Used 2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Impreza for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Very poor wheel bearings & calipers, great dealer

Joe, 02/22/2017
2.0i 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased a new red 2017 basic Impreza on Valentine's Day. After three years, two wheel bearing failures make this a bad purchase and risk into the future. Even a CV joint failed due to a clamp failure. Best to avoid this car... History follows below. Our car needed an alignment in the first 100 miles--when aligned it drives very well. Dealer was embarrassed and very apologetic and performed the alignment for free. I recommend requiring your dealer to align any new car your purchase, regardless of brand. And any dealer would sell tons more vehicles if they aligned every vehicle as it came off the truck. There is nothing as sweet as a car that tracks right and hugs the road. The backup screen froze at 120 miles but Subaru had a full-blown recall on the basic head unit ready just five days from the incident. Remember this is a brand new design throughout the vehicle, so glitches happen. I was called within hours of the local dealer receiving the recall and they had the revised software installed minutes after I brought it in that evening. We have not seen any sign of the problem since. Negatives: -Unreliable wheel bearings. -Poor quality CV boot clamps. -Poor quality oil pan drain plug bolt. -Unreliable calipers, apparently. -No place to put change for tolls. -Lack of a CD player when they are still in use. CPAs, attorneys, use them. Libraries use them for talking books. -The rear deck is high, so visibility out the back is not very good. Of course the camera makes up for that a lot. -Power steering is slow to respond, much like a very large (think Cadillac) car might. If you are a jittery driver like me, this can make the car feel unresponsive until you get used to it. I would suggest this be adjustable through software, or that it be set a little bit faster for all vehicles. I will try to keep this updated if anything else shows up. 9/2019. After 30000 miles, dealer replaced the right rear wheel bearing under warranty. 9/2019. If you change your own oil, two things are odd. One is it is a very low car, so you will find it harder to drain the oil. Two is the drain plug is short with less to grab onto, and made of softer than normal steel. It is easy to round off. Use a six point socket with very little radius at its rim, and firmly press onto the bolt when turning. Use a washer, and when reinstalling, do not overtighten. Mine came overtightened from the factory, and I ruined it trying to get it off. Dealer replaced it for free. 1/20/2020. Took in for recalls for faulty rubber brake lines and faulty pcv valve, which were replaced at no charge by dealer. Right front CV shaft was replaced at no charge for boot failure. 6/2019. Damaged a tire. Replaced all 4 at 38000. 11/2019 Replaced rear brake pads with ceramic pads due to squeaking pads. Possibly related to earlier bearing issue. Pads did not appear worn oddly or excessively. 9/2019 We got 43 MPG US on a 600 mile trip at 65 to 70 mph. Very happy! 7/9/2020 Replaced second wheel bearing at 40200 miles, on left front. Car has had 2 wheel bearings and one CV shaft replaced in 40k miles. Very unreliable. Poor engineering. 6/2021 Replaced four coils and reprogrammed ECU, both because of recalls. A programming issue that could damage coils. 7/2021 51,000 miles on odometer, the front brake pads failed due to severe vibration in the front end. Subaru was on a two week delay for appointments. Had diagnosed by tire shop as frozen caliper pistons on both left and right front wheels. Ruined both rotors, ruined front brake pads. Currently it is at the dealer for diagnosis. Rumor has it that the calipers are on back order nationwide. We shall see.

Will never buy another subaru again.

