Used 2007 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Night mare
By Robert lewis

2007 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Sport 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Buy if you like high price parts

Perfect for a driver with the right circumstances
By Jonathan Baker

2007 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my 2007 RX-8 Seven months ago. It had 62,000 miles on it and the engine had about 15,000. (At least half of the RX-8's I looked at were on their second engine.) It is slightly modified with a cold air intake, aftermarket exhaust and 19” wheels with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo summer tires. I bought the car shortly after I started commuting to work by train minimizing the impact of the poor fuel mileage. Should I have to return to a lengthy commute here in Los Angeles, the car will be up for sale in an instant. My city mileage in the 17-18 range. I can’t give a useful hwy figure because all my non-city driving is blasting through mountain roads.

That of course is where this car shines. It is spectacularly agile and balanced and there is nothing like having the throttle control of running in 2nd or 3rd gear at 6000- to 7000 rpm and still have a couple thousand more at your disposal. The car is completely neutral in the turns, and the Hankooks (which isn’t a brand I would normally consider) are the stickiest tires I’ve ever owned. So far, the car’s ability easily exceeds my talent.

There is no question this is a sports car. You have to be engaged with it for the fun to happen. It won’t come from just a pressed throttle. With little in the way of torque, you have to work to access the power which is then quite rewarding. You sit low, both brakes and throttle respond quickly and effectively. The steering is no match for the non-assist rack I had in a Miata, but still surprisingly communicative given that it is electrically assisted.

When not used as a toy, the car is benign if thirsty partner. I have put adults in the back though not for long distances. The usual rear seat occupant is an oversized backpack that carries work, lunch and gym items and the rear door makes it quite accessible, though things can get a bit involved in cramped parking situations. The navigation system just shows how much displays have improved in the past 10 years, and the database seems convinced I live in in Massachusetts, so I love the fact that I can make the screen disappear. I do find the nav screen a great companion in the mountains however, where seeing the shape of the next curve informs me of the appropriate approach speed and what gear to take it in.

Like most RX-8 owners, I keep a quart of oil and funnel in the trunk, though thus far only use the better part of a quart every three fill ups. Don’t check your oil in the dark. As the dipstick receiver much like the engine itself, is very low back by the firewall and hard to aim for when you can’t see it.

I was skeptical about the digital speed display at first, but rather like it now, especially as it allows the tach to be large and centered. The steering wheel has just the right amount of buttons and the dash controls are both easy to find and operate intuitively. Visibility is good, particularly though the wrap-around rear window. The taut leather seating surfaces do a good job of imitating vinyl, but still keep me in place in the mountains. The Bose stereo is adequate, though I wish for a simple auxiliary input. A previous owner installed an iPod connect cord which, though an adapter plugs into my iPhone 6. Unfortunately, the connection only works when it feels like it.

As mentioned, my vehicle had a modest amount of modification. I don’t know how much of a significant difference the intake makes, but it sure looks good when the hood is open. Likewise, I’m not sure how effective the exhaust is beyond broadcasting to the world whenever I’m in the 6000 to 9000 rpm range. The just-short-of black 19” wheels look more bad-ass than is probably appropriate for this 50-something year old and the low profile tires definitely add some harshness to the ride, though as mentioned, they redeem themselves in my self-indulgent mountain excursions.

It is those mountain drives that give this car a reason for being. Frankly, if you don’t have reasonable access to lightly traveled twisty roads, you won’t get to use it for what it’s best at and I’d recommend a different choice. The occasional freeway cloverleaf just isn’t enough.

Edmunds has asked me to update:
I've now had the car for a year. Nothing above has changed, nor has my view of the car. My view of my Mazda dealer, however had changed considerably. The cold air intake is low enough that it will stall the car out in a foot of water. The first time this happened, I had it towed to my dealer who said I needed a new engine. Not so. The second time it happened I simply remove the water from my intake, then remove the plugs, turn the engine (while jumped until all the water blows out. I'm considering returning to a normal intake, but it rains so little here, it is easy to put off the decision.
Beyond that, I am getting a few squeaks and rattles I haven't been able to track down.

mazda rx8
By renata4u

2007 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I have had a Mazda rx8 2004 which i named Christine since it wanted to kill me. I had to get a Lawyer to have them replace it. Now i have a 2007 rx8 and as the other one right at 26k miles all the emergency lights are on the dashboard and yes it is starting all over again. Jim Click does not stand behind the cars he sells and Mazda does not either unless there are Lawyers involved. Am I getting scared that this car will end up killing me ...yes I am.

Great car.
By Jamesvk

2007 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Sport 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6A)

Well, this is my first car. I bought it about 6 months ago, and couldn't be happier. I did a lot of research about it, and found all these horror stories. But I have yet to have single problem with this car, and I am the second owner. This car gets the looks and the talk, and the performance to match. I will admit, this car is no dragster, thats not how it's designed. But the feeling of attacking every corner with unmatched precision is, just that. unmatched. These stories of flooded engines and bad seal are only if your ignorant. Check the oil, and don't floor it out of the driveway on a icy morning, and it will be fine. If you get this car, get the manual, for it has a 9k RPM red-line. :D

Amazing handling, smoothness of ride, just how the car looks inside and out. Just an unique sports car, that even a kid like me could afford.

More torque in the low end (which isn't how the Rotary engine is designed)and better fuel economy.

RX-8
By cody87hoke

2007 Mazda RX-8 Coupe Grand Touring 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I love my car, I just got it 4 weeks ago after I got out of airborne, and it's awesome. The interior is really sport, the Bose sound system is awesome in it, its pretty quick for such a small motor, for the money you can't beat it.

The rpm, the engine revs so high and just keeps going, its quick, and the interior is awesome in it.

More horsepower, the car is lacking power on take off, its power banes so high you don't get a big shove off the line