Used 2008 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Outback for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Second Beaner

jim n., 03/16/2008

Traded our 2002 Bean Outback. This one is a much better performer but the interior has been redesigned for the worse. Controls were moved around to accomodate the opt. Nav. screen (which should be mounted on the dash). Climate controls placed low behind gearshift, audio controls lowered. You used to be able to adjust with a glance, now you have to take your eyes off the road. No storage for cds or loose change. The ashtray barely holds a chapstick. Rear seats no longer fold truly flat. Parking brake lever intrudes on drivers right leg. Odometer/temp/etc multigauge is useless and annoying.

We Questioned next purchase and Now have another.

experiences1, 01/29/2014
2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This 2008 subie is my 3rd subaru experience. I was reluctant to leave a review because I have been told I am too critical so you be the judge. 1998 subaru was very noisy engine wise other than that a head gasket failure at 135000 miles 2001 subaru brakes once every other year at the dealer. Coolent leaks at the heads of the engine maintained by conditioner. 2008 Head gasket leaks at 68000 miles needed replacing. wire harness broke to tail lights. Noisy catalytic converters replaced but they left off the shielding. replaced under recall which is good. 75000 miles has a skip. plugs and wires. 7/30/16 96000-113000 owner replaced timing belt and tension pulleys, coolant water pump and timing belt, oil pump seals , cam shaft seals as normal maintenance items. valve cover gaskets Wheel bearings x3 as they were noisy. dealer replaced one air bag and another takata air bag is due under warranty control arm bushings and front and rear sway bar links. intermediate pipe and resonator with seals (noisy) Still drives and handles great. has not left us stranded yet. that is good. brakes hold up well. 1/31/17 120000 update. wire harness at rear gate wire broke again (first time was at 70000 and just ordered a new harness (rear gate Cord) from subaru lost back up lights and antenna wires the remaining wires insulation is cracking and just opted for new. Drives and runs great 23 mpg normal city milage. Just purchased new 2017 Outback Limited My wife drove most everything in this price range and insisted on a Subaru.

My first and last Subaru.

Alan Christenson, 10/27/2015
2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD w/VDC (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car used in 2010 with 17,000 miles on it. It was a great car until it hit about 70,000 when it started having regular repair issues that really shouldn't happen. I fully expect to do maintenance on any vehicle for parts that wear out, but these problems are something different entirely. First it was the head gasket problem that most of these have, that came to just under $2,000 for repair (known issue that should have been covered by Subaru). Over the last three years I had problems with the ground wire in the radio that I had "fixed" three different times until it went out entirely and I had to have the radio head unit replaced for $500. The wires in the rear lift gate began breaking about a year ago causing my tail lights to go out. This is apparently a common issue as well and is very dangerous (no tail lights at night) and should have been recalled. That was $400 to replace. My catalytic converter is going out now and apparently it has been recalled in some states, but not in mine so it's going to cost me another $1,000. I also have problems in the passenger airbag light/switch that the dealership is telling me will be another $350 to fix. A little research on the internet tells me that it is bad soldering on a circuit board (another common enough problem that it can be found on youtube). Like I said, I gladly pay for regular maintenance and parts on a vehicle but these things are not "normal" problems and seem to be regular occurrences on Subarus. Tack on to this substantially decreased winter mileage (I expect some, but not 15%-18%), and I can't see myself purchasing another Subaru. Sure, you can probably pass them on to your children when you upgrade to a new one (just like the commercials show), but you're going to spend a lot of money to keep it that long and you'll be saddling them with something that appears to require regular, expensive repairs.

2008 Outback i limited

experiences1, 09/27/2013
2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

2008 outback we bought new when our 1998 outback head gaskets failed at 135000 miles. We were unsure if another Subaru was in our future but after driving other alternatives we returned to this manufacturer. Very stable sure footed in even the worst conditions and very easy to drive. We are impressed with the design and body integrity. update 3/28/16 107000 miles same engine and transmission. suspension bushings are a common failure but major components great. Some interior panels develop waves and pockets that look like the thin foam under the imitation leather. Recall on air bags just completed. Letter from manufacturer stated dashboard may develop symptoms similar to mentioned in detail before about interior panels.

