Used 2008 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

Used Altima for Sale
Select your model:
12345...82

Pros
Cons

It was the most perfect car I've had

clock84, 03/05/2013
2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my 08 Nissan Altima Coupe in 2008 brand new. It was my first brand new car and I'm still in love with it even though I don't own it any longer. I put over 50k miles on it in 3 years. I took it on long drives from Omaha to Chicago and Omaha to Indianapolis. The seats were so comfy that my butt was never abused. The acceleration was always great even though it was a 4 cyl. I had no problems getting around in the winter during some bad snowfalls. The only reason I traded it in was because I needed to get a bigger car for a family. When I think of my silver 2008 Altima I get a little tear in my eye as I wistfully remember how great of a car it was.

Altima CVT Transmission Problems

Oblique, 07/23/2010
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Ironically what attracted me to the Altima besides its styling was the CVT (Continuously Varible Transmission) which is a new style automatic with a belt inside instead of gears. It is smooth but not reliable or durable. After just 55,000 miles the transmission began to act up on warmer days especially in stop and go traffic. The dealer just said, "oh that can't happen. They reset the check engine light and charged me to replace the fluid (60K service) and the very next week it got worse, check engine light on all the time. They spent 5 hours telling me a new transmission would be covered under the extended warranty. I am trading this troubled CVT Altima in on a HONDA Accord! CYA, CVT!

Most reliable car with great mpg

brianarm, 10/12/2011
2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought my altima new for under 20K. I now have 50K miles on it and have had only 1 issue. The bolt holding the alternator broke, the fix cost me $75 because the threads were stripped. I am still on my original tires though I do need to replace the fronts now. I calculate actual gas mileage myself and average 28 mpg in mainly city driving. So I go about 560 miles between fill ups (sweet). Car is plenty quick enough and was a lot faster than accord or camry (which I test drove). CVT is smooth and zero probs. I'm also 6'1 and have no problem with headroom or entry exit of vehicle. There's a reason this car is such a great seller, it's an auto mechanics enemy.....

I think I'm in love with this thing.

russellusm, 05/24/2007
3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love the overall feel of the car, inside and out. I owned an 03 Altima and I must say that Nissan has stepped it up a notch the the design of this car. The interior is very plush and the control are nice and simple. The instrument cluster is nicly laid out (not too busy). The acceleration is pretty good for a grocery getter. I have gotten a lot of looks. This car turns heads. Good job Nissan.

CVT Transmission

Leslie, 07/05/2018
2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Bought this car cash money from dealer, heard a whining noise when accelerating took it back to dealer they said that is the way Nissan's shift. Drove it home as it was my son's Graduation/College present. Less than 4,000 miles later. CVT transmission needs replaced. Since we as the 4th owners are outside of the 120,000 mile warranty, we have to replace it ourselves. For someone that lives pay check to pay check with a kid in college. I can't just cough up $4,000. My uncle suggested that I reach out to Nissan Corp, well after them telling me they could not help me until it was CERTIFIED Diagnosed by a dealership they could not discuss the issue with me. I spend $100.00 to get the Certified Dealer to diagnose the problem and Nissan Corp says we are sorry you are outside of the 120,000 mile "EXTENDED" warranty. I am sorry but if you, "Nissan Corp" realize that their have been complaints on the CVT transmission to give an extended warranty, then why not do the RIGHT thing and fix my sons car. We told my son he could not have a sports car for graduation and he saw this car and fell in love with it. It has all the bells and whistles a kid wants and looks good also. Shame on you NISSAN for crushing my kids dream car. I guess now we will try to sell it! If I guess we could use it as a Crash Derby Car!

12345...82