Used 2004 Mazda RX-8 Consumer Reviews - 588 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda RX-8

View reviews for a specific RX-8 model:

Best Car I Ever Had!
By Rotaryboi4ever

2004 Mazda RX-8 Automatic 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 4A)

I bought my RX-8 this past July and I really love it! Being a mechanic, I think that the rotary is way more reliable than a piston engine. The gas mileage kinda hurts, but it's worth it to me. Only problem I had with it was the A/C amplifier going bad, but it was an easy fix. Out of all the cars I have owned, this is the best one ever! The 8 is definitely my favorite one to drive, and I always admire other ones I see on the road.

Rotary Engine Hum (Past 4k rpm), Instrument Panel Design, All interior trim, 4 doors, Sweet looking body

Only thing I can really think of is the MPG. I get around 24...could be a little better.

Road Warrior
By James Pulley

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I purchased the 2004 RX-8 I have now in 2006 as a used car. There have been some nitpicky items but overall I am happy with the decision. As a note, just this past weekend I turned 100K on the clock, so this car has seen more than it's share of miles. As to the nitpicky items? I am a tall guy, with both longs legs and long torso, so I get hit on the headroom and on the legroom, particularly with the dead peddle, which I remove for longer road trips - there's an extra five inches of leg room that thing eats up! The laughable part, my SUV with 260K on the clock regularly gets 25-27mpg on the highway. The best I have ever achieved in the RX8? About 23. But heck, it's a sports car!

This engine is smooth! The lightweight, tossable nature of this car makes it a genuine pleasure to drive even in congested traffic.

A lot of my items are related to long distance use of the RX-8. I agree with the hot cupholder area which needs more insulation. I would also suggest that the touring trim level should receive additional sound insulation. Add an optional short dead peddle for us long-legged types.

Awesome car
By RX8=Awesome

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my '04 RX8 in Feb of 2009 with 33k miles on it. It's now almost Nov 2009 with 41k on it. This car has been absolutely amazing (despite gas mileage). The rotary engine is a very high maintenance though, I was told by a Rotary Specialist, to let my car warm up to where it is idling at 1k rpm, and let it idle for 15-30 seconds before shutting it off (of course never shut the car off when its cold), and I have not had one single issue. The handling is great, I got a K&N short ram cold air intake which makes the biggest difference, so much louder then stock, you would be surprised. Got an extended warranty til 2014 (highly recommend that). This car is great if you maintain it properly.

Comfortable, the looks (Exterior and Interior), Smooth ride, handling, heated seats, 4dr coupe.

Gas mileage, some rattling at high rpm, condensation in tail lights (had to re-seal them myself). More power in low rpm.

Never again
By never again

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I, like others, purchased this car because of its sleek look. It started with problems with the engine which the dealership wanted to replace. Unfortunately Mazda, the corporation ,decided it was my fault that the engine was faulty and declined all repairs. Even though, I have had all maintenance repairs(oil change, tune ups, etc) done at the mazda service center ever since I purchased the vehicle. The sad part is that the car is still under warranty and they would not honor the warranty. I even got a call from thier rep. who told me they would not honor the warranty. When asked if he could put this in writing he declined. To anyone who is thinking about buying this car..One word..DON'T.

It actually started without giving me any problems and it never rode hot..but isn't that what a car is supposed to do. I guess you can see where my expectations are for this vehicle. Not very high.

I wish that the Mazda corporation would just honor the warranty that they committed to when they built the vehicle. You know this engine has major flaws yet you choose not to correct them. My only suggestion would be DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!!!

love to hate it
By steven30x

2004 Mazda RX-8 Manual 4dr Coupe (1.3L 2rtr 6M)

I bought my rx-8 in April 09 with 27k. It is now Sept. 09 and i have 34k. I got a great deal on the car and loved the first 2 months i had it. Recently the airbag light came on for 2 weeks and then just shut off. A few days later and a month after an oil change it ran out of oil because the warning light never came on. Now every time i drive it it smells like burning oil, and mazda has no answers to these problems. The brakes squeak horribly and still squeaked after replacement. Heat from the cupholder area is ridiculous,and everything rattles. The stereo for a bose is awful, but the car looks awesome and if u get the clutch perfect in first it will take off pretty fast. Keep it or sell it?

Speed,looks,def handling,the attention,and the sound of the engine at a high rpm.

Better heat insulation, u turn on the a/c and cant feel it because the heat around the cup holder area is way hot, reliability, build quality. hopefully the 2010 is better. But i will never buy another to find out.