Used 2003 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews - 211 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Mazda MPV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MPV model:

I like my MPV
By Mark Teele

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this new in 2003 and it has been a good investment. I've had to replace the radiator, two coils and that's about it. I really researched this purchase and knew exactly what I wanted. At the time, dual sliding doors was unique. The 5 star safety rating was nice too. I've got to say that the body styling is still timely and doesn't look dated in the least. I got the white and coupled with the fact that I always keep my vehicles looking their best, she still instills pride of ownership everytime I approach. I did find a little rust on the sealing seam of the right sliding door but a light sanding followed with a dab of white POR 15 and problem solved. I do shoot WD40 or something similar with the red straw up into the door drain holes. After the initial engine breaking, I've only run full synthetic oil changed every 10,000 miles. The AC has always been very reliable in fact, I've never driven the van without it on. There's an AC vent right where I usually have my right hand on the steering wheel. I soon found out that it would turn my hand numb from the cold. I almost think you could preform surgery on my hand without nova cane. I am tempted by all the great safety features new vehicles have, hybrid looks way cool too but let's face it, Old Nelly Belle is paid for and barring any unforeseen component failure, I'm going to drive her forever.

Want to Buy Mazda, Read and Think Again
By Allen

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My MPV is yr 2003 with 109xx miles. As of today 2-27-2018, it broke down on the road and we decide to quit it. I would like to list everything I suffered through with the car so help you consider, if you still dare... 1. Bad Transmission/Performance. 2. Spark Plugs replaced 3 times/design issue. 3. 2 out of 4 windows had electronic control issues 4. replaced 4 sensors to remove the engine light, ouch. 5. noise from under the hood-spent 2 grands and problem kept hitting.. 6. Interior mirrors all popped and dropping. 7. driver side window can't roll back on. 8. Slide door press/lock failed in remote control. 9. oil leak 10. engine oil draining bolt had worn thread causing leak.

Rust bucket
By steve

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our 2003 started rusting around the wheel rims and door edges a couple of years ago. The mechanic now warns us that the frame has rusted beyond repair. He said the rust was pretty typical to this car, and I have notice other MPV 3's have the exact same issue.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By Jay

2003 Mazda MPV LX-SV 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it new in Jan 03. 13 years later and 190,000 miles it's still running great. The only issues I've had was the ignition coils going other than that normal wear and tear that should be addressed. My coworker has the exact same model and has 289,000 on his.

Great minivan, would buy another in a heart beat
By Dan

2003 Mazda MPV LX 4dr Minivan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new in 2003. Had to replace the #2 coil three times but the part is cheap if you buy it online. Also replaced the alternator about 4yrs ago. Rides and handles like a car and has NEVER left me stranded or failed to start up. Starting to make creaking noises and one of the electric doors wasn't closing so when the cable broke recently for the door it became in operable but that's ok. AC still spits ice. Traded the MPV in after 14yrs and 216.000 miles. Still running fine though the front end needed work.