Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

CX-5 -- 2 Full Brake Repairs in less than 20,000!
By NeverAgainMazda

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I hate my CX-5. Bought it new. Had to replace the rear brakes at 14,000 miles on an emergency basis at the nearest shop (not Mazda service center, which was not available). Mazda won't accept the common sense conclusion: design flaw. Several months later, same problem: horrible grinding, excessive rust, etc. At 17,000 miles, I have to replace the brakes and rotors on both axles. The second time I was able to take it to Mazda. It's taken them four days to even get back to me with a solution after holding my car that whole time and they want me to pay for the brake pads for both axles -- $200+. They do everything they can to blame the customer and not take responsibility for an obvious design flaw (i.e., my car's history of vastly premature brake issues, as well as those documented online and the Technical Service Bulletins issued by Mazda). Of course, I'm crazy for believing any of the multiple complaints online about the exact same issue for the same year, make and model and Mazda issues TSBs rather than recalls to avoid fixing their design issue. "We see it about 1% of the time so it's not an issue." Yes, yet it is! To me!!! Mazda is awful. I hate even looking at it in the garage. Never again.

Fun To Drive!
By Paul Weeks

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My CX-5 has been very reliable and it's a fun car to drive. It feels more like driving a smaller, more nimble vehicle than an SUV. I got a great deal on mine ($17,800 with 23,000 miles on it in October, 2016- Grand Touring Model) so from a value standpoint I couldn't be happier!

Fun to Drive, But Not as Reliable As I Had Hoped
By historybuff13

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have to admit that I really do enjoy driving this car and it has been mostly reliable. Just recently had an ignition coil go bad after 4 1/2 years. As far as I can tell from research, this is not a common problem for CX-5. Mileage is as good as I expected. I'm quite happy with the 2.0 liter engine. I'm not sure why some people don't like it. I did test drive the 2.5 liter version and didn't notice enough difference to justify the extra cost. I was happy enough with this car to go out and purchase a 2nd car (CX-3) which is even more fun to drive, but a little less practical in terms of cargo space. I'm hoping the ignition coil is not a sign of things to come for the next couple of years. I'm hoping to keep it a couple more years to trade in against a 2019 Mazda, Subaru, or Toyota. AWD is great in snow.

After 5 1/2 years car is still running well. No additional problems. Great mileage.

Mazda CX-5 is worth a look
By Dean

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I took the AWD utility of our Ford Explorer and the sportyness of my Mazda 3 and combined these 2 styles into my purchase of a new 2013 Mazda CX-5. The CX-5 hasn't disappointed in having these combined characteristics. It's both a capable SUV in bad weather and fun to drive. It is well equipped for this class. On board computer consistently record 32 MPG combines gas mileage.

One of the best small SUV's on the market
By Eric Willemstein

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

AWD is the way to go with this car. Snow mud and rain were no problem. The only drawback is the 2.0 engine. Don't try to pull out in traffic from a stop without a fair amount of space. Great ride and quiet on the highway, handles very well in city and highway driving. You feel like you are riding in a much larger car. I averaged 33mpg combined highway and city driving.