2021 Subaru Ascent Consumer Reviews

$32,295

Save as much as $148
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

Fantastic engine, sketchy CVT

Joe Mama, 01/02/2021
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Pros: 2.4L Turbo engine. A far less spartan interior than Subarus are known for. Great head and legroom. Mostly quiet ride. Limited on up trims provide a manual mode with paddle shifters. Definitely a must for slow speeds and stop and go traffic. Cons: 20" wheels with 245/50 tires are harsh riding. A hesitant and indecisive CVT squanders the power band of the engine. Touchscreen is primitive, circa 2015. Annoying, too bright indicators for the compass and passenger airbags.

Love it but !!

1hammer1, 03/14/2021
Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

This is the best handling and rideing suv that I have ever owned ( this is our 9th Subaru ) 2021 Subaru Ascent touring ( BUT ) The front passinger seat has no up and down ajustment ( strange for a high end touring ) And it is just plain noisey lots of wind and road noise And only a 19.2 gas tank (REALLY) WHY? and with a turbo that really sucks the gasoline and the front seat bottoms are too hard & firm for a long trip. I really wish that I could give this Subaru Ascent 5 stars but I can not, When going down the interstate @ 65mph we ( my wife and I ) Can not hear and understand the radio and barely each other just a bunch of noise because of the road and wind noise (SAD ) for almost $50,000 so as a loyal Subaru owner I only give ( 4 stars ) and because of the above I am trying out other brands now, I demand good ride and comfort AND QUIET. PS. This is not our 1st ascent our 1st ascent was a 2019 touring I traded it for the 2021 touring because of the ( Ulgy brown interior colors ) to the 2021 ascent black interior that we have now and love, the Subaru's that we have owned (9) have all been the most dependable vehicles that we have ever owned in our 49 years of marriage out of the (9) -- NONE HAVE EVER BEEN REPAIRED-- I can not say that for all the BRAND NEW Fords and GM's that we have owned during our 49 years of marriage. NOTE TO SUBARU: Why not get you act together and fix these problems so we can keep being a loyal customer.

Great on slick roads

Bryce, 01/04/2021
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

My wife is claustrophobic so the large moon roof really opens up the cabin. I love the driving assist features and she loves being able to turn them off.

Ad
Build Your Ascent®
At a Glance:
  • 8 Colors
  • 5 Trims
  • $32,295starting MSRP

5 out of 5 stars

I'm Not A Subaru Girl... Am I?

Laney, 05/24/2021
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I know Subaru's have a loyal following, but I'm not a Subaru girl and I've never once had a desire to drive one. I'm an "accidental Subaru girl". See, I've driven a Lexus RX300 since college and I loved it so much that when it was time to get a new car I got an RX400H. I put so many miles on my RX, that it was now time-- you guessed it-- for another one, so I took to Lexus to test drive my future SUV. The Lexus RX has undergone a major facelift since my old 2008. The Lexus designed its center to raise up super high and felt more like a cockpit than a driver's seat. Also the infotainment system was horrible and the SUV drove like a tank. Sadly I had to pass. I decided that I'd trade in being a Lexus girl to be a Jaguar girl! The FPace drove kind of like an ATV and for being a luxury car, it wasn't very luxurious. So it was settled-- I was going to be a Volvo chick! Understated luxury. I test drove the Volvo XC60 and it was OK. It drove kind of large and was a little more effort to maneuver but seemed OK. Volvo is known for quality, but ever since they sold to the Chinese Geely owners, some of the cars built in China aren't nearly as reliable, but whatever. I'll be a Volvo chick... or so I thought. My boyfriend and I drove down to Volvo Orange Coast to test drive my future Volvo-- a 2020 white xc60 with black leather interior. It was destined to be mine. I parked my Lexus and as I was getting out of the car (to test drive my future Volvo), casually said, "those SUV's don't look half bad", to my boyfriend who then laughed and said I should test drive one. He was serious! LOL Me test drive a Subaru?! As-if! I don't own a single pair of Birkenstocks, definitely don't eat granola and camping is 100000% off the table. I laughed off his comment, but he didn't back down. I had already test driven every freaking luxury SUV known to man... so whatever. Lets go drive the Subaru. Grudgingly, I drove the Subaru. It was surprisingly HUGE-- an 8 seater, and drove beyond nimble. I mean, this giant SUV handles curves and drives like its the size of a Mini Cooper! The infotainment system was incredible, the car's engine wasn't loud, and the inside of the car was just as nice-- if not-- nicer than the other luxury SUV's I drove. Also, when I told the salesman I wanted to go home and think about it, he thanked me for my time and gave me his card. There were no high pressure sales tactics, or any dog and pony show to speak of. Needless to say, I ended up buying the Subaru. I ordered my very own Subaru to spec and am the proud new owner of a white 2021 Subaru Ascent Limited. Had I never parked in front of Subaru I'd be driving a Volvo right now. I'm beyond excited about my new car. I've had it for almost 2 months and have a little over 4k miles on it already. I never thought I'd be a Subaru girl, but I'm glad it worked out... who knows, maybe I'll even give camping a shot... who's bringing the granola?!

5 out of 5 stars

Comfortable, capable, and cool!

Scott, 06/11/2021
Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Goes everywhere you need to go, with everything that you need, with everyone you want to take. I’ve not found a place my Ascent can’t get me. In grass, mud, and snow it is completely reliable. I just got my second one.