Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV Consumer Reviews

ML320 3.2L V6 AWD 5-speed Automatic - (63 reviews )

Loved the car for the past 18yrs
By Jennifer

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Have this car for the past 14years. Very much love my car because how reliable it is for me to get around. Usually the car don't have any major issue except for the normal wear and tear (e.g break pad, rotors, head light, minor oil leak). What I love about this car is that is made in the USA, except for the engine, which means that when they have to make any repairs it won't cost me an arm or a leg for the parts. Most expensive repairs I have to make was to put a new AC after the car reaches age 10. Unfortunately, my car has reach its limit and the cost to repair the car is not worth the value of the car. I will say this car was worth what I paid for and I will buy another Mercedes again.

Used 1998 ML320
By tja623

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I just bought a used 1998 ML 320. What a gem!!!! Plenty of power/torque, good acceleration, and an AWD system that handles itself great in the snow. Everything works, leather is in perfect condition, Bose stereo is fantastic, everything is what you would expect from a Mercedes Benz. Previous owner was a Mercedes Technician, so the vehicle was very well maintained. His wife hit a deer, and he didn't feel like making necessary repairs. So I got lucky, being a co-worker of his, he basically gave me the car for 2K and i had to repair the vehicle myself. A fender, hood, & bumper later, and I'm four wheelin' in the snow!!! You would never know this thing is 15 years old with 200k miles on it!!!!!!

All wheel drive system is fantastic!!! This vehicles longevity is excellent. Plenty of room for wife and kids, AND ALL their sports equipment!!! Extremely safe. The ML is built like a tank with a REAL steel bumper!!

Never Left Me Stranded
By CJBENZ1

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

My suv has always been reliable I've had it now for 12 years, the biggest problem has been the window switches that have been replaced twice for $300. Every other repair has outlasted the manufactuers recomendations. I suggest finding a good German repair faculty,repairs are on the exspensive side at the dealer. I've gotten good gas mpg average 20.

What made me purchase my suv was the exteriors good looks. Gas mileage and price.

More exspensive quailty interior materials, brighter headlights and more front and rear leg room.

Over 150k and going strong
By Eman

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

Reliable SUV, driven hard for 150k miles. Great in snow, mud and rough roads. 22 mpg at 75 mph. Low range has come in handy several times. Some maintenance issues with electronics, suspension and engine mounts.

Winter driving, 4 wheel drive, highway driving, roomy interior, Bose stereo, reasonable mpg for 5000lbs vehicle.

Cup holders, middle rear seat only has a lap belt - should offer seat upgrade with 3 point restraints in all 3 rear seats (dealers can not offer any solutions).

It's been a good car
By waltzonice

1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 4dr SUV AWD

I am the original owner, bought in April 1998 and now it's over 12 years old and 145k miles. Lots of little things, but nothing major. I love this car but it's time for something different. Ordered a 2011 Land Rover LR4.

Handling, gas mileage, ride

Climate control, burns oil like crazy, expensive to maintain