Used 2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Hang on tight
By George Nierlich

2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This is one sweet handling car. Suspension is firm for long distance on rough freeways but overall comforts make it doable. Handling is just this side of a motorcycle! Corners and winding roads are playtime! Passengers best hang on tight. Reliability is flawless.

Cruising
By Russ

2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Great covertable for as big as i am. Didn't think i would fit at 265 lbs. Love the automatic hard top. Love the paddle shifters too. In and out of traffic is a breeze. Wish it had a little more power.

A pure sports car for not that much $$
By desmolicious

2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've had my CS w 6 speed manual for about a year now.
It really is a joy to drive - fun, engaging, the steering feel/handling balance is just right.
Sports cars originally were simple, light, rear wheel drive, convertibles.
This is that with the added bonus of being affordable and reliable.
The seats don't seem like they would be comfortable for a long trip, but I was surprised - after a 10 hour drive (with stops) I was just fine.
In comparison my BMW 330i's seats feel much better initially, but wear on me after a few hours.
The trunk is small, but if you buy one of those custom made luggage sets online (mine was about $80), you can fit plenty for a week trip for two.

Size, handling, responsiveness, steering feel, quick revving engine, rorty exhaust note. The folding hard top, while not necessary, adds a sense of security to the vehicle. The sheer joy it makes of driving. All the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Interior is dated and too plasticky. Mediocre fuel economy given it is so small and light weight. Really poor trunk lock design. If you have the top down and lock the car, nothing in the trunk is secure as the trunk release button in the cabin STILL will pop the trunk. Crappy plastic sun visors that hit the rear view mirror if you use them. The 6 speed manual transmission should not be notchy when the car is cold. It takes a while for it to become smooth between 1-2 shifts, then it is great. (my other cars with manual transmissions work great hot or cold)

Mid Life Crisis Car
By shumpie

2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I always wanted a convertible. My Brother had owned a couple of these in the past. Doing research, I found buying used is no bargain, so I bought new. I love this car. Its fast enough, handles like a dream.
The top stays down 90+% of the time, when its raining/ bad weather, I drive other car. Plan on keeping this for long time. This car is small and so am I, so its big enough,
bigger people may have a problem here. The car is very very basic, although I got the convenience package;I recommend this. There are few things that I would like to have on this car, but the good so outnumber the bad...This is the cheapest convertible you can get, insurance is reasonable…
the most smiles per $/mile

convertible, both having and operation bought "sport" cause it has 16" tires, will be cheaper to replace and because there are not as low profile, a better ride handling is awesome fast enough for me I get at least what the EPA # have. got 34 on the road too. they haven't gamed the numbers like some companies have ( and been caught doing) incredible value…. 24K out the door ( pa 6% tax too) 4 months and 2000 miles do not not know reliability, but my bro owed 2 and had no problems, and mine stays in a garage annually milage will be around 5000 miles a year

1)cloth on seat carpets on floor are sup par 2)should be able to roll up window after engine is turned off ( timed like on my civic) window should not be fully up when putting up top. 3)trunk release should only work when key is on, its never secure, with a soft top like mine. 4)the visors are rather useless and so so cheap, really 5)the interior plastics are cheap cheap cheap 6)no spare tire( don't know how you get around this one) # 2 and 3 would cost min $$ getting seat covers next year visor need a total redue…..useless Bluetooth only in a big$$ option on top level car, pushing it to 30K…. really

2500 miles in....what a great car
By geoffb1

2013 Mazda MX-5 Miata Club 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I've been thinking at some point I am going to come to my senses and realize I've made a huge mistake buying a tiny 2 seat convertible. But then I find myself taking the long way home (again) so I can carve a few more turns with the fall foliage flashing by and the top down. And everything is right with the world. This car actually puts a smile on my face.
It is an honest car that does what it is supposed to do. If your idea of a great car is one that does everything possible to insulate you from the job of driving walk away now. But if you truly enjoy feeling connected to the road and the machine....give one of these a test drive. On a sunny day. With the top down.
Update - October 2016 - not a single thing has gone wrong with this car. Oil changes, filters, rotate the tires, drive. Everything still tight and rattle free. Added a Bluetooth adapter to pipe phone into audio system. Still a blast to drive. I'm going to keep this one a long time.