Used 2000 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used M-Class for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

15 years with very few problems **UPDATE in 2018

Bob F Deja, 07/30/2017
ML320 4dr SUV AWD

15 years of hard city driving in Chicago winters. The exhaust, rear shocks, alternator are still original. I got it with 30k miles, all I did over the 15 years is a rear wheel bearing ($15 on amazon), a cam position sensor ($10, 10 minute fix) front shocks, window controls ($100, 1 hr fix), belt tensioner after 17 years, and the starter went out after 15 years ($150, 1 hr easy fix). That and fluids, belts, oxy sensors. I tow boats, cars with it easily, love it. Most things are an easy fix and easy to get at, the metal quality is superior, always amazed at how easily the bolts come out after so long and so much road salt. Unstoppable in the snow with Michelin LTX tires. ** 2018 update - still have it, still love it, almost 20 years old now. A/C needs a top up every year but still works, original parts. original alternator. Recently replaced the front brake hoses, just because they were old, but they were still in amazing shape, brake lines broke loose with a little penetrant, amazing with 19 years in chicago winters and salt. Went to rebuild the calipers with new seals but they didn't need them, original orange viton dust seals and square piston seal were fine. Pistons were made of some kind of thermal fibercompound, no corrosion, no problems. I have no reason to replace this car, except the body is starting to rust, but starts every time. May keep it another 20 at this point. Last year I thought it was done, oil was all over the undercarriage, thought the rear seal was gone. Turned out to be a failed oring type gasket for a square cover on the front of the engine, 10 bucks at the dealer, easy fix.

No regrets!

palm coast, 03/28/2010

After 7 years owning this Benz, I considered buying another car, but have doubts that anything could be as reliable, good looking and fun to drive as this one. If and when the day comes that I do buy another car, I'm sure it will be a Mercedes SUV.

2000 ML430

Adam Campbell, 10/03/2015
ML430 4dr SUV AWD

Car is a pleasure to drive. Purchased with 76k. ABS pump, ebay 46.00,mechanic 1000-1400 , ps rack 650.00 mechanic 1500.00, front pads, sunroof issues, catilytic converter broke in two, had it tig welded .overall very happy but I am fairly skilled DIY, don't buy if you are relying on dealer or mechanic to fix your maint. issues .

Not bad at all!

coolman, 05/10/2010

I have owned this car for 10 years now and i am still trusting it. It had some minor problem but so has every car. The only problem is the interior parts are not very durable. Little things like the door panel, handle, seat panel etc. Otherwise, it is a very reliable car. In fact, it is more reliable than my newer BMW 7 series. I will get another Benz because of the reliable engine and trans and the comfort, not sure if it will be an SUV but might consider the E class. the m class is pretty worth it for the price and re sell is not bad at all.

Nice Car, but Very Costly to Maintain

flomasta77, 01/05/2011

Although we bought this car used, it has only been fun to drive for the first 4000 miles, then major things started breaking down in this car. Computer Module at 90k, $1000 repair. Then, cracked radiator at 92k, $900 repair. Then, 110k, tension belt and pulley blow out, $550 repair. Also, these repair are being done by mechanic, which is way less than what the dealer would charge. Normal wear and tear items like tires, brakes, and oil changes are very costly. It's a nice car, but it is becoming really difficult maintaining this vehicle. Also, the interior trim was made with cheap plastic, and is breaking. We expected better from a Mercedes-Benz product, and will not buy another.

Mercedes Should Be Ashamed..............

glacierdon, 06/01/2009

It's apparent that the 2000 ML 430 is a lemon. I have gone on various sites and people from all over are having the same exact problems. The windows won't roll down, the doors won't lock, the brakes always need replacing, the exterior lights are always blowing, the power steering went out, the sun roof gets stuck, the interior is coming apart, and now when I stop at lights it cuts off and won't start for about 30 to 40 minutes. this happens at least once a week. From my understanding these vehicles were built in the U.S. If I wanted an American car I would have bought a Ford. Mercedes should do a recall on these vehicles. The repairs needed on the vehicle are more than it's worth. Seriously!

Nice SUV

jreimers, 08/16/2006

I purchased this SUV second hand at the dealer last year. Purchased the extended warranty which seems to be paying off. it drives nice, looks good, and is fun to own. A little high on gas. Last year's repairs, $1200 before warranty

500,000 km and going strong

jjroadtrip, 04/26/2013

Just reached 500,000 km and its still a reliable SUV. Body starting to rust, minor wear and tear repairs. Still getting the occasional recall notice.

