Used 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV Consumer Reviews - 61 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Great first car!
By Ams

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV SE 4dr SUV 4WD

I honestly can't say enough great things about this car. I bought it when it only had 130,00 miles and I've put another 14,000 on it. It's sturdy, reliable and probably saved my life the other day after I hit some ice and went spinning across the highway and hit both sides of the guard rail. I honestly believe if I had been in anything smaller I would probably be sitting in a hospital right now. Even after hitting the guard rails there is no real damage to the vehicle expect for the lights, grill and bumper. I absolutely love this vehicle! I already dread having to get rid if it. If you want a safe, sturdy, reliable car a nissan pathfinder is the way to go 100%. The makers of this car did an amazing job designing it! Although the one downfall to the car is gas mileage, but for being as old as it is It does pretty good. A full tank of gas will last me about 260 miles.

READ THIS!!
By arob0505

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV

My father bought a 1997 Pathfinder LE loaded off the showroom in 1997. He was a traveling sales rep and he sold me the car in 2004 with 265k. I drove it until it had 310k and gave it to my little brother in law for his 16th birthday present. He drove it for another year and a half and traded it in on a new Scion. I absolutely loved how smooth the tranny shifted, how quiet the engine was and how roomy the interior was. I loved it so much that I am buying another 1997 SE in 2 days! I think it is one of the best and most underrated SUV's ever made. It eats the snow and dirt and never dies. GET ONE!!

Comfort, Quiet, Great looks, 4x4

MPG

Loved it!
By prodigy1

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought my pathfinder used for $3500 and it had 160k miles on it. It was the base model with a/c and a Manuel trans. It was rough around the edges but the interior had held up amazingly. Everything on the inside looked in mint condition. The a/c still worked great. The 4wd was amazing and functioned perfectly. I was rough on this truck but it never gave me any issues. Fitted a snorkel to it and hurricane season was no problem for me. It would go through anything! Overall a great truck. It was reliable and durable. I handed it down to my sister and she killed it by way of not changing the oil. It had 221k miles.

Drivetrain was awesome

None

So far so good. Nice SUV with gas mileage like a car.
By adspof

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV XE 4dr SUV

Just bought it after selling my 1996 Ford Bronco which I loved but at 11 mpg was beginning to feel the pinch.
So thought a stickshift 2 wheel drive Pathfinder would do the same as I don't 4x4 ever really.
I like the lite but sturdy feel and I just feel like I am saving gas as I coast everywhere in nuetral 1/2 the time and use the gas the other 1/2 it seems.
Only issues have been general maintenance stuff I guess, as never had to deal with on the Bronco.
I have already had to to the front struts, carrier bearing at center of driveshaft, right side exhaust manifold (cracked), charcoal cannister, trailing arm bushings to stop "pathfinder death wobble".
If paid a shop $2,000 so did on own.

The design. It just looks sharp for being 1997. Seats fold flat pretty easily and good height to climb in and out of. Not really a good SUV for someone really tall or really fat because doors are tight, seat is tight and overall inside room tighter than say a Ford Escape. I am 5'10" 200 pounds so average and feels perfect. Like the stock wheels that came on the next level up from mine so bought a set with tires at local wrecker for $120 all 4. What an improvement over the silly steel wheels. Add some light tint all around and a pretty expensive looking ride in my opinion.

Knocks sensor goes out on these so locate it somewhere it can actually be serviced easily. My god under the manifold? Really? Guy on Youtube has "Pathfinder Knocks Sensor Relocation" video that is excellent. 4 hour job now becomes 20 minutes. Wonderful!! Also I assume Nissan redesigned the rear trailing arms so that when the bushings go bad you don't wreck. You cannot drive over 35 mph with these bushings bad unless you want to lose control.

Fantastic First Car!
By Shea

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SUV LE 4dr SUV

My great uncle sold this car to me cheap soon after I got my license last December. Now, it was in great condition mostly thanks to my uncle treating it like his firstborn son since he bought it in '97, but what a great car he chose! I've had it for almost a year and it's required shockingly little maintenance for a 13-year-old car. 130,000 miles hasn't slowed it down a bit. It drives great, even in bad storms and intense heat. My parents and I feel safe knowing that I have a sturdy reliable car to get around with. I was definitely dealt a good hand with my first car compared to some clunkers my friends were landed with. My compliments to Nissan, this sucker's going to last me for years.

Timeless build, beginner-driver friendly, good A/C & heat, reliable, low-maintenance, secure

Gas mileage (but to be expected on an older SUV)