Used 2011 MINI Cooper Countryman Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cooper Countryman model:

Issue after issue
By Mike Halliday

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I've had this car less than a year, bought it with 53k miles... now has 63k and I've experienced literally 5 major issues, to the point that I'm forced to sell it. 2 weeks after getting the car, the engine began miss-firing. Then the electrical system blows out. Then a terrible squeel starts coming from the engine compartment. The cupholders and mirror have fell apart... its just a complete piece of crap. No car with perfect service records and only 60k miles should act like this. I highly recommend NOT buying this car.

Mini Mania
By William channell

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is a fun car to drive, it's my second Mini that I've owned. The Countryman S is roomy for four people; it's fast; really fast in curves; super in town because of its agility and size ( for maneuvering and parking). I've had no reliability issues with either of my Minis that I have owned, but my Clubman got better gas mileage ( 28 city and 37 hwy). The ride on both is rough, so not so good for passengers, especially in city streets in West Virginia where I live. However, this is a sports car and as such, the ride is to be expected. The interior layout of controls is not good, but , has been corrected in 2014 and later models. Still, I like all Minis. Still no problems, at 35000 miles. I will always like Minis.

Great fun to drive, but watch out for repairs
By Tim

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is one of the most fun to drive I have ever owned. Yes it is a little noisy on the highway, but town driving is one of the best times to have fun driving. It is an all around great car to drive, and even is ok for long trips. My issue is that both the alternator and fuel pump have needed replacing on my car. This is the first car I have owned that needed this. These are very expensive, look out wallet! What they also do not tell you is that the spark plugs need to be replaced periodically and will cause the car to literally not run if your dealer overlooks this. I have never experienced this with other vehicles. I do not mind that it needs premium fuel to operate, but I do mind the costs of repairs. If you get this car, make sure you have also bought the extended warranty for the maintenance & tire repairs. Very expensive option, if you do NOT get this.

The mini experience
By Patt

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman S 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Well i really didn't want this car at first. But my gf and i at the time choose it together because she was handycap but and could only drive an automatic. But i must confess i later fell in love with the car. Rule of thumb, is to wait a few years to buy the model you like so all the dumb [non-permissible content removed] is taken care of and the constant 2 hour trips to the dealer are about non existant. The only problem i had was an oil sending unit. Was under warranty, and i dislike the plastic trim in and out. But i will take care of that soon. I immediately removed the run flats, bought a spare rim. I looked up potential problems and bought all the parts i need just in case, and have videos of installation process. But i never had to replace a thing yet myself. I changed my oil every 4.5 k. About to do tranny fluid. Even though the car drives perfect. I replaced all suspension parts for heavy duty ones, by choice, because i was bored, And aliment is rock solid. I lifted my mini so i may have higher clearence and threw lt tires on it. This is year two of ownership , and i have already put 30k on top of the 40k i got it with. And i beat the snot out of it. So im sorry, but im happy with the car, and its reliable.

Not Economical at ALL
By slfisher70

2011 MINI Cooper Countryman S ALL4 4dr Wagon AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I drive ALOT. The car is fun to drive when there aren't any mechanical issues. Owned by BMW, but shows NONE of the standard quality elements seen in BMI engineering. Fun to drive, but EXPENSIVE and CONSTANT maintenance. Computer is quirky. If the car goes into "limp mode". The Transmission is sealed and can only be maintained by the "dealer" which ask for leg and arm to service. Chronic alignment issues on the "rear"? Have notified Mini Of North America of the flaw in the rear control arms. Even had the dealer perform the alignment only to tell me after $350 they were worn out. Computer updates that some how get "missed" during service but are found after warranty has expired.Continued issues with random warning lights. Low tire is always on and can't get it off not matter how diligent you are with tire pressure. No spare tire which is fun to find out when you have a FLAT. Run Flat Pirelli tires are not economical at all. $35K for a car no spare tire?? It is slippery in snow and ice with the ALL4. Better all wheel drive vehicles. They make this car almost impossible to service yourself. Better cars for the price UPDATE_ Mini North American is aware of the alignment issues. I have eaten through tires about every 3-5 months. I align and it stays that way for about month and it is back out. The last time I contacted Mini North American. Made them aware of the "short" rear control arms. They just glazed over it and said we'll make a note of it. The next time you are out look at the rear camber on a mini. TOE IN. Update again- 120,000 had one dealer tell me engine needed $4000 worth of work and another $1500. I change my oil and am very aware of maintenance. This is getting too much to handle but I can't pass this lemon on to another person. Just got notification of faulty high pressure fuel pump for cars under 10 yo old or 150,000 miles. Have had several young people look at the car- Oh I want one of those or I am thinking of getting one of those. ME- DON"T! They are constant maintenance with little support from manufacture.How can Honda make a car that will run for >300,000 miles with minimal maintenance and Mini you get to 30,000 and its ready for its first round of fix issues. Have replaced the main computer already memory due to a crack in the head light that "back fed? "