2nd Subaru

redheadwolf, 06/13/2015
4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After getting tired of my '99 Legacy Outback and it's constant overheating, (to be fair it has 256k miles on it) I decided I wanted a new car. I researched a lot in the 10-15k range. I chose the Outback again for the awd/mpg/style/room/reliability. It has everything you need. It is more comfortable than my '99 even though it's a base model. (Even comes with seat heaters!) I was able to get this car with 41,000 miles on it back in November. So far I've put 11,000 on it and it still runs excellent! I've taken it on dirt, up steep roads and gravel and it does it all. Last time I recorded just highway miles I got 28mpg! However, I usually average 24.

Subaru knew this was a lemon and didn't tell custs

Steve, 04/13/2018
4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Talk to independent car mechanics before buying this car. It is apparently widely known among mechanics that Subaru used sub-standard head gaskets almost ensuring an $1800 eventual repair. Subaru refused to admit it and forced their customers to foot the bill when it should have been a recall. Lots of other bad designs on this model too. Like a rear hatch handle that collects all the road grime and stops working because it won't spring back, even after a "repair" by the dealership. Like a dual-muffler design that traps exhaust moisture at the "Y" prematurely rusting it out. Like a welded heat shield above the exhaust pipe that resonates at certain rpm's and threatens to loosen your teeth fillings and drown out the sound of the radio. Like needing new brake pads/rotors more often than any other car I've ever owned. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this car.

Best Bang For Your Buck!

GF, 06/09/2008

Needed a 4 door wagon due to the new addition to my family. So I test drove an Audi A4 Avant (2.0T and 3.2 versions) and the Subaru Outback 3.0R was on par with the Audi Avant 3.2. Went with Subaru and saved $14K over the Audi. Also, plan to do a lot of outdoor family stuff (biking, camping, etc) so the additional ride height with the Outback made sense. I still have yet to open it up cause it's still in the break-in period, but this an excellent overall value. This car feels like I'm still driving my BMW. Subaru got this Outback right. Can't go wrong with Japanese build quality and a German driving feel at a Japanese price tag.

Best Wagon for $30K

VDC_Scooby, 05/07/2008

The Outback handles great in every day driving around town or on the highway. Steering is light and responsive. The Outback's 3.0R engine delivers plenty of refined power with a hint of growl. The transmission delivers that power unobtrusively. I normally leave SI drive in Intelligent mode but when necessary "sport sharp" mode (S#) provides that extra punch. The Outback's raised ride height means more suspension travel (take that speed bumps!) and it has a smooth ride over rough surfaces. I think the Outback looks the part of a luxury wagon. The interior is upscale and comparable to my 2004 Passat. The materials feel substantial and fit and finish are excellent. Braking is very sure.

Poor craftsmanship

minevem, 04/28/2011

We bought our car new 3 years ago. Although not a head turner, it looked sturdy and had better gas mileage than a SUV. Some standard features a plus. Steady on the road and safe in snow/rain. Poor built quality... Cheap cabin materials. The engine went out at 38000 miles and it took 2 weeks to repair shorted cable in the engine block... I was very disappointed with it this week - took it to the dealer to have the heat shield repaired - not covered by warranty, although the dealer said every Outback gets this problem at our mileage (49000). Door handle broke - not covered. The handle actually fell out...

Great car! Fun to drive. Great performer

2008XT, 10/13/2010

This is one of the best cars I have ever driven. The performance of a sports car in a functional everyday vehicle. We need to purchase another vehicle which will be another Outback, but I am not happy that Subaru stopped making the XT model. If you own one and would like be able to buy another one, call Subaru and complain. If enough of us do, maybe they will bring the XT back. In the meantime I guess I'm stuck with the 6 cyl.

