2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Camry Hybrid model:

Gas Saver
By Al

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The fuel economy is great, getting an average of 44 + MPG. Car is not peppy if you are used to a high performance V 6 but the car will merge well onto highway when needed. The leather seats are comfortable but a bit too firm (I find my Sequoia cloth seats more comfortable on long trips). The process of finding the car via Edmunds was very positive.

Entune Broke the Camry!
By J Tregre

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I abhor the "navigation system" in the 2018 Camry! It RUINS the Toyota experience! If I had known how bad that system and the Entune 3.0 was, I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS CAR!

First, upon linking to the system, it downloaded almost ONE Gigabit of Data! I don't use my phone for data, and that cost me another $15 on top of my phone bill!

The Scout GPS system takes FOREVER to load, and will not show a map when you are driving around. You HAVE to put in a destination! I tried - really, tried very hard - to learn the system and give it a fair shake, but the hare-brained good-idea fairy that came up with the Entune and Scout GPS should be FIRED!

In my small town, I live a whole 4 miles from the park where the farmers' market is held. I have a choice - take a two lane state highway, or take the two-lane roads through the city. I told the scout GPS to rout me home. The highway is a little longer with a 45mph speed limit. The through-town is 35mph and shorter. With the old Toyota system, if I chose to NOT go the way the GPS directed, it would quickly recalculate and map the short route. NOT the Scout GPS! That stupidly designed, illogical subroutine tried to route me back to the State Route at *every* left turn I could have possibly made! It would not stop until I was within a mile of my home! The route it was recommending was NOT shorter NOR quicker, but it would not give up.

Every second you are in the car, it wants to use your data plan. Furthermore, it does not want to navigate unless you PLUG IN THE PHONE WITH A WIRE! What kind of convoluted, half-brained, inconvenience is that? To enter in your destination takes darned near ten minutes!

To add insult to injury, you are completely out of luck if you are in a rural area, where the mountains cut off cell service regularly!. You completely lose all navigation. Unlike Google maps, where you can download a local map to your phone, you simply are lost without help with the Scout GPS.

I **ordered** this car specially - I BEGGED the dealer to get me the upgraded built in navigation system, but Toyota DOES NOT OFFER IT ON THE top-of-the-line Camry. How could you do this to your loyal customer base, Toyota? Prior to this, I would not even shop for a different make, but all bets are off. You blew it.

Oh, yeah - after three years, you LOSE your subscription and have to pay for Scout! I would not give two red cents for this mangled excuse for a navigation system.

This system is the most illogical, DANGEROUS, instantiation of "Infotainment" I've ever run into - and since I traveled for work and rented a lot of cars, I have a lot to compare it to!

First, I had a 2006 Camry Hybrid, then the Avalon 2016. I compare to those. If I had a text message come in, I would simply tap in the vicinity of the notification in the center of the screen. I didn't have to take my eyes off the road. Tap, and the message is read to me. No problem. With the Entune 3.0, the bell tolls, and the message receipt flashes so fast you almost cannot see it. Then you have to press "Phone", then "messages", then the message in the list. Yes, you have to take your eyes off the road and traffic to do so! The hare-brained good-idea fairy engineer and the approving bosses that came up with the Entune 3.0 should be FIRED!

In spite of the home screen, you really cannot easily change the mode or channels from the steering wheel as you could in the older models. For example, in XM, the menu keeps defaulting to the XM "replay" instead of the presets. Yes, you take your eyes off the road to go to press Audio, select the XM presets, and then the channel you have preset.

Why in God's Name would ANYONE want to drive and try to control their car with a smart phone or a convoluted reverse-logic UNSAFE system like the Entune 3.0? Just how long should one be comfortable taking their eyes off the road to run down the rabbit hole of menus?

Furthermore, the Entune wants you to download countless apps that are quite happy on your phone, thank you so very much! Yelp? Seriously, I do not want people on the road using Yelp for *anything*. "Hang up and Drive!"

Furthermore, all of these attention-grabbing (you know, taking your attention from the road) 'features' cost you in your data plan. If you are in a big city, you might have it a little easier, but those of us that go Toyota because of its [former] safety and reliability because we drive long distances in desert, rural areas, will not enjoy that luxury.

However, the Camry is a lot sportier, and handles wonderfully. The radar cruise control is messed up, compared to the 2016 Avalon, because a curve in the road makes the Camry respond with hard braking if there is an adjacent car. Also, if a car ahead pulls into a right turn lane, the Camry brakes hard as if you were going to run into them. I don't use the radar cruise control for this reason. I am really saddened by what Toyota has done.

Greatest Car
By Steve A.

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid SE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The car has great mileage and the power of a six cylinder in a four cylinder hybrid. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone looking for a great looking car with great gas mileage and power.

"Highly rated"
By Keokebe1

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

1. Gas mileage: very good. 2.Comfort:good 3. Interior silence: good 4. dash layout: good 5.electronics: good WHAT IS BAD: the dash lighted items too dim, even at max brightness. Eg: the compass on rearview mirror: too dim to see. Getting in/out: very restricted even for a small person like me (5'7"). Owner's Manual: very difficult to use. Eg: mixes "Navigation" with GPS guided navigation, which is not even covered in manual. In retrospect, I should have paid for attention to the Honda Accord Hybrid, which I now rate above the Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE. Especially in the lighted dash. YOU WILL HAVE MOST DIFFICULTY TO USE THE CAMRY HYBRID DASH. One good feature: good Heads Up display.

Greatly Disappointed
By Firemanbeetle

2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My 11th Toyota....5th Camry.....2nd Hybrid .....maybe my last. I even sold new Toyotas at a dealership. NEVER put one in the shop for repairs until now. Within days of delivery, minor issues....sunroof gasket fell into my lap. Sun visor kept falling into my field of vision....would not stay up. More serious issues.....drivers Blind Spot Moniter would not turn off...stayed on for miles after passing others. Wind noise on drivers side window....dealer somehow never hears it. “Scout Entune” GPS/stereo disconnects continuously. GPS can’t find even the oldest addresses.....worst I’ve ever seen....total junk. Probably the worst problem is the brakes. Beginning to drive, first thing in the morning, only the slightest pressure on the brake pedal causes the brakes to totally lock up. There is no way around it. There is no way to smoothly back out of a parking space or garage without everyone’s heads whipping....caused problems during icy weather in January. Then, after a few stops, the problem clears up. The bad part of this whole thing is the poor Toyota service. With my car now 6 months old, the dealer still swears my brakes are fine and that there is no problem with Toyota brakes. They forget that I’ve driven many Hybrid Camrys as a salesman, and put 70,000 miles on my own. I KNOW how brakes are supposed to feel, and locking up while maneuvering is NOT it! And my blind spot monitors? They fixed the drivers side monitor. But now the passenger side monitor only works about 20% of the time......worthless. Now they’re experimenting with the software, but they have no solid fix. The stereo? They admit customer complaints, but we won’t see a fix until the 2019 models come out. What?!?! As I mentioned.....I’ve owned 11 Toyotas, all trouble-free. Until this one. And I haven’t even gotten into the lack of USB ports or the drink holders that won’t hold our travel mugs that easily fit into our 2012 Camry Hybrid....or the wrinkled leather seats. Any good points, you may ask? 47 mpg on a 2,000 mile trip. Wow.....but not worth dealing with safety issues like brakes and blind spots, and the many, many trips to my Toyota dealer.