Used 2008 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 395 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

CVT Transmission
By Leslie

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this car cash money from dealer, heard a whining noise when accelerating took it back to dealer they said that is the way Nissan's shift. Drove it home as it was my son's Graduation/College present. Less than 4,000 miles later. CVT transmission needs replaced. Since we as the 4th owners are outside of the 120,000 mile warranty, we have to replace it ourselves. For someone that lives pay check to pay check with a kid in college. I can't just cough up $4,000. My uncle suggested that I reach out to Nissan Corp, well after them telling me they could not help me until it was CERTIFIED Diagnosed by a dealership they could not discuss the issue with me. I spend $100.00 to get the Certified Dealer to diagnose the problem and Nissan Corp says we are sorry you are outside of the 120,000 mile "EXTENDED" warranty. I am sorry but if you, "Nissan Corp" realize that their have been complaints on the CVT transmission to give an extended warranty, then why not do the RIGHT thing and fix my sons car. We told my son he could not have a sports car for graduation and he saw this car and fell in love with it. It has all the bells and whistles a kid wants and looks good also. Shame on you NISSAN for crushing my kids dream car. I guess now we will try to sell it! If I guess we could use it as a Crash Derby Car!

SCREWED THE WIDOW WOMAN
By R LYONS

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Bought it used, knew the owner , 1 owner, well maintained , 2 months to the day of purchase , i'm replacing the cvt transmission not a happy girl, give me back my '92 Buick any day. It ran like a scalded dog , never any problems . Shame on you Nissan shame on you

Reliable and fast
By czarzour@knology.net

2008 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I currently have 150,000 miles on the car. No issues. Had the 100,000 mile service done. Oil changes every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. Very comfortable ride. the 3.5L has very good pickup and go. My only complaint is the headlights fogged up around 100,000 miles, but it seems a lot of cars do that nowadays. This is my third Nissan. Had a Nissan Stanza 5 speed that I sold with 180,000 miles and a Nissan Frontier 5 speed that I sold with 170,000 miles. I have heard issues with the CVT transmission, but I have had no issues yet as it is an expensive repair.

cvt lemon!
By betty bell

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Purchased a great looking Nissan Altima coupe for 8300.00.it is a 2009 with 86.000 miles,drove it a week and the cvt transmission went up,it was under factory warranty due to a class action lawsuit for faulty cvt transmission issues.after this,I read many reviews on the car,only to discover that this problem is common ,do not buy Nissan,it's horrible

Good Car Except for the CVT
By mtnhiker70

2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

The car drive nicely and I've owned it for 9 years, 100k and done just tires and brakes. But I've had major problems with the cvt. It's been warranteed by Nissan. The transmission died on a long trip last summer. Thankfully it was still under the recall warranty. But it could have caused an accident and we left stranded 3 states away from home. A dealership in NJ fixed it and the tranny is much better now.