I love the car

Alan Vance, 02/28/2017
ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I WILL START OFF SAYING THIS IS MY FIRST MERCEDES. AND i FEEL i GOT A GREAT DEAL ON THE CAR FOR 2000.00,AND i HAVE ALREADY GOT MY MONEYS WORTH. AFTER 2 YRS AND HIGH MILES WHEN PURCHASED,IT HASNT GIVEN ME A PROBLEM ONE

MB= Mucho Bucks in Repairs

Kevin, 09/09/2006

Save your money, buy something else. Repairs are endless. Engine rebuilt by factory at 50K due to high oil consumption (was still under warranty), both catalytic converters replaced. Check engine light is on more then off. Factory brakes replace every 20K miles (dealer says it is normal), and window switch panel replaced 3 times. I've had other MBs, and this is trash in comparison. Nice looking vehicle, fun to drive, but the maintenance is terrible. I use a private mechanic now, put Brembo brakes on, and the brakes last much longer. Engine codes when it is not acting right aren't specific, so you go through a lot of trial and error in diagnosing problems.

Great SUV but

tarrid, 04/19/2013

Real fun to drive, lots of power with the 4.3l. Nicely designed vehicle. but could have been made better. I have driven this ML for about 1 year now and if you dont stay on top of things it would fall apart. Just the up keep will put you in the red. Parts cost alot (dont buy from the dealler) unless they are small parts. $100 for a oil change ( oil and filter ) and i do it my self. synthetic oil only. $100 for the 16 spark plugs. super gas only $$$$$$$$ Tires $$$$$$, Power window switch. Check engine light on and off all the time. I knew it would cost abit more to keep (Mercedes Benz ) but i have a family and a life. This is a very time and money consumming vehicle to own.

Great SUV for MB Enthusiasts

RL_Terry, 07/26/2007

Ever since I saw Jurassic Park II: The Lost World, I have wanted the Mercedes ML. I think the gas mileage is superior to that of other similar sized SUVs. Out of all the SUVs I have owned (Blazer, Explorer, and Envoy), the ML320 by far has the best gas mileage. I average 19-20mpg in town and 27-58mpg on the interstate. If you own an SUV, do not compare the gas mileage to that of a sedan or coupe- obviously the fuel economy will not be as efficient. The spartan interior is a very simple yet elegant design; however, I do find the CD change in the rear a bit on the inconvenient side. It's stylish, comfortable, and a Mercedes; what more could a 24 year-old want. I would reccommend this SUV.

Awesome SUV

KKawz, 07/01/2003

It seems strange to me that alot of these reviews are so negative about the M-Class. Other than a few minor problems (mainly switches and dashboard lights) my ML430 has performed admirably. It has impressive power and acceleration for its heft; the best qualities come out in high-speed driving. It feels very solid, and has that Mercedes vault-like feel. Also, it has cool styling that doesn't sacrifice function. Very luxurious and comfortable, yet doesn't have a real boaty ride like on some other SUV's.

Good SUV but needs work

Keith, 11/03/2017
ML320 4dr SUV AWD

First good things. We had some long trips and I'm surprised of it's gas mileage. I get 23-25 on freeways going 80 mph. Good pick up, good interior and nice when you order all options. We have owned this SUV from new and still owning it (17 years). Key is maintenance. Now the problems. All I remember is I spent many weekends at dealer's. They did the things they need to do but some problems weren't addressed. For example my sunroof has been rattling ever since. Okay after warranty, I took over the maintenance. Oil change/ATF fluid/Coolant/Gear oil/brake fluid. Spark plugs. Don't believe what they tell you ATF fluid for life. Most of the problems are sensors which caused lights to come on. Engine valve covers leaked so I had to change the gaskets. I had to change a faulty crank position sensor which caused the SUV to shut down at stop, a YAW sensor which will brakes on it's own, and a lateral sensor that leaves the infamous ESP/ABS light on. Battery drains fast through radio. Door switch have to be changed twice, and all door openers. Instrument cluster lights need changing as well. Things I have to bring to shops: AC and preventive water pump replacement. I can understand if you cannot do these things you'll have to spend big bucks so only buy when you can deal with it.

Love it!

joes, 07/10/2008

Bought as a certified vehicle with 25K on it. Now has over 100K and is as solid and smooth as ever. Minimal problems were covered by warranty. Gas mileage better than expected (16mpg in town/20mpg on road). Great vehicle. I am looking for another one with the diesel engine.