Just Fantastic Vehicle

Tony S, 02/17/2008

This is our third Outback H6. We bought our first Outback H6 in 2003 . This was our introduction to Subaru's Line. Since then we purchased 2005 and 2008 H6 model versions of the Outbacks. It is most reliable and fun to drive vehicle and it seems that Subaru just got it right all the way. Every model year gets better and better.

GREAT FAMILY CAR!

doc5339, 05/26/2012

Overall this is an awesome car. The Outback merges safety with functionality, and driving fun. The opposed 4-cylinder (H4) has great pick-up.

Transmission blown at 4,200 miles

John Kasperowicz, 09/18/2007

I have owned many Subaru models in the past years. This new 2008 Outback will be my last. The transmission blew out at 4,200 miles and left me stranded. I think that the new transmission selection of different modes might have contributed to failure. This new feature is more of a gimmick than a useful option. Ride of car is not good, very jarring over small potholes or minor dips in road. Way too much road noise. Leather quality of seat not very good for 32k car. Overall, car is not worth the money and quality of parts and the interior is lower than previous models.

My Nickel and Dime Ride.

swwhite58, 05/16/2018
2.5I 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Now have 165,000 miles on it. Expect a head gasket job. Catalytic converter goes and that shuts off the cruise control. This thing has nickel and dimed me with axles and suspension. But it is 10 years old and has gone 165,000 miles.

Word of Warning

John Q Public, 10/23/2007

While I was initially excited about the purchase after test driving a well running car, my "dealer locate" vehicle arrived with what is commonly known as "stutter" under boost. The two dealers I have taken the car to both acknowledged the car does not run correctly, but they don't know how to fix it since it is most likely a computer issue. The dealership has "reflashes" for different turbo models and it will fix the problem on some cars but not all and it often returns. Subaru customer service has been no help, not even offering try replacing the computer on a $32k car with 6k mi. I am going to lemon law it.

Different strokes

mikeb, 11/06/2007

Obviously people have had differing experiences. Mine have been superb. I had a 2004 Outback with 100,000 miles; loved it, but decided it was time for a change. Tested the RAV4, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Acura RDX; kept coming back to the Outback. After 2000 miles, it's nothing but delightful. The ride is firm but quiet. The transmission selection system works well; gear selection on hills is much better than with the 2004. Biggest surprise is the mileage; guided by the gas consumption guage, and trying to maintain a fairly light foot, I've been getting 23 mpg in-town and 27 on the Interstate (contrary to the 17/24 official rating). The car is great fun to drive.

Great car for the snow areas.

Myron Winchester, 12/09/2015
2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

High ground clearance, but not a tall car. All-wheel drive has help me out so much these 8 years. With great traction for going or stopping, I can not praise it enough. Though, with all-wheel drive, the gas mileage suffers.

Outback 2008 3.0

Jose Alvarado, 03/31/2008

I owned a ML350 of very questionable quality and performance and two discoverys before. I pick an Outback looking for a smaller confortable car paying almost one third of the money I paid for the other cars. A big deal! Great off road and fast in road, a lot of space in a not-too-big car.

Safest Vehicle on the Road - Bar None.

Dave, 02/02/2008

Subaru has dominated rally racing for decades and it shows. Their full-time symmetrical VTD AWD system, and their electronic stability control are STILL vastly superior to the nearly useless "slip and HOPE to grip" modified FWD systems found on the pretenders. We drove EVERY AWD NHTSA top safety pick vehicle under $40K. I forced my wife to try emergency steering maneuvers at 65 mph. The Hyundai santa Fe, and Honda Pilot were scary ,even the Acura RDX could not match the Outback's "go where you point it" highway stability. Having now driven the Outback on a lot of snowy, icy it has dramatically exceeded my already high expectations.

