2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Surprisingly well rounded upscale sedan in Limited
By Jason H

2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

After returning my beloved Jetta TDI to VW a year ago, I took a leap of faith and bought a new 2017 Impreza Limited sedan with every added option included. One year verdict: I am glad I did— the new platform and upgraded features really transformed the model. The car is surprisingly well rounded. It handles well, is reasonably quiet, has sufficient power for normal driving, and is effectively an upscale sedan with the upgraded audio and Harmon Kardon speakers, 8” touchscreen with connectivity, and nicely done leather interior with comfortable seats. (Passengers seem uniformly happy and tell me I bought a “luxury” car before I remind them it is an Impreza.) I have grown very found of the adaptive cruise control, steering responsive LED headlights, and other EyeSight safety features that I now can’t imagine living without. Subaru really knocks it out of the park with safety, and the tech available is now leading edge too.

The AWD s a nice bonus in the winter (the car handles weather very well and feels solidly planted at all times). I get exactly the advertised MPG of 28 mixed and 38 highway using hand calculations from fill-ups. The car is no speed demon, but I have never felt like it was underpowered for normal highway and city driving. The CVT is actually fairly innocuous, and simulates traditional gears under hard acceleration or when using the paddle shifters— much more pleasant than some others I have driven. The engine can get a little noisy if pushed hard, but the sound is not too harsh.

I have not had any reliability problems. The only service other than the initial oil change and tire rotation was a software update to the infotainment head unit, which seemed to fix a few minor gremlins that other owners have also mentioned.

While the sedan lacks the added versatility of the hatch, I have actually come to appreciate two minor advantages: it is just a shade quieter in the cabin and gets a bit better fuel economy than the hatchback. I have also been able to fit quite long items in with the back seats down— the sedan is a few inches longer so permits quite long parcels if needed. The roof comes with roof rack attachment points (under the plastic runner if needed), but I have not installed a rack.

All in all, I have to say that this sedan has exceeded my expectations, after driving German cars previously. An AWD Audi A3 quattro or BMW 328d xDrive with similar features would cost an easy 15K more (they are only available as extra packages on higher trims), would depreciate much faster, and would run considerably more in maintenance and fuel (not to mention reliability differences). So, if you’re willing to forego some extra power and an elite nameplate, you can have much of the same cake and eat it too!

Impreza 2.0 Sport Sedan
By Jim W.

2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is my 4th Subaru. First two were very well used. I had bought my wife a 2016 Forester after our VW diesel buyout and I liked the AWD and the CVT worked great. This prompted me to check out Subaru for my new car. I looked online at the available models and settled on the Sport. Went to the dealership and drove the very one I had looked at online. I like the looks of the interior, and the red stitching sets it off. The AWD is great, inspires confidence in any driving condition. The CVT shifts smoothly, and the available sport mode with paddle shifters is a nice feature (although I don't use it often). The 8 inch radio screen is nice, but as others have mentioned the station presets have gone away a few times and Apple Carplay has failed to operate on 3 occasions. For Apple Carplay just shutting the car off and restarting fixes it. For the presets, the last time they disappeared I turned the radio off for 10 minutes (doesn't really have an off but the screen was blank) and when I turned it back on the presets had returned. Fuel economy is slightly lower than the EPA rating. I keep track of my mileage on fueleconomy.gov and mine is one of only 2 that have real world mileage on that site. I get 26-27 mpg city and I've gotten 33-34 max on the highway. This is calculated mileage using miles and gallons used, not the trip computer which usually gives a rating about 2 mpg higher than what I'm actually calculating. Most of my mileage is city which is reflected in the combined MPG rating below. Rear visibility is not the best as others have mentioned, especially when backing. The rear of the car sits up and the trunk spoiler doesn't help in this regard. The backup camera is very welcome for backing. I like the user configurable gage cluster on the dash. There are a number of different screens available (wheel slip and angle, light and turn signals, average fuel economy) but there is a screen where you can configure 3 different gages. I use oil temp, coolant temp and instant mpg. I find it odd that Subaru does not have their doors lock automatically when the car is put into gear or driven. Seems very odd these days. Also, the side view mirrors could use a blind spot lens. Trunk space is pretty good, but when picking up 3 people from the airport the trunk filled quickly and they had to hold some luggage. Not unexpected in a compact car though. I love the paint color (Blue Lapis Pearl) and the interior as I mentioned. Overall very pleased with the car. I've owned it 17 months now and have more than 10,000 miles on it. Had it in for the radio head recall for programming related to the backup camera, and also had an issue where the cruise control would turn off at random (turned out to be a faulty brake switch). Both were fixed quickly.

Will never buy another subaru again.
By Lex R.

2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I was researching buying a new vehicle for 2 months and heard alot of good reviews on Subaru vehicles. I looked at the redisgned Subaru impreza sport and was impressed with the exterior and interior design along with the additonal tech and safety features. I purchased the car on Memorial day weekend. Worst mistake I made to date. The vehicle has returned to Subaru service department in Connecticut (dealer and location will not be disclosed but they have been working with me and very professional). First about 1 week after purcahseing the Impreza the eyesight feature disabled itself on 3 different occasions. Two of the three times wather was clear and sunny. I made videos to show the service department and they stated it was a software update that was needed and the car returned to me on Thursday of the same week. The following day the eyesight disabled itself again along with the volume control and back up camera (again clear sunny day). Recorded the issues again and showed it to the service department. Vehicle was returned to the dealer and a updated software was installed in the vehicle the lead tech at the dealer filed and left a open tech claim on the vehicle . Fast forward two weeks went grocery shopping got out the vehicle (keep in mind the car is on) closed the door to open trunk and retrieve phone that was ringing the car locked its self. I had the smart key in my pocket try using it to unlock the car and it wouldn't work. I tried using the manual key to open the vehicle that didn't work either. I walked 1 hour total to and from the shooping center just to get the spare key to try to open the doors and that didn't work either. (During this time the car is still on). Could'nt take a video of this new incident because my phone was locked iside my car. Called Subaru and explained the situation they sent a tow to open the door and Suabru Customer Service said to immediatly take the car to the dealer as this might be a computer issue. The car has now been in the service department for 4 days with a perexsiting open tech case. The dealer calls me up and states they can't find anything work with the car. This has been a very frustating 2 months with this car. One would expect these issues with a much older model car not a brand new one. I have had Hondas and Nissan and never had a issue with these car. I must say has a company Subaru is trying to do the wright thing especially since this is the first time I ever purchase a Subaru vehicle but after all this is over I will never buy another Subaru again.

Huge and Horrible upgrade in Technology
By Nate

2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is the 5th subaru that i have owned. So I think its safe to say that i am brand loyal and big fan up to this point, but this may be the last. I bought a brand new 2017 impreza sport with almost all of the options. The within the first week of taking ownership the screen had gone blank with nothing working that was run through it. Was replaced. Another 2 weeks later the same problem happened again. So out of the first month of ownership it spent 2 weeks in the shop. I am still having problems now where every other time i go to start the car the radio resets back to defualt deleteing all radio stations and such. Have tried to get a hold of the service manager to no avail. This may be my first run at the lemon law. learned my lesson never buy the first year of the redesign.

really like our Subaru Sport
By Rdrockjunc

2017 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.0i Sport 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

The car handles great good mileage Instrument Panel easy to read interior looks great with the red stitching and carbon fiber . My wife really likes the car I got it for her shes very happy with it.