2021 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Consumer Reviews

$37,850

Save as much as $1,507
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Good and bad both

Kabir Chaudhry , 05/22/2021
AMG CLA 35 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

This car is good looking, amazing fast machine which would always push my adrenaline to a next level, though I would not recommend buying as the suspension is way too stiff on the CLA 35, it would make you feel every small bump on the road. I got the 19 inches wheel, I suggest Mercedes not to offer more than 18’s on this car as my 19 incher’s are bent due to all the road conditions even after being very careful with the bumps. All this leads to rattling noises in the car my sunroof / door panels was fixed a lot of times but the rattling wouldn’t stop coming back, this is really irritating which is why not buying this car would save you a lot of trips from the service centre

Shiny red CLA

Mary Lynn, 02/04/2021
CLA 250 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Love everything about my new car. Interior is awesome.

Misinformed by Miscommunication

Should have gone to SM MB, 01/17/2021
CLA 250 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I leased a CLA 250 in October 2020 and was told that the car came with "run-flat" tires. I was shown the trunk area, which didn't have a spare tire and apparently didn't need one because of the "wonderful run-flat" tires. I loved the car and proceeded to negotiate pricing. At the time of financing, I was convinced to get the tire and wheel warranty based on the finance manager's rhetoric about being able to drive 50 miles on a run-flat tire and not having to pay out of pocket to repair or replace the tires or wheels. Fast forward to November 2020, I get a flat tire. The tire goes flat immediately, causing concern for these supposed "run-flat" tires. I had to have to car towed to the nearest Mercedes Benz Dealership (Downtown LA Motors), who informed me that the car did not have "run-flat" tires. I was shocked. Of course, I had the dealership double check the system and was told again that my car should have come with "run-flat" tires but instead have "summer" tires. Nonetheless, Downtown LA Mercedes Benz service department kept my car 9 days for a flat tire! There was a lot of back and forth with the service department and the tire and wheel warranty company. The entire process was excruciating and stressful. I eventually called Calabasas Mercedes to get clarification on the tires and appallingly got the run around. I was transferred from person to person and voicemail to voicemail. Everyone I spoke with claimed that the car is listed in the system as having "summer" tires, not "run-flat" tires and they don't know why I was misinformed. Angel, the service director claimed that the issue was an employee training issue and apologized for the confusion. It wasn't until I contacted corporate that I was able to get my call returned by Michael Franz the general manager. Michael also apologized that I was experiencing tire issues and reiterated what I was already told about having "summer" tires. He contacted the Downtown LA dealership and had the service charges waived (which I shouldn't have been charged in the first place because of the warranty), and nothing else was done. Michael told me that I should always try to bring my car in to the Calabasas dealership so that things could be handled to their standards in the future. As a long time Mercedes customer, I am deeply appalled by the actions and customer service of both the Calabasas dealership and the Downtown LA dealership. I was depending on both of the dealerships to take care of me as a customer and to give me accurate information. I would have never purchased the wheel and tire program if I would have known that the car didn’t come with run flat tires. Despite the dealership claiming that there is a training issue amongst the employees regarding the run flat tires, I would still think I had run flat tires currently if I hadn’t gotten the flat tire. I feel dismissed and deceived by all parties involved. As a female customer, this situation feels very predatory. To be lied to about pertinent information about the car and then held responsible for the error as if I made it, is outrageous. It absolutely makes me think twice about purchasing another Mercedes, as well as, wanting to keep the current car that I am leasing. Im second guessing everything I was told. What else didn’t come with the car that they stated should come with the car? Will it take another breakdown or flat to discover another snafu? Do I really need the tire and wheel program if I have regular tires? Can I cancel the wheel and tire program or am I stuck in a contract because the additional charge is tacked on to my lease payment? Should I get a spare tire for the car since I have regular tires? All of these questions run through my mind daily as I drive the car. And the most important thing that runs through my mind is that Mercedes didn’t protect me as they should have through this process. I felt unheard by everyone I spoke with regarding the matter and the entire situation has caused stress and anxiety. I expect more from Mercedes Benz.

Ad
Build Your CLA
At a Glance:
  • 10 Colors
  • 4 Trims
  • $37,850starting MSRP

Styling, Hi-Tech Sold Me

Pete G, 07/16/2021
CLA 250 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

I picked this particular Mercedes because it is a beautiful design and offers the same driver assistance features as the high end MB models: standard brake assist, lane keeping, front and rear cameras and sensors, blind spot and rear side warning. I added the optional full assist package with 360 “cameras” road sign reading and speed adjust, etc. On a well marked highway the car will drive itself indefinitely with just a finger on the wheel. A tap on the turn signal stalk gets an automatic lane change when it’s clear ….. very convenient and I use the feature often. But styling alone would sell me on the car. The CLA looks especially good from the rear quarter where the curved roofline joins the simple curves of the lower body. The interior is years ahead of mid range MB models and competitors with a continuous multipart screen that covers most of the dash. The infotainment controls are doubly or even triply redundant with touch screen, steering wheel, and a pad controls for most functions. It is so much easier to use while driving than the iDrive system in my BMW that I actually use most of its features. There is a voice activated assist that gets simple commands right, but copes poorly with anything beyond that. For example trying to get the odometer reading bu asking (to avoid changing any of the driver’s three info screens to see the odometer), proved impossible. The promised computer learning curve so far, in over a year, is close to flat. The standard powered front seats are comfortable and roomy for average height people. Good leg room with thigh support extensions, but sexy styling provides minimal head room. Rear seat suffers more and space is very limited but we don’t use the CLA if we have more than two adults in the car. Engine performance is good. Turbo boost comes in smoothly, but the dual clutch 7 speed transmission is often jerky and hesitant while driving in traffic. It has three performance settings with comfort setting the default. I drive in sport setting in traffic because low gears are held longer and there are fewer shifts made. Any good manual driver will shift more smoothly than than this transmission. The CLA comes with more standard features than comparable BMW offerings but doesn’t offer equal performance. It is the “luxury” alternative and has an interior that beats most, if not all of its competitors as well as higher line models. Give this car a traditional torque converter transmission and I would give it 5 Stars.