Used 2003 Nissan Xterra SUV Consumer Reviews - 156 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

awesome suv
By Jessica

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE Rwd 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our Xterra at a public auto auction with no history know on it. After putting new tires and a battery in its been one of the best and most reliable vehicles we own. Haven't had to have any repairs or major problems since we bought it. A little rough but runs like a dream. The only thing I notice is the suv is narrower and has less distance between wheels and makes driving it a little bumpier, but not enough to bother me. Kids live the back seat..supee comfy and sits higher than from seats. Feels like a safati vehicle. Gets great gas mileage. Havent played with it in the snow yet, but looking forward to it. Will definitely buy a Nissan again.

Nice SUV
By AJ

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Best car for everything!!
By Bobby

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE I4 Rwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In all honesty it is one of the best all around cars you can buy, and cheap too! The acceleration is not bad for what it is, the teams is fantastic!! I beat on mine all the time and if you do nessesitys to maintain it will hold up forever! Mine has 220,000 miles and runs strong, only repairs are on the clutch and breaks, very solid, pretty safe is you drive normally, surprisingly hard to flip! Reliable fun, relatively safe and 25+ mpg!!

Above average but very versatile
By rdf63

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

Xterrra is a SUV build on a truck base. Good parts of the car: Great room from the ground to the undercarraige which makes driving in the snow very easy. Huge difference in deivimg the Xterra XE in the snow versus a saller car. Excellent space in the car with 6 stereo speakers and multiple USB ports. I installed a JVC radio and it looks and sounds terrific. Kids can plug in cell phones or chargers anywhere. Also not a bad looking vehicle and used touch up paint very effectively. Overall paint has held up quite well. Bad parts: Timing belt at 105K is very expensive. Car can be shaky at times but you have to remember it is a truck you are driving not a car. Gas mileage is pretty tough. I am at 16/22 but can use regular 87 gas. Windshield gets foggy pretty quick and engine is not easy to work on. Well those are the facts. Its a safe car that can be used for a lot of things whether it be taking your kids and his or her friends somewhere to putting golf clubs or construction equipment in the back. It is very versatile.

I hate this car
By hatemyxterra

2003 Nissan Xterra SUV XE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in December with 71,000 miles. I just put it in the shop for something (not sure yet), it was loosing power and slipping.
It has NO power and the 4WD sucks. I got stuck in my driveway in 1 inch of snow for 30 minutes one day, and the tires are good on it. It's gotten stuck other times too.
I've had nothing but problems with the car since I got it, and I did my research on it before I bought it, no mechanical issues before. It has none of the benifits of an SUV. Also, it is very difficult to shift gears. I have to force it into first, second, and reverse a lot of the time.

it looks cool