2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class Consumer Reviews

$36,230

Save as much as $1,427
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Finally Found The Right Car for Me

What I Was Searching For, 01/18/2021
GLA 250 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8AM)

I had been searching for an upscale small SUV for much of 2020. In early summer I researched and did 1-2 long test drives with a BMW X1, Volvo XC40, Audi Q3, Lincoln Corsair, and Mazda CX-5 and CX-30. At that time the all new 2021 Mercedes GLA was not yet in US showrooms. None of the luxury brand vehicles available in early summer sold me for the price. The Volvo, Lincoln, and Audi were all lovely inside and feature rich but lost me on the test drive. The BMW had the ride, handling, and powertrain I liked best (and the most straight forward infotainment and nav system to use when driving), but I couldn't find one equipped the way I wanted and was also concerned that that it was nearing the end of its model run and lacked some of the available features of the more recently redesigned competitor vehicles. The Mazda CX-5 was too big for what I wanted, but the Mazda CX-30 came closest to the feel of the BMW X1 at about 35% less MSRP so I bought one in July (you can see my review of it on this site). I had electrical system problems with it and was stranded three times, and was getting nowhere with the Mazda dealer who implied it was somehow my fault. I was frustrated and did not trust it, so I resumed a search in December that brought me to the GLA 250 4matic. I have had the GLA 250 for about six weeks and absolutely love it. Zero issues or criticisms. The powertrain, steering, handling, and ride are exactly what I was looking for in a small, sporty, luxury SUV. I bought one pretty well loaded with most everything except the panoramic sunroof and AMG trim. Infotainment, navigation, and safety tech are all state of the art. The new MBUX interface is easy to use while in motion after a couple hours of study. While the Mazda CX-30 was good value and had a handsome interior, there is undoubtedly more content quality and features in the Mercedes GLA 250 that clearly differentiate the two. The Mercedes dealer experience was probably the best of my life, and I am a senior and have purchased a lot of new cars in my years. I hands down would have bought the 2021 GLA 250 in July had they been available, and I am fortunate that I got a great trade value on my Mazda (only about 10% less than what I paid) that spurred me to proceed to flip it so soon.

A big car in a small wrapper!

HPB (Colorado), 11/05/2020
GLA 250 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8AM)

Mercedes somehow squeezed a big car into a small car! This tiny SUV is classified a subcompact, but I'm 6'1 and have plenty of headroom, legroom, and shoulder room front and back. It's high enough that it's easy to get into and out of and to see out of. It's built very solidly, has a peppy but full efficient engine, and 4-matic for Colorado mountains and weather. And the Burmester sound system is just about the finest I've ever heard. The only negative is price, which rises quickly with options. Got mine for $47K and change with 4-matic, panoramic moonroof, premium package, and the Burmester. Feels a little high. But, hey, it's a Mercedes. And it feels like one, albeit in a small package. UPDATE AFTER 6 MONTHS: Still very happy with this car - - manages the mountain roads over Loveland Pass in bad weather, comfy, fun to drive, enough room in the back for ski stuff or german shepherd (but not both). It was this or the GLB and having driven a GLB loaner (while my wife's GL was in for service) I made the right choice, driving dynamics of the GLB totally different - - more like a truck than the GLA which feels like a GTI on the road. My only wish? A 5 speed manual transmission option. Alas, the manual transmission is disappearing.

Mini GLC - What's Not to Love?

JennInTheDesert, 12/15/2020
GLA 250 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8AM)

Turned in my beloved '19 GLA on the 2021 due to space concerns. The Good: ride quality (no longer feel like my joints are being dislocated when hitting a pothole) seat comfort phenomenal MBUX entertainment system (it's really easy to figure out, so don't listen to the haters) MUCH more interior space increased visibility edgy front grill ambient lighting augmented video navigation many high tech features acceleration The Not-So-Good: substandard audio system sound as compared to previous generation (upgrade to the Bermester sound system) gone is the fun, rally racer, almost WRX quality ride - it's now a true compact SUV

Ad
Build Your GLA
At a Glance:
  • 8 Colors
  • 4 Trims
  • $36,230starting MSRP

Nice job MB

Ralph Dodds, 04/13/2021
AMG GLA 45 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8AM)

Now that I’m older and facing health issues I needed something more suitable than the 63 AMG I had and loved. This is it! Power and handling are almost as good. Comfort is as good or better. MBUX is okay so far. Build quality is exemplary. While I have happily owned SLCs, Corvettes, Carreras and Macans in the past I am perfectly happy in my GLA 45 AMG.

Can I Return It?

Florz, 05/19/2021
GLA 250 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8AM)

Where to start? Waited six months for delivery and was crazy excited when it arrived. Fully loaded with just about every option. After a week I despise the car. Turbo lag when you first accelerate...the $840 Burmester audio system is totally underwhelming...the Augmented Reality Navigation impresses friends but is distracting due to having to repeatedly take your eyes off the road to look at it...the MBUX is complicated. If I could return it I would in a heartbeat.