2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Consumer Review: It's a Benz - Three years on w

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class - Consumer Review

CLA250 Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 7-speed Automated Manual)

It's a Benz - Three years on we still love it!
By sumgai on

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class CLA250 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

June 2017 It's a Benz, as reliable as all the other 3 pointed stars our family has owned since 1962. It is the only Benz i've ever wanted to take to a track and toss it around. Just feels like a go-kart, close to the road and one with it. We love it!

June 2016 update per Edumunds request. Two years on - Still the best looking Benz since the Gull Wing. 2 years after cars introduction still receive compliments on the CLA250's appearance from passerby's on the street. Mercedes Benz scheduled maintenance is hassle-free. Incredibly fuel efficient for a car with above average performance. Wife adores it, it is her car. If Mercedes intended this car to be a stepping stone to a more expensive Mercedes they made a big mistake; no other Benz in production appeals to us or comes close to the perfect lines and form of this artistic masterpiece! Halfway through the warranty and prepaid maintenance plan (time wise) we are very happy with the CLA250 and are not even looking at new cars. Stereo is nice, HD radio is nice. We use bluetooth cell for navigation and Pandora, so do not use Sirius/concierge service etc. Ride comfort from the seats is just like the "grosser Mercedes" in my past; you can drive all day and step out of the car feeling as refreshed as when you start. I tried the identical all-day trip in a Prius V we owned, I needed a chiropractor at days end from the drivers seat and a couple of aspirin for the headache from the lack of sound deadening materials (to minimize weight/maximize fuel economy), the Prius was like riding in a drum. We traded the Prius V PDQ after that long trip. Ride handling in the CLA250 is better than any Mercedes in my past, this car has a taut suspension, just like my Z06, you are one with the road.

Cons: Turbo lag causes slingshot effect. push the accelerator, nothing, then thuwack! color me gone. Tire of having to switch off the auto engine turnoff feature at stoplights. Just another form of lag from a start. Manual hood strut is really chintzy on a $30K+ car. Proximity sensor too sensitive - Goes off too often when I am driving - My wife says "what was that?" I say it is just the car bitching at my driving. I don't need both a wife and a car criticizing my driving! Ate a battery after 1.5 years, replaced with free MB roadside assistance under warranty. Have to turn off the auto wipers...in Fort Lauderdale you get a coating on the car from a combination of sea air and near 100% humidity. At night when it gets cooler you get condensation on the car, which the sensor interprets as rain and activates the wipers: big streaks of goo on the windshield until you use the washers to clean. And whats up with that screen? It is like Mercedes engineers said "Ve haf to have a screen like all other cars, but ve don't know vat to do with it!" I get more information from the DIC between the instrument pods. Radio is a PIA to program or even search/scan for HD stations. Missing? Rearview camera which was only a part of an expensive upgrade option in 2014. But it's a small car so no expanse of sheet metal unseen without a camera. Are these game changing complaints? No, these are simply nits I'm picking in a near perfect car for us. Two years on we still love it!

This beauty is a Benz, I know because I cut my teeth in Benz's, literally.
My first ride was my Dad's 1962 220s and i used the door sill to help me cut teeth, so there were some holes in the leather near the front window vent.
He moved on to a '72 280se 4.5, a '87 300e, a '98 e320 and then a 2007 e350.

I bought the 98 e320 from him when he got the 2007 and I offered to let him keep the carpeted floor mats since the car interiors were the same color.
Surprisingly, the e320 was wider than the e350 and the 98 floor mats were too wide for the 2007!
So imagine my delight when the drivers side 1998 e320 floor mat fit perfectly in the 2014 CLA250!
(the passenger-side mat was 2 long)

• Headlights
  • Transmission
  • Electronics
  • Fuel economy
  • Warranty

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review