Used 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific XV Crosstrek model:

63,000 Mile Review
By TD

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Hybrid Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Anemic engine, poor gas mileage. Paint cracks and chips easily. Had hood repainted at less than one year, and two years later full of chips and cracks. Looks like a jigsaw puzzle. Noisy interior, horrible acoustics. Navigation horrible. Speakers horrible. Leather is cheap and tears easily, especially center console. Poor visibility due to high side door panels and hood.
Dashboard acts as heat reflector, very uncomfortable in summer. No spare tire due to hybrid battery. At 47,000 miles, hybrid controller glitch activated multiple trouble lights. Took over a week to diagnose and flash update even though it was a recall issue. Auxiliary battery and ISG failed at 49,000 miles "while driving". Very dangerous. Both are part of hybrid system, and although warranty states hybrid system covered to 80,000 miles, was informed by dealer neither item covered. Contacted headquarters and got most of it covered. At 59,000 clicking sound when turning. Sounds like it could be front strut mount https://subaru.oemdtc.com/333/popping-sound-from-front-strut-mounts-on-low-speed-turns-2012-2016-subaru . I baby my car. I maintain the exterior and interior by hand frequently . I installed bug deflector on hood. I drive conservatively, use 91 octane, and have it serviced every 5000 miles. BTW, must use synthetic oil that cost 3 times regular oil, but, unlike other vehicles on synthetic oil, still must replace at normal intervals, i.e., 5000 miles. Hybrid only 13 hp, mileage and power still poor, and is weak link in reliability and requires going only to a dealer for repair. And battery for hybrid used up space for spare tire, so no spare tire.

Never Again
By TD

First and last Subaru. Bought it because appearance of Japanese mid-size AWD alternatives were repugnant. Awful-sound system and navigation. Excessive cabin noise. Anemic power and poor gas mileage. Dashboard radiates too much heat which cooling system cannot overcome. External paint chips easily and is costly and difficult to repaint. Internal leather cheap and tears easily even with constant care. Repeated electrical problems with hybrid system, beginning at 47,000 miles.

WARNING, DO NOT BUY CROSSTREK
By Steve

2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

WARNING, DO NOT buy a Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid or a Crosstrek due to VERY POOR QUALITY.

Subaru IS NOT building Hybrid models any longer because the hybrid system is faulty after 2016.

What does this mean? Repair costs will be high. Parts will be expensive. Long wait times since technicians no longer need to be certified so there will be less technicians available to fix your car.

There is a critical fault in the hybrid motor that will cost you $1,000s and these issues will persist

Our car only has 56k miles and it's been in the shop for 2 months. They also replaced the driver's seat because the metal frame was sticking thru the leather? Poor quality.

We bought a new 2014 Crosstrek hybrid for $31k, 2.7 years ago.

Today, 5 Dec 2016, Subaru offered $12,500 for the trade-in? This car depreciates fast. YOU WILL LOSE $12,000 if you buy new after the first year and $19,000 after (2) years. Meanwhile, they get rich.

Subaru is not the Subaru we once knew. They are making cheap products that break more often and the car no longer holds the value it once did.

PLEASE MAKE A SMART DECISION. It's your money. And they don't care about it.

Not Feeling the Subaru Love!
By Daniel S.

I purchased the Crosstrek Hybrid based on winter handling performance and recommendations from family members who have owned multiple Subarus (but not this model). In the past, I've owned other AWD/4WD vehicles, including a Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan X-Terra, Jeep Cherokee and Toyota RAV-4. My Crosstrek is the worst performer of the bunch. While I can't speak for the standard Crosstrek, the hybrid places the heavy battery components in the back, which changes performance dynamics IMHO. The first thing I noticed was the horrible winter braking. The car just slides and doesn't stop (even with new Michelin All-Season tires). As for hugging the road, the car has a tendency to hop and skip with any imperfection in the road. Sometimes I feel like the car is catching air. You just don't feel like the car is sure-footed in bad conditions. My girlfriend has a 2WD Honda CR-V, and she thinks it handles much better. I think the Crosstrek is too light and I think the battery in the back is affecting performance. I have other gripes too. The Crosstrek eats tires, even with long tread-rated tires and even after proper balance and alignment. With the Hybrid, you can't get a trail hitch because of the back battery placement. The Bluetooth really stinks and takes 4-5 tries before connecting with an iPhone. Even when driving the speed limit and gently, the car doesn't come close to stated MPG. Most of the time I'm at 23-26 MPG. This is a hybrid for heaven's sake? Lastly, I question the electronics. The first week I had this car "new", the check engine light came on and the dealership needed to re-program something to fix it. It took them a few days and I had to rent a car, which they never reimbursed me for. Occasionally the passenger "check airbag" light comes on, but then it's fine for a few months. The car doesn't look bad. And it's somewhat comfortable on the inside. Fit and finish are not bad. Rear cargo space is tiny - so you'll need a roof shell for any family vacation. But winter performance is where the rubber meets the road - and the Hybrid Crosstrek falls way short. I will never ever buy a Subaru again and am definitely not feeling the Subaru love.

Subaru Crosstrek Hybred: Total Lemon?
By Frustrated Subaru owner

After having a Toyota for over 10 years then a Honda CRV for over 10 years with no issues, my husband and I decided to purchase a a Subaru Crosstrek Hybred 2014 which looks good on the outside (but BIG MISTAKE). By January 2015 a message appeared in the dash board whenever I started the car that said(check hill star assist). At my first service, I told the service people and they told me they did not find anything wrong, nor saw the message. I continued to drive the car with the message appearing on and off when finally in November/December 2015 more messages appeared and check engine light appeared and stayed on all the time. I made an appointment to get the car checked in November, this time they told me they fixed it and the lights went away. Within a few months after they told me they (fixed it) the messages reappeared and I brought the car back in March for them to "fix" again. I waited for about an hour and they called me and told me they fixed the problem and the messages and lights were gone. As soon as I turned on the car and try to drive off all the lights and messages reappeared, I called the service person who took the car and said they were going to check it again. After waiting for over an hour they finally told me they there was a transmission control cover problem and they would have to keep the car until June 2015 because they had to order the part. In the middle of April after not receiving an update from Subaru, I finally called and after a few choice words with the manager they told me the car will be ready at the end of April. On April Friday 29, 2015 I received a call from Subaru and they told me they changed the transmission control cover and the lights went away and every thing was fine. So I picked up the car that same day (Friday April 29, 2015). By Sunday May 1 (2 days after picking up the car) those lights that they claimed went away reappeared. I had to take the car back (May 2) and am still waiting May 17, 2015 for word on what is the problem. At this point I am very ANGRY at the run around. I got the warranty which I am using for now to "fix" the car but what is going to happen when it runs out.