Gotta love my 2008 Outback

Dr. Bob, 08/23/2010

I recently traded cars with my wife. She got the 2007 Lexus ES 350 and I got the 2008 Subaru Outback LL Bean--I won the trade. (OK, we both think we won.) My loves: I (a 6' guy) love the front seating and the views through the windows. I love the solid, absolutely confident feel that the car will go exactly where I point it. I really like the gas mileage. This is a 6 cylinder car, I average 26.1 miles and get 29.4 on the highway driving at a steady 72 mph. The seat fits me like a glove, I love this front seat. Lastly, I love the cargo capacity. You cannot possibly fill this car up. My wishes: I would love brighter headlights and a bigger back seat.

Subaru won't stand behind its product

shemonkey, 10/14/2012

My air conditioner compressor failed in my 2008 Outback after 45,000 miles. The compressor was no longer covered by warranty. It cost me over $900 to replace the compressor, including parts and labor. My mechanic suggested I write a letter to Subaru of America to ask for reimbursement. I wrote a detailed letter to Subaru of America. Subaru of America wrote back with perhaps the lamest correspondence I have ever received, stating that "Subaru is not responsible for defective parts or workmanship from subcontractors." Needless to say, I will never purchase another Subaru product. My Outback is average or below average in every way, from handling to craftsmanship to fuel economy.

'08 OB Looking Good

Outbacker, 04/27/2007

Just traded in my '01 Outback for the '08 Limited model. I had doubts about buying another Outback - the last one was not much fun to drive, and there were some leaking problems after 90K. After test driving all the comparables, the Outback was the only one that fit the bill - reasonable gas mileage, good safety ratings, reliable, good roof rack for the surfboard, and can hold 25 bags of mulch in the back when needed. So far, so good. The '08 is lots more fun to drive than the '01 - the sports shift option helps. A little more power than the '01, and a generally smoother, better ride. I'm told that the leak problems have been resolved - time will tell.

Good car but it ticks!

Jim D, 07/25/2008

I love Subarus and this is my 4th one. Overall I'm very happy with the car. Love the huge sunroof and leather. Comfortable quiet highway ride. But, from somewhere in the rear cargo area there's a tick type of a rattle and it ruining an otherwise good car. It started one week after I drove it off the lot. Still trying to find it. Sometimes the sunroof rattles - not all the time. Usually after hitting a big bump in the road, this sets all the ticks and rattles going. Kind of frustrating for such a new car. If you own one, make sure you set the SRS on the stereo to on. It makes a huge difference in the sound quality.

Great car to have in New England!

Lee, 01/02/2008

This is my first new car, and first Subaru. My wife's car (bought new) is a Highlander 2005 2WD. I was deciding between the Outback in LL Bean trim and a Honda Pilot. The fuel economy difference was the deciding factor. I personally think the Outback is a beautiful car. It's also plenty peppy with its V6. I like the nav system, but wish it was integrated into the other components of the car, particularly the stereo. It would also be nice to have Bluetooth. Final gripe is that interior space is scant. There is enough, but more would be nice. This car in LL Bean trim is quite luxurious, in my opinion. The fit and finish are excellent, and the materials appear to be of high quality.

I came back to Subaru!

Tammy P, 04/24/2010

After having Mazda buy back my 1st CX 7 and now finally getting out from under and trading in my 2nd CX 7 with many problems, my 08 Subaru XT Limited is GREAT. I get 23 miles to the gallon and yes it takes premium but what would you expect when buying a turbo? I drove home in a snowstorm and the car handled like a dream, unlike the car I traded in. I don't know why I didn't stay with Subaru. I would definitely recommend if you are looking for an AWD buy a Subaru!

