Used 2012 Porsche Cayenne Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Porsche Cayenne Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cayenne model:

Take The Plunge
By Gillman

2012 Porsche Cayenne S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl 8A)

Bought my 2012 S in Sept of 2016 with 45k on the odometer. Bose, 18ways, dubs. Researched local mechanics to see if I could purchase my own parts for installation and there are many former dealer mechanics that understand the logic. Have replaced all filters, and front pads with rotors just to be sure. Change my own oil (you tube). Still running orig. plugs at 66k, it's normally aspirated and the mpg (17.5 overall) suggests the logic holds, esp. with a smooth idle. Had an X5 for a decade and averaged 16.5 with 225hp and a six, this 400hp eight screams, you can toss your blue pills. I drove the six but a buddy told me to drive the eight before pulling the trigger and I'm still thanking him two years later, for a one mpg difference this bad boy is oh so light it's feet. (n.b. i'm running regular gas only) The Bose is more than you need, you may hurt yourself with it but Floyd never sounded so good. At night on the interstate at 80 with the stereo tuned to your liking you are there, where there is, is your own personal choice but it's probably near your glory days. I have never spent as much time in the 90's inadvertently, you'd best set the cruise. Fit and finish is boffo, rubbed this out with Meguiars compound and waxed it and the metal flake gray is an inch deep, like nothing I've ever owned. I'm a big guy and this thing swallows me whole, don't know about the back seats but my passengers are all smiling. Paid 36k, bought a 4 year bumper to bumper for 3600, piece of mind baby! At the time a new Traverse would have cost me the same, you choose. Screw the bucket list, zip up your big boy pants and get one of these, it's about the day to day . Job leave something to desire, make the drive to and fro nirvana. Later; now I have to go for a drive!

Best vehicle I’ve ever owned!
By Sharon B

2012 Porsche Cayenne S 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl 8A)

I’ve had many cars and SUV’s over the years, and quite a few luxury cars, 2 Mercedes AMG’s, BMW 530i, Cadillacs, Ford Explorer, but none take a candle to the Porsche Cayenne S I currently own. The front seats are without a doubt the absolute most comfortable. It functions like an SUV, but it handles and performs like a sports car. One of my favorite features is the Porsche Dynamic Lighting System (PDLS) that links the headlights to the steering wheel, so there are no more blind curves or turns! It’s comfortable, quite, functional and most fun to drive. I’ve owned two Cayennes and both have been awesome vehicles!

Great performer, but pricey to maintain
By Banx

2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

This vehicle has been fantastic to drive. With 500 hp, it accelerates 0-60 in about 4.4 seconds and there is zero turbo lag at any time. One big advantage of this model is the buttons on the console that allow the climate for driver or passenger to have air flow exactly as they wish in any combination of air flow outlets. The Bose sound is very good. The navigation system works well - this car doesn't have voice control. Heated steering wheel is very comfortable in the winter. The 16.35 mpg over the 22K miles I've been tracking it on a spreadsheet is 0.45 mpg less than what the trip computer has calculated. It requires 93 octane like all Porsches, so if you live in an area where 91 octane is the highest available, the ECU will not nearly give you the acceleration performance that this car could give you. Reliability has been relatively poor. At 35K, it needed a driveline transfer case and controller as well as a sunroof controller. Having the front brakes (rotors and pads) replaced was around $1950 - whoa! There is no oil dipstick; once the car has been driven a little while, a dash view of oil level can be seen in a submenu. This car has averaged needing a half-quart of Mobil 1 5w-40 added every 1060 miles (I just bought another 5-gallon jug of that oil on Amazon for $23). Cargo space in the rear is fine for us - it carries a few golf bags, etc. and has way more capacity than the Macan or Audi Q5. It also has slightly more space for cargo than the 2009 Lexus RX350 I'd had. One problem with the Cayenne is removing the retractable cargo cover shade entirely out of the bracket that holds it in place. It is a ridiculously tough chore!

Sleek, ultra comfort and a nasty growl
By Manny

2012 Porsche Cayenne Tiptronic 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

I bought a CPO 2012 cayenne hybrid last dec 2014 with 44k umber metallic with 21 PZero summer tires. I avg 20 mpg. After 16 mos I have no problems to report. This is my first hybrid auto so it took a few weeks to get used to the way the hybrid system works. I have tried to push it and man the power this car has is awesome. The growl makes me smile. Great brakes and those 21 inch sleek tires has amazing grip! Luxurious on the inside, supple leather and intuitive center console. I wake up every morning and open my garage to look at it and smile. I am pretty happy. The only cons I have is the depreciation I noticed after I bought the car, over 8k? That's after I looked at a few similar cars currently on sale. Poor nego skills on my part. Also First month my wife scratched the right front rims not once but twice! 5k tire pkg ouch! She will drive the audi from now on.

Turbo me to Planet Turbo!
By Stuart Renn

2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo 4dr SUV 4WD (4.8L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

My first car, and what a beast! The inside would have you believe this is a stately Rolls, floating over road bumps as if they weren't there. Then you put your right foot down and all of a sudden it feels like a track car.
My spec list: PDCC, PTV+, full two-tone leather with wood handles and accents, 4.8l turbo, full Premium pkg plus (rear AC, adaptive cruise, pano roof, ...), air suspension with PASM, 14-way seats and importantly, sound insulated windows.

I love the quietness of this car - you can hardly hear smaller vehicles on the freeway. Engine sounds lovely, non-intrusive. I really appreciate the comfort of this car the most - air suspension feels like a flying carpet, I have it set on Comfort most of the time.
The engine has instant power from low revs and gives out a lovely growl when woken up.

This is the ideal car for those who enjoy finer things in life.