Used 2005 Lincoln Aviator SUV Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Aviator for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Who don't love my Aviator

justoma, 06/07/2013

I love love love my Aviator! It's the 2005, when I bought it in 2005 I knew the gas mileage was crap, but found the truck solid and full of power. I had the Grand Cherokee which was great too but the Aviator smoked it as far as performance. I have 75,000 miles on it. I do my oil changes every 3-4000 miles. I put tires on it in 2009 and I just put them on again..I never had them rotated and I failed on checking the pressure so they didn't get the wear they should of. I just got new ball joints as they were shot. That is all I've had to put it in it. It's never been to the shop for anything but oil changes and the ball joint issue. Rear door panal cracked too.

Great All Around SUV

Chuck, 03/15/2010

We could not be happier with our Aviator. We are the original owners and have had little trouble since our purchase. I wanted a luxury AWD SUV to last us 8-10 years. Well we are half way there and still love it. The fuel mileage is pitiful but we were aware of that at time of purchase. That's what you get when you put a Mustang engine in a heavy SUV. Duh? The AWD and Traction Control are excellent. I feel that my wife is safe in a heavy, well built American SUV. The comfort and ride is totally "Lincoln." The THX sound system is fantastic too. I just put new tires and brakes on. Also updated the Navigation DVD and purchased the extended warranty through Ford. We're keeping it!

Awesome SUV! I love this car!

jd1017, 04/26/2007

I've read a lot of the comments concerning the 2003 AWD Aviator and feel very fortunate. I haven't experienced anything but pleasure from this SUV, the power and comfort is second to none. I'm in sales and stop start this car ten plus times a day, no troubles. The rear hatch surrounding the glass did split, fiberglass fracture is what the dealship referred to it as. They replaced it, out of warranty, free of charge. So far with over 50,000 miles on the vehicle I really can't complain about anything! I still think this is the best bang for the buck!

Last Car

Ricverde, 12/15/2004

I'm getting on in years so this will probably be my last car purchased. I absolutely love the vehicle! The ride is smooth, visibility great, and handling precise. The gas mileage isn't too hot, but I knew it wouldn't be before I bought the Aviator. The black beauty has drawn admiring looks and positive comments from passers-by in parking lots, which sure helps me feel good about spending the money for a vehicle I probably really didn't need.

It Could be Better

Dave, 10/28/2005

I've put 14,000 miles on my Aviator and it has run well except for a few problems. The steering shudders badly while making left turns at low speeds on level ground. Dealer says pretty much "they'll do that". Says its caused by power steering sucking air while turning on incline. Been to the shop twice and it improved the first time for a month, then came back. DVD player ate DVD within first 3 months. Parts had to be back ordered. They never have a Lincoln for you to use when your is in the shop. I did get 19.5 mpg on a 1300 mile trip averaging 75 MPH.

One of the Best

Geroge G, 10/29/2004

Great to Drive. Powerful, responsive.

LUV this SUV!

April, 11/15/2005

I own the 2003 Aviator, and am quite satisfied with it. The one drawback, as anyone may guess, is the fuel economy. This vehicle is fun to drive, is very comfortable, and attracts a lot of attention as the "baby Navigator". Dealer service is great, as the 2003 model came with an excellent warranty package. One of my favorite features of this vehicle is the steering wheel- mounted controls for the audio system, A/C, etc. I also like the second-row captain's chairs with the roomy console. The Aviator has a generous cargo capacity with the third-row seats folded flat into the floor. The V8 engine is very powerful, which a former 4-cylinder driver like myself has to ge accustomed to.

This is luxury???

Mandi Rinard, 01/28/2006

This car has been a lot of trouble. Every time I start to like it again something else breaks. We have had problems with the windows rolling down half the time they don't work; neither does the radio or the keyless entry. We have had the gear shift replaced. The car is very noisy on the road. Seatbelt housing makes a lot of noise and back window squeaks all the time!!! The blower fan on the AC had to be replaced and the heated and AC seats quit working. The panel on the rear window cracked too. For the most part I would like to run this car into a wall most of the time.

Absolutely wonderful!

Scott, 09/26/2008

I have only had the car for a few days now, but I am sorry that I didn't purchase it sooner. I already had an SUV and wanted to get something newer with less mileage. I can honestly say that I think I made the perfect choice. It is extremely comfortable, the V8 has more power than a lot of sports cars and SUVs, and to beat all, you can't beat the value!!! I echo the sentiments of another reviewer - it should have never been taken off the market. My suggestion: if you are looking for an SUV for comfort, reliability, and ultimate luxury, look no further than the Lincoln Aviator!