Gotta luv it

GMan, 11/13/2002

We got a great deal on this ML430 with 6 months and only 6000 miles on the clock and a 100K Starmark. Better deal than any new purchase. Yes, we've had to endure the stupid small fixes: drivers window stuck down, back passenger door sticking, left side of drivers seat broke. BUT, this is one heck of a drive and we love it on our 400 mile trips to Jay Peak. We had Pathfinders before, which we thought were comfortable, but this ML430 gets us there in such a refreshed state (and with style) that we now realize how mcuh of our energy went into driving the Pathfinders.

ML430

joe, 04/03/2008

Bought as a certified vehicle with 25K miles. Now has almost 100K and has been a pleasure. By far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Still as solid and smooth as the day I bought it.

I hate this car!

sillygirl, 02/22/2009

We bought this car with 34000 miles on it. It was great the first two years. Minor things going wrong only. After that many little things went and each part was very expensive. Check engine light was on almost always usually sensors but all the time it drove me crazy. The SUV was very comfy and had all the bells and whistles but not worth the hassle of needing to be fixed all the time. I am getting rid of it tomorrow and it will not be missed.We have a leak in the front that no one can figure out where it comes from too.

What's your problem?

Gperson, 07/16/2004

We bought this used with just 6,000 miles on it and a Starmark warranty after owning two new Pathfinders. What a difference. This is a great SUV. Comfortable, fast and, I have to risk saying reliable. We haven't been let down once in 65,000 miles. I marked it down a little on build quality because we have had a couple of stupid switch type problems but that's it. Our average gas consumption of 18 is pretty darn good for a V8 of this weight. We just had the brakes replaced for the first time and are on our first set of replacement tires. Not bad for a vehicle now at 71,000.

Not my Favorite

Candi, 04/02/2008

I've always owned BMW's, this is my first Mercedes Benz. I must say I prefer BMW over Benz. I like the drive but the seats are not comfortable they don't recline very well. I am starting to have multiples of problems from simple things as the window switch needs replacing to the radiator and now the brake control unit which is expensive. I'm trying to now sell this car but I'm afraid someone will be disappointed when they have to maintain it. But it's cute!

Original Owner now 17 years

Eric Martin, 06/20/2017
ML320 4dr SUV AWD

The best thing I can say for my 2000 ML 320 is that every time I test drive another SUV with the temptation to buy something new, I am more appreciative of my ML. The vehicle remains rock solid, and extremely comfortable. Granted, I only have 90K on it, but because it is from local use, I have put the interior through a lot of use. The leather seats were a wonderful choice, and are still flawless. Yes, there are sometimes repair issues, but over the past 17 years my average monthly cost has been well within the range of ownership of any premium vehicle. I'll probably drive my ML until the wheels fall off, and only God knows when that will be!

GAS guzzler

oliver, 08/24/2009

I've had the car half a year and what I have to say that it's a gas guzzler will never buy another Mercedes again, interior and exterior don't have the greatest design, mostly bought because of the name, but I got tricked on this one.

bad service

wenshen, 06/16/2013

This car keeps giving me problem. Every time the dealer charge me several hundreds just to check it. Once the dealer charge me $1000 for just checking the warning lights and not finding anything. The car is powerful and fun to drive in long-distance travels, but the bad service keep me away from buying a new benz car.

Solid Performance form my ML430

RM, 03/01/2009

I bought my ML430 in 04 with 22K miles and some remaining factory warranty. I have had some minor issues but for the most part it has been rock solid. It has used 3 sets of brake pads and a set of rotors over 90K miles. I did have a leak from the power steering pump that required service. The only issue now is that the interior is beginning to show its age. I use this car to tow a race car trailer long distances, it could use a but more power. The Nav system is very dated now but still works OK but there are no data updates anymore. Back seat fold-down system is just plain dumb. Like everybody the glue from the door insulation melts onto the windows on hot days. I still love this car!

Save Your Money

Garfield, 06/18/2009

Bought the ML 320 because of the name. However I donated the car today because you look pretty stupid sitting on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck to flatbed your SUV away. I had the car regularly serviced whenever the wrenches appear on the dash. App cost each time $400 - $800. Service was great until mileage got to around 80K. They tried to get me to buy a new car and when I balked problems began. I won't outline but I spent more than $6000 in repairs during the last 6 months trying to save the car and avoid a new car payment. Save yourself the hassle and buy a Toyota. I donated my ML 320 to charity so at least something good came out of it.

ML's are cool!

