Used 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

GXP 5.3L V8 4-speed Automatic - (69 reviews )

Like my old car better
By moms ride

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had the car a few months and I have to say I miss my 1999 Grand Prix GTP. I regret selling it to buy the 2006 Grand Prix GXP I have now. My old car handled much better and had GREAT fuel economy. 25-30 mpg for my daily driving. The GXP is getting tops 18 mpg. This is WAY under what I was told. The full size pickup with the same motor is getting 20 mpg. I also have lots of rattles and squeaks in the interior. It is also dogging and is missing. I am actually thinking about selling it already. I love the overall look of the car. It is a definite head turner. Guess I just got the bottom of the pile on this one.

Heads up.

Needs a spare tire and more back leg room. Less plastic on the interior and BETTER GAS MILEAGE..

Lovin My GXP
By Lovin my GXP

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this car on a whim. Went to test drive a Mustang. Hated It. Drove by this Dealer by accident, and test drove a Trail-Blazer. Then I HEARD this car pulling into the lot. From there I was in Ahhh. But to get behind the wheel of this Powerful V8, what a dream. This is my third Pontiac (others were Grand-Am GT's) and they have done something Right with this GXP. I put 32,000+ miles on it the 1st year I owned it. Its a great highway car. I love to take it out to the deserted stretches of straight rural roads, and let her loose.

Wheels, V8 Power, Interior Fit, Great Options, Outside look of car sets it apart from the average Grand Prix.

A hood scoop would have really done this car some favors. They're getting that right with the G8.

My Cherry GXP
By Cherry GXP

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My GXP has been perfect, no problems at all. Really is fun to drive and I love the purr of the V-8 motor. I trade cars every 2 to 3 years, but this is a keeper. I even bought an extended warranty for 7years and 84,000 miles. Told my wife to bury me in it. Mileage is not great, but a 400+ mile trip last year netted about 24MPG and not at 55MPH either.

Sound, remote starter

6 speed. But what can we do.

GXP Rocks!
By birdman64

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is one of the most rounded cars I've owned. I have had 5 Corvettes, ranging from c4's - c6's. And far the money, you get an awesome vehicle! I am very impressed by the gas mileage I achieve, I am averaging 27.5! Now keep in mind, this is a V8! Very responsive! Very quick for a midsize sedan. I love the looks and stares I get from others that wonder what im driving. Most people have not even heard of a GXP!

I love the power and repsonse of the 5.3 V8. I also really appreciate the brakes! They stop on dime, and look really hot! The exhaust sound is pricless too!

Best bang for your buck
By Q

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I loved my 2006 Grand Prix GXP the second I drove it. I was looking for something with muscle that could still be somewhat sensible. I have had zero problems with the car, and I still love it. I have the mileage up to almost 23,000 already, and I'm in the thing constantly. The remote start is fantastic! It even has a sensor that detects the outside temperature..so if you remote-start your car on a hot day, the A/C comes on, start it on a cold day, the heat comes on. All in all, my only complaint was lack of tire selection..however, Goodyear is now manufacturing Eagle F1 All-Seasons in the appropriate sizes and they are killer tires. There are several companies that make tires for it..

The engine...beautiful sound, wonderful acceleration, and the torque steer isn't half bad. The heads-up-display is amazing, and I got mine with a NAV system that is fantastic. All in all, I am happy with just about every aspect of the car.

Tires. The Protenzas that come on the car are good 3-season tires, but if you want something with traction in the winter, buy a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 All-seasons, they're much better all around. The tire sizes are new, so there is limited availability, but that is being rapidly fixed