Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Why cant I find this part or how to bypass.
By James Anderson

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

They are great own 2,but if you have a alarm and it crumbles or cant turn off,it is a nightmare to fix. I have been working a year to find a censor or how to bypass the alarm.I love my 4Runner SR5 4wd Auto,but when they stopped making the parts you need,it becomes a yard ornament. It only has 206,ooo miles and running I would put it against any Land Rover. Put it in 4wd. it goes most anywhere engaged w/ECT..I have been on ice ,snow ,mud and no accidents on the road or off,definitly a family SUV.Wish me luck,I miss driving it.

Traded New for Old
By Neil

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I bought my 1997 4runner with 150K on the odometer in July 2016. It needed a rear differential, which I was able to replace with a used one for $250 and 2 hours of my time. I drove the car for about 5000 miles and fell in love with the ride height, size and reliability. It is the perfect sized vehicle, not too big, not too small. I get about 20 MPG overall with highway driving. I liked this car so much that I sold my 2012 Malibu that had 70,000 miles on it. I have had no 2nd thoughts and have no doubts I will get 100,000 more miles out of this car without much expense.

Bought used with 280k
By JB

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this rig with 288k. It had the water pump, timing belt, transmission seals done. It also had newer spark plugs and tires. For its age, the driver's seat will need to be replaced(worn leather), but overall in pretty decent shape. Drives like a truck, not a luxury SUV, but this is one of the most reliable rigs you will find. From what I could tell looking over my service records, it was well maintained---- no major outside of servicing and regular maintenance items. I intend to keep this going to 500k.

'97 SRS 4WD owned 17 years
By JJ

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely no surprises with ownership standing at 19 of it’s 21 years on the road. Ours is the SR5 4WD with a five-speed manual. It has crawled the daily commutes of metropolitan traffic jams and four wheel drive trails of the Sierra Nevada. It's got no quit in it. We gave it a 20th Birthday present a couple of years ago, updating the stereo from AM/FM cassette to Bluetooth with GPS. Will keep driving this really refined beast from days gone past. Maintenance costs are far below any car payment.

Great car
By karen chabert

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Reliable, great resale value.