Butchdom, 08/15/2003

We enjoy our 1998 ML320, From the SF Bay Area we have driven it to Oregon, Seattle and British Columbia. We also have taken it to Las Vegas Nevada numerous times. The ML handles well on mountain roads at high speeds even in the rain. We take our ML on camping trips, cross country trips, lake picnics and we also tow our 17 ft. Bayliner boat. ML's are not perfect but name an SUV in it's class that is as tough? The ML can haul ass!

Mercedes SUV

Jill, 01/02/2003

This is our 2nd Mercedes SUV. Previously purchased same model in 1998. The 2002 had many improvements and enhanced comfort ... great vehicle that I would recommend to anyone!

Look somewhere, anywhere else

Candalerio, 07/28/2003

Poor reliability, serivce, design and material quality sum it up. Endless trips to the dealer for repairs and each requires 4 days while they get parts. Requests to fix things are ignored because "its supposed to be like that". Resale value is a joke: it seems word is getting aorund. I don't understand how MB can have a good reputation producing cars like this. Obviously, I will never buy from this manufacturer again.

High maintenance car, low quality

Stefan, 01/12/2007

Bought the car in Oct 2000 new, loved it for the longest time. But then the little things started, later got bigger and bigger. Like so many else had to get new brake pads every year (~$300), and new rotors every other year (~3,000). Then a pipe in the steering wheel went out on a 2hr trip. The pipe ($2?) was covered by warranty, the $1,500 damage to the steering wheel was obviously not covered. Great. Got it repaired, drive out the dealership, next day power brakes warning light goes on, damaged from some problem, another $1,500. Not with me, my friends. Bought a 2003 Nissan Murano just now, and the ride is so much smoother and more comfortable, no service issues.

too many issues with ML320

omar804, 01/20/2014
ML320 4dr SUV AWD

worst car i have owned, its always something with it, always issue pops up, 1st it was the door locks keeps poping up and down on their own, than it stalls, i had change the fuel filter, and now its not clicking on the first try, and the parts are expensive and maintenance is expensive as well. from what i heard

Just the Beginning... I Hope

mfrankln, 03/24/2014
ML430 4dr SUV AWD

We were shopping for a used SUV of far newer age but found this 2000 M-B ML430 really cheap at a small local used car lot. (The owner of the business has been in the same spot since 1987 and the entire community knows and respects him.) The ML430 had been sitting idle for about two years. It has some minor dings, a few rust spots from sitting under an old tree on his lot but was otherwise quite intact. Upon first test drive, we were immediately impressed. The only problem on day one was that it had 87 octane gas so we had to fill 'er up with some good stuff. It needed an oil change and the plugs (all 16 of them!) will be done be day's end today. Cont'd

My ML

bill dante, 03/10/2002

From day one I was very happy with the ML. Rain,snow or shine the car has performed to my fullest expectations. My next car will be the Mercedes ML

Great vehicle

Jim Brown, 05/17/2002

This is a great vehicle. Its alot of fun to drive, has been the most reliable SUV I have ever owned.

Great Machine

lockheed, 07/02/2002

Great machine for east coast winters. Large trunk space and drives more like a car.

oh baby

oduenyi, 07/31/2002

Drives like a car and highly recommended for any one that has taste of quality suv.

As promised

bargamon, 09/04/2002

Truck has been solid performer, good MPG for a truck, excellent all weather perfomance, engine great, not problems except power steering hose, covered by warranty.

Worth the Money

Scarmen, 11/22/2002

As expected, the handling and road manners are very good. Quality of interior is very high, and my entire family loves this vehicle. It rewards the driver with excellent road manners and confident road feedback. Have had no problems and the Mercedes dealers have been great.

Love my ML 430

Scott H, 11/30/2002

As expected, the handling and road manners are superb. Quality of interior is very high, and my entire family loves this vehicle. The ride is firm but very comfortable. It rewards the driver with excellent road manners and confident road feedback.

Still in love after 60K miles!

Hardjr, 12/10/2002

Trend setting M-B looks that others have followed will keep this SUV in style for years. An average 20mpg every tank. Great acceleration, performance and handling.

Would Buy Again!

auntgranny, 02/09/2003

Purchased used private party 9 mos ago w/30,000 miles;now 46,500. Replaced the brakes & driver window switch. Dealer service outstanding. Car is fab-more comfortable & better gas milage than my old Grand Cherokee. Average 20-22 mpg which I think is great for SUV.

