Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Great drivers suv.
By David B

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-5 handles extremely well for a SUV a pleasure to drive.

Great car, great value, a top choice for small SUV
By Larry J

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've watched and read on these SUVs for several years. The racked up lots of wins in comparison test in car magazines that I read. A real driver's car for an suv they said. When we were in the market, I was happily surprised to see their reliability record right up there with Honda and Toyota but at a more affordable price. It is also a Consumer Reports recommended used car. We love it. Only small gripe is the now out of date GPS and out of date tech. I wish these systems were more updateable as phones change. But, a nice aftermarket deck with CarPlay and Android Auto will take car of this.

CX-5 -- 2 Full Brake Repairs in less than 20,000!
By NeverAgainMazda

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I hate my CX-5. Bought it new. Had to replace the rear brakes at 14,000 miles on an emergency basis at the nearest shop (not Mazda service center, which was not available). Mazda won't accept the common sense conclusion: design flaw. Several months later, same problem: horrible grinding, excessive rust, etc. At 17,000 miles, I have to replace the brakes and rotors on both axles. The second time I was able to take it to Mazda. It's taken them four days to even get back to me with a solution after holding my car that whole time and they want me to pay for the brake pads for both axles -- $200+. They do everything they can to blame the customer and not take responsibility for an obvious design flaw (i.e., my car's history of vastly premature brake issues, as well as those documented online and the Technical Service Bulletins issued by Mazda). Of course, I'm crazy for believing any of the multiple complaints online about the exact same issue for the same year, make and model and Mazda issues TSBs rather than recalls to avoid fixing their design issue. "We see it about 1% of the time so it's not an issue." Yes, yet it is! To me!!! Mazda is awful. I hate even looking at it in the garage. Never again.

Fun To Drive!
By Paul Weeks

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My CX-5 has been very reliable and it's a fun car to drive. It feels more like driving a smaller, more nimble vehicle than an SUV. I got a great deal on mine ($17,800 with 23,000 miles on it in October, 2016- Grand Touring Model) so from a value standpoint I couldn't be happier!

Fun to Drive, But Not as Reliable As I Had Hoped
By historybuff13

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have to admit that I really do enjoy driving this car and it has been mostly reliable. Just recently had an ignition coil go bad after 4 1/2 years. As far as I can tell from research, this is not a common problem for CX-5. Mileage is as good as I expected. I'm quite happy with the 2.0 liter engine. I'm not sure why some people don't like it. I did test drive the 2.5 liter version and didn't notice enough difference to justify the extra cost. I was happy enough with this car to go out and purchase a 2nd car (CX-3) which is even more fun to drive, but a little less practical in terms of cargo space. I'm hoping the ignition coil is not a sign of things to come for the next couple of years. I'm hoping to keep it a couple more years to trade in against a 2019 Mazda, Subaru, or Toyota. AWD is great in snow.

After 5 1/2 years car is still running well. No additional problems. Great mileage.