Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews - 18 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific R-Class model:

Benzy family vehicle
By Lisa

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We love this vehicle for family trips. It is much better than an SUV, since it has 6 cylinder engine, easy access & roomy. It has much more class than SUV or mini van! It is very safe. Has a lot of power. Interior looks brand new, in spite of being 9 yrs old. Love it! Would purchase again!

Practical Luxury
By Baker

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is a beautiful car, solidly built, smooth ride, amazing sound system, super quiet. A great car for transporting people. The second row of seats have lots of leg room. People love riding in this car. A great commute car because it is a very smooth and stable ride, great handling. It is a long car, and its hard to tell where the front end is, making a little awkward to park. The best thing about this car is the price. You can pick up a used one for a fraction of the original sales price. Be warned that after a heavy rain or snow, your "check engine" light may come on". Don't take it to the Mercedes dealer. Take it to your trusted mechanic. I did and he turned the light off, and it never came back on again. Don't fix anything unless you are sure it is broken. Seats seven passengers. All the rear seats fold flat for lots of cargo room. Nice sunroof. Love this car. I replaced my Chrysler Minivan with it. My wife loves the car. Mercedes was way ahead of its time with this design. A lot of other cars have now imitated the design, but when it came out, no one could figure it out. So it didn't sell very well. All to our benefit now. Go get one. UPDATE 12/01/16: I've had this car 2 years now, and have only had to change the oil. Love this car. Still cheap to buy used. Assembled in Alabama, USA.

Mercedes R350
By jayw5

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

The Mercedes R350 is the worst car ever, visibility is poor but the car is very stable driving at high speeds.
I purchased an extended warranty thinking that I was going to keep the car but I am rushing to get rid of it.
The car only has 45,000 miles but have replaced the battery three times due to a faulty computer, and front shock @ 20,000 miles and the other front shock @ 40,000 miles.
Each shock is $1,300 dollars, no mechanic want to touch it.

The ride is comfortable.

Very poor visibility

It's Not a Minivan
By Savage

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Due to the growing size of our family a car that seated 6 or more was in order. We did not want a minivan, already had an SUV, wanted a wagon or something that drove more like a car for our long road trips to the beach. This Crossover gives everyone their own room and plenty of it with a nice smooth ride. Bought used and it was well worth the price (new was out of our league), plus it has the Warranty so Mercedes service fixes almost everything.

The kids love the Panoramic Sunroof. I enjoy the roominess as I'm 6 foot 3. My wife loves the automatic liftgate, opens up with a button and the kids just climb in the back. 7-Seat option is a must. I-Pod connector is cool.

MPG is OK Windshield wiper switch is in a can't see location. I have it memorized now.

A good family car
By JW

2008 Mercedes-Benz R-Class Wagon R350 4dr Wagon AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We traded in our Porsche Cayenne for an R350 due to passenger limitation in the Porsche. The Mercedes offered a spacious interior with comfort and luxury as well as easy maneuverability. The engine can be sluggish to start but the ride is smooth once you get going. If you're tall, you may want to think twice as there is little clearance between my head and the interior roof of the car without moving the seat all the way down. The sun visor is also tricky to put down without having to move my head back. Difficult to get used to after having 2 suv's with more height and flexibility.

Panoramic sunroof. Sound system is good and easy to use. 3rd row seats fold down easily. Safety and comfort. More rugged than expected in the snow.

Very poor front sight lines despite the sensors. Controls are tricky with the push btn start as well as the "behind the wheel" shift key feature, which can easily downshift while driving at high speeds. Bluetooth activation should be standard. Navigation system tedious.