The Transmission?

seamus fogarty, 05/05/2010

This is our 4th Subaru, 99 ,04 Legasc, 05, and 2008 llbean 6 cyl, , generally good all around, except for the transmission, it keeps, shunting, the gears, as all the other were smooth, feels like a driver with a standard shift, jerking the clutch, this is very disturbing, I had the 30,000, mile service last week, and to-day had to take it back to valley motors, that service cost $ 544. And that was fine, except that the transmission, issue was not resolved, now I am waiting for a call from valley motors, one other thing with the service/engineers, or lack of, the handbrake was adjusted so tight, that one had to be a mr Atlas to pull it up .

Needs to be bigger and stronger...

nek_md, 12/12/2010

We bought the Subie for its safety and reliability. I did not do my homework on the performance of the vehicle, nor on its interior space. The engine is adequate, but the 4AT is a lousy transmission. The car works too hard to find the right gear, and kick-down's are frequent and blatant when the engine is working hard. The rear seat was woefully inadequate for accommodating a standard infant seat without pushing the corresponding passenger seat up all the way. This led us to trade in the vehicle. The car was reliable while we had it. No complaints there. The paint quality was thin and there were rattles in the dash that shouldn't have been there for a young car.

Versatile and Fun

socalh2oskier, 04/13/2008

This is my fourth Subie. I have owned all sorts of cars, from a Mazda Miata to a Mercedes CLK AMG, Mercedes SL, Jaguar XK, Jaguar XJ8, Lexus and several others. Subaru is one of my all time favorites, especially the Outback. This is a reasonably quick, versatile car with reliability second to none. This is truly one of the most comfortable vehicles you would ever want for a long trip. The ride is quiet and smooth, and gas mileage is suprisingly decent. I average about 17-20 in city driving, with 26-30 highway. Handling is much better than most SUVs, the driving position is high with excellent visibility and it has character. Great value.

Glad I bought it!!

Outback, 04/29/2008

Love the car! Did a lot of research before I bought it. I used to have a BMW 328i; driving my new Outback reminds me of the BMW. Great steering and braking. Like the 5 star safety rateing too, I feel very safe and protected.I also like that I can tow my popup camper. I plan to keep this car a long time and feel it will last as long as I want to keep it. Will diffiently recommend a Subaru to anyone who is looking to buy a car.!

PZEV & rough starts

Ed, 06/25/2008

For those of you considering the PZEV option you should be aware that when started cold some Subaru's will produce excesive vibration, engine and exhaust noise. This is due to changes the ECU makes to the timing to quickly heat the exhaust catalyst to reduce emission gasses. Once warm, the car starts smoothly as you would expect. The sales rep asked us to wait in the showroom while he brought the car around for test drives so I didn't discover this characteristic until I started the car the morning after purchasing it. Otherwise the car does exactly what I expected and I'm pleased with it.

1st on many SUBAROO to come! love it

edotx1, 03/13/2010

Love at first sight, grow old together after test drive. Just the right performance and features for me here in TEXAS. Great cargo room, great gas mileage for a big car with 4 cylinders. Great for bike rides with friends as SAG support vehicle. VERY COOL, Cat like performance, you should see the look of other drivers on the road with all my gear mounted.

Surprisingly lacking in reliability....

Morphie, 11/22/2007

After owning three (3) Audi's in succession, we were looking forward to a more reliable vehicle; the added bonus was a lower cost. Our problems: -Air conditioning failure at less than 1,000 miles; repaired in a few days. -Abrupt shifting of the transmission; A surprisingly difficult service department to deal with; (primarily the Service Manager). -Fit and finish much poorer than my daughter's Honda Civic; The only redeeming aspect: I was wise enough (by accident) to lease it for only two (2) years. This is our first and last Subaru. To say that I am surprised is an understatement.

Great car, but needs a lot of costly repairs

SherrySC, 03/01/2017
4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car had a leaky head gasket by 35,000 miles! It eats premium tires and brakes. The car is now 9 years old and has only 86,000 miles on it. I will not buy another Subaru.

