Skip to main content

MSRP Starting at
$43,070

Save as much as $636
Select your trim:

We have a limited number of reviews for the 2024 bZ4X, so we've included reviews for other years of the bZ4X since its last redesign.

Smooth and Quiet, Practical, Poor Value

edthelazyboy, 05/07/2023
2023 Toyota bZ4X Limited 4dr SUV (electric DD)

I had this EV Crossover for 4 months now. It's my very first EV. I have very mixed feeling about my experience. Here are the positives: - First, it is very smooth and quiet. Merging on highways and climbing hills is effortless. There's no abrupt power transition or vibration coming from a gas engine. Power is buttery smooth. It makes driving very calming. - The sunroof has an actual power cover. The competitors are all crazed on panoramic glass roofs with no cover. Why?! Why does everyone else think they need to do what Tesla started? I cannot count the times I keep the cover closed because my daughter didn't want the sun to shine at her face. Thank you, Toyota, for having common sense here. - The controls are mostly traditional and easy to figure out. I didn't need the salesperson to show me how to operate the vehicle. I didn't need to read tutorials or watch videos. I don't understand why other EV vehicles have to make their controls so weird for the sake of it being EV. Moving many functions to the infotainment system is detrimental to driver attention and makes features more difficult to access. I like to highlight the disappointments I have with my new EV: - I had to get the Limited trim to even get power driver's seat and the front passenger seat is still manual. There is no option for memory seats, power folding mirrors, power adjustable steering wheel, or automatic parking. This is INEXCUSABLE for $50K in 2023. Even my 2021 Venza XLE has these features, except auto parking, and it only costed me around $35K. Heck, even Camry LE has power driver seats standard for at least two decades. - There is no battery state of charge percentage display. I have to check the app to get the percentage. The car only shows a bar graph with range estimate that changes wildly based on HVAC usage. - The built-in navigation adds little value and it's a 3 year trial. It doesn't even offer EV route planning. I can just use my phone instead for free. Toyota still thinks we are living in year 2005. - The center console Qi wireless charging phone bay is poorly designed. Why in the world does a USB-A port have to be located in this phone bay? The USB plug gets in the way so that my phone can no longer lie flat in the phone holder. I end up having to put the phone in the cupholders or prop it with the charge port sticking up since the cable is plugged into the bottom on the phone. The cover is not useful at all even if it has a window on top. I still forget my phone if I close the cover. - The rear window needs wiper and washer. Toyota claims that it's unnecessary due to the design. I disagree when it's raining or my rear windows are dusty. - The giant wheel well arches cladding are ugly and unnecessary. They are too intrusive. This must be Suburu's decision to put them in. - The front reading lights are putting form over function. They don't provide much illumination as even the front vanity mirror lights are much brighter. Toyota could have just use the Venza's ceiling control/light unit. - There's no 12 Volt plug in the cargo area. Same complaint for my Venza. - There's lack of illumination in the cargo area. Also, the light can easily be blocked by cargo. Same complaint for my Venza. In summary, this EV crossover is great for first time EV users transitioning from gas vehicles especially from Toyotas. The major plus is the smooth, quiet, and responsive powertrain. However, the lack of features at the price point or the high price for the feature set in 2023 is a major detraction. Also, some unacceptably poor decisions were made in the design. Reliability might the a strong point, but only time will tell. Toyota claims that 90% of battery capacity will be present, after a decade, which I hope will come of fruition.

1 out of 5 stars

We love our BZ4X

Simon, 05/08/2023
2023 Toyota bZ4X Limited 4dr SUV (electric DD)

Our BZ4X Limited FWD has one pedal driving aka Regenerative Braking. Not sure why this Edmonds review says it doesn’t. Anyway… We love the car. We drive it from Los Angeles to Lake Arrowhead and back with me, wife, two kids, a dog and a heavy load of luggage and large toolbox, on a full charge and return with 10% left. I installed a 240v charger at my house and it charges fast. Everything feels high quality. The JBL sound system sounds great. The lighting is fantastic. I personally love the futuristic looks. The sky roof is awesome. Feels like I’m driving a car from Robotech. This is my first EV. We didn’t want a Tesla… OH and it’s an easy car to wash and vacuum as well. An R2D2 thumbs up from me.

Absolutely love the Bz4x

Rampage1979, 11/23/2023
2023 Toyota bZ4X XLE 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

Not sure why this car gets hated on it does everything it's suppose to . On a full charge I get around 370 kms . I picked up the Bz4x with the $9000 government grants bringing 5he car down to 45k . 5hat is not bad value people will say the Tesla model Y is better but the Model Y goes for 70k here in Canada . Overall the Bz4x is a great vehicle .

4 out of 5 stars

first ev that looks like a regular gas suv

rubo, 03/07/2023
updated 09/07/2023
2023 Toyota bZ4X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

Update after 6 months and 14k . Still love my bz4x limited and wont trade it for any other car under 50k , electric or ice. Extremely comfortable, drives like a performance car and looks good. Range gives 230 without ac and 180 with on. Got used to living with that range, charge at work for free and installed chargepoint at my house just in case. Charge takes about 3 hours for 100 miles or so

3 out of 5 stars

Not for road tripping at all

Gina, 03/30/2023
2023 Toyota bZ4X Limited 4dr SUV AWD (electric DD)

The Bz4X AWD Limited is a nice car. It drives like I expect a Toyota to drive, and for daily commutes, it's great. This is a really good first EV for Toyota loyalists who need a good commuter car. However even if you accept 10-80% DC fast charging in an hour, after 2 cycles of charging that amount (about 110-120 kWh) in 24 hours, any further DC fast charging is throttled to level 2 charging speeds. This "feature" is intended to protect the battery's longevity, but it's not explicitly listed anywhere, and discovering it the hard way sucks. For people who never intend to drive more than 400-450 miles a day, and mostly just do shorter commutes, it's a nice car. Just hope to never need to drive further than that in an emergency, because it will be tortuous beyond that point.

2 out of 5 stars