Used 2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews - 106 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Outback model:

No Lemonade from this Lemon
By Angry Owner

2001 Subaru Outback AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We bought a brand new 2001 Subaru Outback for reliability. It is anything but reliable. At around 75,000 miles it required a $2000 Catalytic Converter, at 120,000 it required a head gasket and head rebuild, at 125,00 the transmission took a dump, and now, it has had a wire short out in the dash which melted all of the wires. It's done at 135,000 miles. I will never buy another Subaru product again. We were told by many that this would be a reliable vehicle when we bought it brand new. But, within the first two years we received a recall notice that the head gasket was badly designed. They didn't replace it, they simply poured in "Subaru fluid" (basically Stopleak) to "enhance the head gasket's reliability. This is the crap we used to use when we were teenagers, drove beaters, and didn't want to pay to fix a leaky radiator. Of course, even with their amazingly lame solution to their f-up, the head gasket went out. Then the transmission. After we had already bought a $2000 catalytic converter at only 75K miles, we put another $4000 into this car for the head rebuild and a used transmission, and got another a measly 10,000 more miles out of it before the electrical caught on fire. When my wife insisted on a Subaru Outback back in 2000, I gave in. I bought a Honda Civic a year or two before for myself. It is still going strong after nearly 20 tears with no repairs except for an a/c compressor at 120,000 miles. The 1987 Honda Accord I owned before I bought my 2000 Honda Civic ran trouble free for 310,000 miles but got totaled by a hit and run driver. If it hadn't been hit, I speculate it would still be running strong today.

Overrated
By J Hannum

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Early rust issues. Reliability overrated

These cars are getting old, but if you're handy...
By Vince

2001 Subaru Outback VDC AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

These cars are starting to be classics and are somewhat complex for their day. I bought my 2001 VDC with the H6 engine to replace a gas guzzling GMC pickup that I use for adventure travel and getting to my camper, which requires offroad capability to get to. I saw videos on Youtube of these Outbacks doing some incredible things offroad so I decided to take a chance. My impressions: It has great road driving dynamics and the interior is much nicer than you would expect. The sound system is more than powerful for a stock system. Storage space is great and the seats roll forward and fold flat. You can sleep in the back for camping if needed. There's nice bins below the floor and above the spare tire- a nice touch. The engine's power is adequate under normal driving with the transmission keeping the revs down to heep fuel economy up. When pushed, it will make good power in the upper rev range. Being a flat six engine, it's near vibration free. So when I purchased mine earlier this gear with 65000 miles it still needed some mechanical love. Since it was used in the north some underbody corrosion has made the job harder as well. Having said that, I'm able to do the work myself and had to address the CV axles in the front (torn boots), front bearings, knuckles (were rusted), new calipers (rusted), rotors, and steering tie rods. These repairs would have been very expensive in a shop, but I was able to do it myself for just the cost of the parts and my time. The shocks were blown as well and abrupt bumps would cause a bottom out. So after 17 years with the OEM struts this is to be expected. Taking it offroad showed loss of paint on the front bumper from minor stream crossings so when I did the struts, I added a 1" lift suspension lift using strut spacers. So at this point I have it sorted out with maintenance and new parts. My benefit is a more comfortable and efficient ride than my old truck with better passenger comfort and interior storage. The roof rack helps too with a cargo carrier. I lost my heavy towing capacity, but that's OK. As a side bonus the Outback fits in my garage as well. At this point I have a slight oil leak from a valve cover gasket, but otherwise works like a new car after some love was shown to it. And comparing the Outback to any of my other trucks past and present, the offroad ability through deep sand is the most effortless of any of them. Subaru's are just that good and makes the work totally worth it for this level of capability combined with efficiency.

204,000 miles and going strong!
By Clifton Swanson

2001 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition AWD 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I suppose that every car is different, some have problems, but my 2001 L.L. Bean Outback has been as good as it gets. Almost no repairs except routine maintenance which I observe religiously. Runs like new. I keep trying to persuade myself to get a new car but when I get in and drive it, I just don't see why. I bought it for $22,000 when it was one year old with 25,000 miles on it so someone really used it but didn't hurt it. Must have been a lease car. It is so well made; the fit and finish are outstanding. I'm afraid to buy a new car!

Update with 215,000 miles. Still love the car but it's beginning to show its age. There was rust around the moon roofs that I spent $1,500 fixing and it's perfect...amazing. The rubber boots around the axels (something like that) had to be replaced twice, now, in the past 15 years. I think a motor mount is going to need replacement. The leather driver's seat has cracked and replacement material is not available. The motor is perfect and burns no oil, whatsoever. Still reluctant to get a new car.

It's love, all right!
By Diana Hilmer

2001 Subaru Outback Limited AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)