My 2008 outback

Sheila ann, 08/29/2018
4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Had to replace both axle and a head gasket before I had 80k miles, the repairs where very costly

Some good, some bad

Monica, 07/26/2015
2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

After One Year I have owned this car for a year, now. Would I buy it again? Maybe - due to the clearance and AWD technology. Do I love it? No. It has started to rattle in the dashboard. Wind noise is still there. Rear door is still annoyingly slow. Computer screen is still functionally obsolete (I just want an image of my phone and I want to see the time and temperature larger). Gas mileage has never hit 33 for any length of time. Original opinion I had the 2008 2.5i. This vehicle has a lot of good - the engine seems to have more power, the continuous shifting makes for a smoother ride and better acceleration. On the "just ok" is the control screen. It's big, it catches dust and glares, the weather is useless for me because I don't live in a select city. Why would I use the navigation when I have my phone with all the addresses and a voice that talked me through the directions? The two data points that I do hunt for (literally) are the time and outside temperature. These are small and tucked at the bottom of the screen. I started with the good, to be fair.. However, there are two things I hate (hate) about the car. Unfortunately, they are in your face, all the time. #1: wind noise, wind, wind, wind. It sounds as though the window isn't closed so you are constantly trying to close the windows. #2: the rear gate is sllllooooowwwwwwww to open and close. I am constantly standing by the gate , waiting for it to open or close. I hate that too. Really hate it.

The best all round vehicle ever

Dreister, 08/12/2009

I've had my Outback Turbo XT with manual transmission for just over a year, and I must say that I've found the perfect match! I love how I can change the driving style by a click of the button, if I want to accelerate off a red light like Andretti, I can by flipping the S# button, and boy do you feel that power! If I want to take it easy on a longer drive or in traffic and conserve gas, flip it to I and I can rest at ease knowing my car is doing its best to conserve energy. The fact that the clearance on my Outback beats most large SUV's is phenomenal for a car this size. I've gone off- roading in Big Bend and I've been able to go down trails Explorers couldn't dream of tackling.

broken rod at 84K

joebabi, 07/12/2016
4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I believed all the hype about the reliability of subarus til I bought one. 3 Recalls and then the engine blew at 84,000 miles (broken rod). Subarus customer service offered me a whopping $500 toward a new one. Would not recommend these cars. Ride is uncomfortable and interior is cheaply done. Good in snow but not if engine doesnt run.

Don't believe the hype

TL, 11/08/2016
2.5I Limited 4dr Wagon AWD (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a POS. Blown head gasket, rods, timing chain......all before 100,000 miles. Bought it brand new and every maintenance visit was scheduled on time. Just bought another Subie and wish to God I hadn't. Last Subaru I'll ever buy,

Very nice car-- get the 5 spd XT!

georg, 07/20/2008

This is our second Outback 2.5 5spd. Our first qas a 2006 Limited 2.5 5 spd that had a persistent air conditioner interior leak that we rolled over in at 45 mph and walked away fine. We replaced it with our current vehicle because it has the VDC. This Outback is great; the fit and finish is perfect. The XT should be purchased with the 5spd; the power of the engine in Sport# and the delayed shifting is a great experience.

Outback rattles!

Outback rattles!, 08/03/2008

This car has way too many rattles, ticks and squeaks. It's driving me crazy and this is unacceptable for such a new car. The rattles started one week after my purchase. I've been a big fan of Subaru for years but not sure I'd buy another one after this experience. If you're thinking of buying one, definitely rent one for a couple days first. A new car should be quiet for the first few years. The car looks good but kind of too small for a family. Black leather interior is hot hot hot in the summer months. The huge sunroof is cool. The fat leather wrapped wheel feels nice in the hands.

