Used 1997 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Traded New for Old
By Neil

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV

I bought my 1997 4runner with 150K on the odometer in July 2016. It needed a rear differential, which I was able to replace with a used one for $250 and 2 hours of my time. I drove the car for about 5000 miles and fell in love with the ride height, size and reliability. It is the perfect sized vehicle, not too big, not too small. I get about 20 MPG overall with highway driving. I liked this car so much that I sold my 2012 Malibu that had 70,000 miles on it. I have had no 2nd thoughts and have no doubts I will get 100,000 more miles out of this car without much expense.

Bought used with 280k
By JB

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this rig with 288k. It had the water pump, timing belt, transmission seals done. It also had newer spark plugs and tires. For its age, the driver's seat will need to be replaced(worn leather), but overall in pretty decent shape. Drives like a truck, not a luxury SUV, but this is one of the most reliable rigs you will find. From what I could tell looking over my service records, it was well maintained---- no major outside of servicing and regular maintenance items. I intend to keep this going to 500k.

'97 SRS 4WD owned 17 years
By JJ

1997 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely no surprises with ownership standing at 19 of it’s 21 years on the road. Ours is the SR5 4WD with a five-speed manual. It has crawled the daily commutes of metropolitan traffic jams and four wheel drive trails of the Sierra Nevada. It's got no quit in it. We gave it a 20th Birthday present a couple of years ago, updating the stereo from AM/FM cassette to Bluetooth with GPS. Will keep driving this really refined beast from days gone past. Maintenance costs are far below any car payment.

Great car
By karen chabert

1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4dr SUV

Reliable, great resale value.

Another dependable Toyota
By John Bowling

1997 Toyota 4Runner 4dr SUV

I have had this 1997 2 wheel drive 4runner for seven months. It had 138000 miles when purchased and now has 145000. It has been a very dependable, reliable vehicle so far. I receive about 20 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway. The gas gauge falls very fast once it reaches the quarter tank level. The v6 engine provides all of the pick up I need in the traffic conditions I have encountered so far. I have had only one problem. The sunroof drain leaked onto the headliner. I had to buy a new motor for the sunroof which cost 700.00 at the dealer. They told me it was the only way to move the roof so they could clean out the drains. As with all Toyotas they are well engineered but the parts and labor are overpriced. Who wants to spend over a hundred dollars for floor mats? I owned a 1996 Toyota for 12 years previously and it was the best vehicle I have ever owned. Overall very pleased so far with this 4runner.