Mixed review

j3, 08/03/2003

Like many ML320 owners, I have been frustrated over the last 3 years with numerous needed repairs. Early problems took away any new car fun. The dealership was very good about fixing the problems. My wife's 1998 E320 Wagon is a tank, few issues and superb build. It is hard not to lay the blame of the ML quality problems on the US based manufacturing. Still, the ML has not left me stranded, and if I could ignore the quality problems, it is a good size/design for my family of 5. Used it on several road trips. Still, I doubt I would buy another car made in America, regardless of brand.

best SUV

dlinc, 09/17/2003

THIS SUV IS 4 WHEEL DRIVE AND RIDES LIKE A LUXURY CAR. EXCELLENT SERVICE. WHEN YOU BUY IT WITH MAINTENANCE YOU ONLY PUT GAS IN IT. DEALER DOES ALL THE REST FOR FREE. WHEN THIS STARTS LESS THAN $40K, BEST VALUE IN TOWN. OURS HAS HAD NO PROBLEMS. DRIVING IT FOR THE 3RD YEAR NOW. PURCHASED NEW.

Awesome car

dkitter, 01/02/2006

I bought this about two months ago, runs like new, looks like new. No funny noises, handles beautifully

The Best of The Best SUV's

TigerCt, 04/10/2004

This SUV has been the best choice in an automobile purchase I have ever made. The ML320 is pure joy to drive and I love its style. I've added 17" rims and grille guards, side rails and tail light grilles all by WAAG which gives the ML320 the "Urban Warrior" with class look. The ML's interior is extremely comfortable and the amazing color screen which acts as the radio/cd/ navigation/phone etc. is amazing.

Beast of a car

Chie, 04/06/2019
ML430 4dr SUV AWD

I have had my ML430 for 3yrs with no major issues. Bought it when it had 207,000 miles for $3000. It has 227,000 miles and have not put much into it. Had to put motor mounts when i first got it, other than that it's been a great truck. Looking to get another ML 2005+. Im keeping this one as a secondary vehicle. Looking forward to put another 80-100K on this truck still.

I can't be happier.....I just sold mine.

chong, 09/14/2003

Engine and transmition problem, electrical problem, window won't open, doors won't lock, lost power steering two times within a year, dealer charge me $1500 to replace a light bulb in the running broad, cracked rear side panel, change break pads three times in the first 30,000 miles, low feul light blinks and no dealer can fix it and many more.My EX-ML almost killed me three days ago when it lost it's power steering. And I just fixed the power steering two weeks ago because I got a recall from Mercede. THE RECALL LETTER SAID THE ML CAN LOSE IT POWER STEERING SUDDENTLY AND MAY CAUSE DANGEROUS SITUATION. This really happened but after They FIXED the problem!

The best M-class ML430

skye, 12/11/2005

First off I live in East Hampton Long island N.Y. where the M-class is rarely seen.But in N.Y.C.(Brooklyn) they are all over the place (ML320'350's and 500's)but not ML430s they stand out they look a little more unique because of their bigger rims and smaller body. I love this SUV it is so great it has a powerful V8.Check it out!

Just Plain junk for $45K

ssanan30, 12/23/2005

I have had 4 window switches put in, 2 CD players, got a leak from somewhere when it rains (water ends up on the floor boards). Brakes wear out early, tires wear out, traction control sensor, and air bag sensor on the same side go bad 2 times. With 48K miles, the stiching on my front leather seats have come appart. And we don't drive this car much!!! Have talked to others with similar problems. Beware before you buy. Will never by anoth MB product again. Oh yes $500 for mass air flow sensor.

ML430

cdrsdad, 12/28/2004

I waited a while to write this review because of the negatives I have read about the Mercedes-Benz ML430. I purchased this truck as a certified used vehicle. Other than the poor fuel economy, I could not be happier. Service on this truck has been far cheaper than on my previous Mercedes-Benz wagon. Some of the interior trim has a little trouble wih the dog...meaning he broke it. I love the GPS and the Bose stereo. I am at 75,000 miles and the truck still looks close to new. One other problem is that the odd tire size means very few choices for replacements.

A great all around vehicle

R Waterhouse, 05/11/2005

I had heard a lot of negative things about the reliability of these cars before I bought one, but my desire overcame caution. I have not regretted that decision for one moment. Recently my lease was up (4 years) so I did the usual and test drove all the competing vehicles. Each time I got back into my ML I thought, well this is a nicer car. This went on for months and in the end I bought the ML out of the lease and I still love it. It is a well mannered, well built, nicely designed vehicle that will fit into a small parking space, yet hold a large amount of goods. I recently remodelled my home and used it as a truck, hauling lumber etc. then went to the car wash and came out with a luxury car.

51050