Nice vehicle

VJM, 07/23/2010

I replaced my Lexus with an Aviator 3 years ago. It only had 10K miles on it. Besides general mte. have replaced rear brakes and tires. Rear window panel cracked 2 yrs ago and was replaced under warranty. Has now cracked again (not under warranty). Dealership told me that Lincoln was aware of this problem but was not helping with replacement anymore. Was told yesterday (at 56K miles) that water pump was leaking. My husband likes this vehicle better than I do. But I drive it 95% of this time. I consistently get 17 mpg on a combo of city/highway driving. When my husband drives it the mpg goes down because he has a lead foot and loves "floor it" after a stop.

05 Aviator

jack, 07/13/2005

This truck has exceptional power and torque for an SUV. It's very comfortable, with ride, steering and handling that is much improved over the Explorer. It steering feel is light, and not truck-like, but more like the Jaguar X-Type we previously owned. The vehicle has a strong down-the-road presense, especially from front 3/4 views.

An expensive pinto

hatethiscar1, 07/02/2010

The Lincoln aviator is the worst car ever built. They are dangerous and fall apart after 60,000 miles. Ford is aware of this but is ignoring all complaints and blaming tire tread wear as the cause of all electrical and mechanical problems. Never buy any aviator of any year.

Lincoln

hass, 03/17/2005

High quality of materials and great ride. Plenty of power when needed. Great hwy SUV. Love the interior design and air condition seats.

There's good and bad

Diane, 08/16/2005

We were on a major highway during a surprise white-out snowstorm. Cars in front and behind us spun sideways. Only way to go was down into ravine between east and west lanes to avoid accident. My husband steered the Aviator down into ravine and after 100 feet we rode out and back up onto the highway, NEVER sliding or spinning out of control. This car has saved our family. The handling in all types of weather has been wonderful. Cons: Very restricted seating-leg room, etc; poor gas mileage; cheap interior materials: leather poor quality, fake wood. Have owned many expensive vehicles, can't understand why Lincoln skimped on these. Front seat backs need to be powered. Heating vent burns legs

Sunroof Leak in new Aviator

John Stevens, 10/12/2005

within the first week of ownership, our brand new 2005 Lincoln Aviator has a water leak from the sunroof which is dripping down through the overhead driver light switch. The dealer had the car overnight and didn't fix the problem. Ford technical support stated some Mountaineers and Aviators are having the same problem. This is a $50,000 luxury vehicle. No wonder the Aviator is in its last year of the current design and will emerge in the fall of 2006 as a downsized model. What do we do in the meantime? Our Aviator only has 282 miles on it and it's going back to the shop for the same problem.

A/C Compressor

David Craik, 08/20/2005

"Grinding noise" when A/C turned on (hot or cold) FOMOCO states this is normal. NO FIX DESIGN FAULT aka DEFECTIVE. FOMOCO says it's happening on all Explorer size vehicles. Not true, don't believe it! Only occurs on '03 & '04 Lincoln Aviator units. Considering Class Action Suite

Love my aviator!

Matia, 03/27/2019
Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this car for over 10 years. it's been such a great vehicle for me. I've used it while living in Massachusetts and now in California. It hasn't steered me wrong. Highly reliable and low maintenance costs!

Its aite

samiyasmom, 11/05/2009

I have had my Aviator for a year and a half now and back in january I started having problems with it. Sometimes it would start when you got in it and every time i would take it to the lincoln dealership they would keep saying they could do nothing because when i would get it to the dealership it would start up so i got tired of it maybe starting and sometimes not starting that i ended up getting it towed back to the dealership because one day i got in it and it wouldn't start so i ended up buying a new starter and that ended up not even being the problem it was something else so i was frustrated with that.

Aviator...Worst Car Ever Built

hatethiscar1, 07/19/2010

This is the worst car ever built! Ford used cheap Korean bearings that disintegrate as soon as your car goes out of warranty. Amazing at how well Ford could time this. Nothing but a mechanical, electrical nightmare that has almost killed my family twice. Ford should do the right thing and recall all aviators.

A Headache So Far

Rudy C., 05/16/2009

I am financing my 2005 Lincoln Aviator and have had it since August 2008 and I have to say that I am experiencing a major problem with my power windows not working (they are now rolled down), the stereo doesn't work, and my AC lights do not work either. I have checked all the fuses both underneathe the dash on under the hood and all checks good, but still I am unable to close my windows or use my radio. This is a very luxury and beautiful vehicle, but I hate the fact that no one seems to know what has caused this problem. Please help!