Lex R., 07/18/2017
2.0i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I was researching buying a new vehicle for 2 months and heard alot of good reviews on Subaru vehicles. I looked at the redisgned Subaru impreza sport and was impressed with the exterior and interior design along with the additonal tech and safety features. I purchased the car on Memorial day weekend. Worst mistake I made to date. The vehicle has returned to Subaru service department in Connecticut (dealer and location will not be disclosed but they have been working with me and very professional). First about 1 week after purcahseing the Impreza the eyesight feature disabled itself on 3 different occasions. Two of the three times wather was clear and sunny. I made videos to show the service department and they stated it was a software update that was needed and the car returned to me on Thursday of the same week. The following day the eyesight disabled itself again along with the volume control and back up camera (again clear sunny day). Recorded the issues again and showed it to the service department. Vehicle was returned to the dealer and a updated software was installed in the vehicle the lead tech at the dealer filed and left a open tech claim on the vehicle . Fast forward two weeks went grocery shopping got out the vehicle (keep in mind the car is on) closed the door to open trunk and retrieve phone that was ringing the car locked its self. I had the smart key in my pocket try using it to unlock the car and it wouldn't work. I tried using the manual key to open the vehicle that didn't work either. I walked 1 hour total to and from the shooping center just to get the spare key to try to open the doors and that didn't work either. (During this time the car is still on). Could'nt take a video of this new incident because my phone was locked iside my car. Called Subaru and explained the situation they sent a tow to open the door and Suabru Customer Service said to immediatly take the car to the dealer as this might be a computer issue. The car has now been in the service department for 4 days with a perexsiting open tech case. The dealer calls me up and states they can't find anything work with the car. This has been a very frustating 2 months with this car. One would expect these issues with a much older model car not a brand new one. I have had Hondas and Nissan and never had a issue with these car. I must say has a company Subaru is trying to do the wright thing especially since this is the first time I ever purchase a Subaru vehicle but after all this is over I will never buy another Subaru again.

Huge and Horrible upgrade in Technology

Nate, 04/21/2017
2.0i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is the 5th subaru that i have owned. So I think its safe to say that i am brand loyal and big fan up to this point, but this may be the last. I bought a brand new 2017 impreza sport with almost all of the options. The within the first week of taking ownership the screen had gone blank with nothing working that was run through it. Was replaced. Another 2 weeks later the same problem happened again. So out of the first month of ownership it spent 2 weeks in the shop. I am still having problems now where every other time i go to start the car the radio resets back to defualt deleteing all radio stations and such. Have tried to get a hold of the service manager to no avail. This may be my first run at the lemon law. learned my lesson never buy the first year of the redesign.

Imprezive Impreza!

JPuraVida, 02/12/2017
2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is my second Subaru Impreza, but my first sedan. The 2017 Premium looks great. Nice lines, wheels and profile Inside, it feels like a Camry, or Accord...bigger than you would think. Controls are basic, intuitive, and easy to use. CVT acceleration is smooth and comes without buzz, which is a good thing! For 2017, Subaru has hushed the cabin and road noise. Their new platform gives this Impreza a sportier feel and very attentive steering. The heated seats and moonroof add to the upscale feeling. Braking is good, not great, which is usually the case in this class. AWD is awesome and worth paying extra for vs. a Sentra, Corolla, or others. Overall, this is another winner for Subaru!

Most problematic New Car I have ever purchased!

KenCO, 01/21/2017
2.0i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

UPDATE: We have had the car a year. It still occasionally has issues with the nav/radio system. Sometimes it just doesn’t work. Maybe once a month this happens. Sometimes restarting the car works but often you just have to wait a day or so. We had the system replaced multiple times before but considering there continues to be problems we assume more replacements will not correct it. We bought the top of the line 2.0i Limited Imprezza Sedan with the Harmon Kardon audio and have had numerous issues with the radio/nav system. It completely went dead within 5-days of purchase leaving us 300 miles of a road trip with no audio. Through electronic issues this eventually drained the battery and we were left jumping our new car after manually unlocking the transmission and pushing it out of the garage. They couldn't get replacements for weeks on account of new parts not yet being available for this car, which was frustrating. It was finally replaced and still doesn't work; now the back up camera is broken. Very frustrating. Have had it into the dealer 4 times in the first month of ownership. Not sure if they will get it fixed. Dealer mentioned another Imprezza in their inventory is having the same issues. Not very confident in Subaru's reliability at this point. As a quick side bar the brand new Legacy loner they gave us also had electronic problems; its windows operators were faulty. We have very little confidence in this car and our dealer. Looks like a lemon to me.