. We were unimpressed with the 2017 Camry Hybrid but very happy with the 2018 except for the brakes. Much quieter than the Accord or the Kia and Hyundai hybrids. The Camry floats over road bumps like a much more expensive car. Hybrid system runs flawlessly from gas to battery with almost no engine noise. Gas mileage has averaged 53.5 MPG plus ( I am a conservative driver) and seems to be improving. Front seat comfort is very good. After over 18,000 miles, overall gas mileage exceeds 57 mpg. Brake grabbing problems remain a serious negative Toyota refuses to remedy.

12345...12