Wins the competition but I'd like better

dusanmal, 08/18/2008

As the title implies we got the car simply because no one does better in this category. Not because we are completely happy with it. We have had long and good experience with 2002 model. Quality apparently still holds. Gas mileage is somewhat better than sticker EPA estimate. Performance is appropriate for the purpose. Comfort is good and slightly better vs. 2002. Design is clean and appropriate for the CAR Wagon, what it should be (Subaru, please remove it from the SUV ranks). Minor ergonomic design errors (location of handbrake and pedals). Major utility design errors (wheels, cargo space).

Solid choice

Spec, 11/12/2008

You'll be hard-pressed to find a family-sized wagon in this price range that has a decent reliability record. I opted for the Outback because of its very smooth ride and generous cargo space compared to similarly-priced SUVs. I have not been disappointed. Enjoyable to drive. City mileage for me (~17) is a little disappointing, but highway mileage (~29) has been a pleasant surprise. I wish at times it had a little more power, but in most cases it is more than adequate.

Saved my life

Ralph, 05/20/2009

This car is designed for driving in Maine. It handles superbly in winter conditions. The low roof makes it perfect for hauling kayaks. My avg gas mileage was always 25+ in mixed driving. Last week we were in an accident in which the car rolled 1 1/4 times. My wife and I walked away with scrapes, bruises and a stiff neck. Of course we were wearing our seatbelts. The car was totaled. I'm looking for another Outback to replace it.

Great Car

ldtjsa, 01/15/2008

I really enjoy the handling and the way the car feels when driving it. With two kids in car seats and two adults up front it feels small inside. But I went from a Ford Excursion to this car. The gas mileage combined city highway and driving it hard is ~23 mpg; if you drive it nice, it is like ~27mpg, all highway you can get around 30mpg. The backseat just needs to have more room.

2008 Subaru

miamioolite, 07/15/2011

Third Subaru. First was an 86' GL station wagon= 279,000 miles till it rusted away aroung the engine. Second was a 96' outback=120,000 sold to a friend who took it to Baja to be a surf wagon. Bought this one used with 20k I'm now at 30k. So far, nice car, no mechanical issues, drives great, still smaller than the new ones (I wanted that) drives through almost anything (snow, sand, mud) very comfortable on the highway on long drives. Finish is solid all the plastic lines up (AHEM chrysler...) and the fuel econonmy is good 23/28. Biggest complaint, the automatic is slow, and chunky, it seems to rob the engine of power. Look for a manual. Subarus are the offical car of the Mountain West!

Do Everything

Ron Boller, 05/22/2007

Have a 2002 WRX, wanted a vehicle with power and handling that had more room, more ground clearance and more comfort. The Outback XT fit the bill. The WRX is fun and to this point bullet proof. The Outback does not corner as well, but is a fast and much more comfortable. So far so good.

A great practical wagon

eds, 03/24/2008

Read all the car tests and test drove15 different cars. The Outback 2.5xt with manual shift just made the most sense. Very classy functional exterior design. Instrumentation better than my Audi. I'm 61 - this wagon was designed for adults but with the turbo its fun to drive-easily better than a Honda CRV.

A really fun car to drive!

sm1335, 04/05/2008

This car replaced a 2001 Nissan Maxima. We got the manual with turbo and VDC. It is such a fun car to drive! It handles great and when you kick in the turbo you pass cars so quickly the drivers mouths are open. Could that be a Subaru wagon? I like the firm ride and tight handling. If you don't like really "driving" your car, buy a Honda Accord.

First Subaru

Stan Thompson, 04/08/2008

I like the combination of great looks (dark gray), good economy (23.5 mpg 70% city while driving briskly) and the comfort of the interior. Absolutely zero problems in 19,725 miles. Love the extra large moonroof and the AC copes easily with Phoenix summers. The car is everything I was expecting and more.

Replacement for 2001 L.L. Bean

Old Soldier, 04/12/2008

Many improvements over the 2001 L.L. Bean we drove for 160,000 miles. Has more than adequate power on the road. Find traveling to be very comfortable.

51050