Don't Buy

gennipher, 11/07/2005

I have had this vehicle in the shop for a total of 25 days- out of the 3 months I have owned it- It has had the drive shaft repalced, return hose to the power steering replaced, multipe balanacing of the tires, road forced, shimmiy/shaking poor brakes (going to the floor) and the steering wheel turns to the left when braking normally anout 1/2 inch to an inch everytime... it has a shuttering noise when you turn the wheel and when you first satart it- it has a total of 2000 miles on it- I filed arbitration paperwork and the Lincoln rep advised me that the vehicle "ran pretty good" did not think there was any thing else- dealership advised it still needed new tires and lincoln rep said no

Awesome Vehicle

Rose, 01/09/2006

I am extremely pleased with this vehicle. I wanted to buy an American luxury SUV vehicle and this fit the bill. Am as excited to see the 2007 release.

okay

cee dee, 12/29/2004

this suv is just okay. i would not purchase it again. the air conditioner is too loud and drowns out the music. the locks in the rears seats are too far back for the pass to open it comfortably. i drive the city alot and the gas mileage is the worst. the newest problem is the radio waits about 30 sec to come on when i start the veh. i am not thrilled with this vehicle

Great to drive

Richard, 08/15/2008

Fun to drive & don't take up my whole garage. Most of my driving is turnpike avg 17.5 mpg. Not bad for the Navigator look without the bite at the pump.

new SUV

moms SUV, 01/29/2005

handles well in wet and slushy conditions, plenty of power, comfortable seating and good heat circulation to the rear of the vehicle.

Too many problems

Lolaj42, 03/25/2005

Our Ultimate AWD Aviator has been in the shop every month since we've owned it, mostly due to overall quality (or lack thereof). The most recent being a steering wheel vibration/pulsation that occurs when turning the wheel to full lock when parking. We've been given a host of excuses over the 3 service visits on this issue, the latest being that it's a "design feature" and we have to live with it. To date, we've had the transmission control module replaced, since the one it was originally shipped with was for the Ford Explorer and as a result, we were unable to put our AWD system into a full-time locked mode until it got replaced. Entire NAV system replaced. Too much trouble. Never again

In the shop again

ctaylor, 04/12/2005

I bought my aviator less than a year ago and have had to take it in for repairs several times. The rear end went out at 1000 miles and it took a month to fix. Dealer said they are having problems with this on alot of others too. Then it was the transmission, stereo, and brakes. Good thing it has a great warranty. It is a nice car otherwise, but I would enjoy it alot more if it were more dependable.

Baby Nav, but better....

J. Davis, 04/13/2005

My wife LOVES this vehicle. I really like it as well. Power to spare, kicks down when you really need it. Almost as much seating room as our friends Navigator, but handles and drives much smaller than the Nav. We went shopping for a Mercury Mountaineer, but there is night-and- day difference between the Mercury and the Aviator, and not that much difference in the cost.

Great Vehicle!

Megan, 04/14/2005

I have enjoyed my Aviator. It has taken my family on many trips and I havn't had any problems. My only complaint is a rattling window that the dealership won't fix because it has been over a year. Overall though, it has been a great vehicle and I love the all wheel drive!

Great car

Frank, 05/12/2005

I have owned 2 limited Explorer's and thought this car would ride the same. Was I wrong. This rides better than My Lincoln Continental that I had. I test drove the new 2006 Benz Ml-350 and BMW X5. I found that The Aviator gave me a better more quite and comfortable ride with alot more room and many more toys that the others cars did not offer. The Elite Package is the way to go with this car, You will love the Navagation and DVD as well as the 300 watt Voice command Stereo and AC/heated seats. Gas wise it stinks but it will save you on insurance, besides if you can afford this car, gas should not be a concern. The ride is like a Luxury car should be. Test drive it and you will agree.

Aviator

Susu, 05/14/2005

We are a growing family and this vehicle has the room and options we were looking for in a SUV.

Simply the best!

Alison's SUV, 06/15/2005

We have had either family vans or SUV's for years, and our Aviator is the best overall car we've ever had. It has great power, is extremely comfortable in town or on a trip, and is fun to drive. Additionally, the dealer took great pains to be sure we knew how to use everything on it before turning us loose!

New Owner

K Hanna, 07/09/2005

I am a recent new owner of a Lincoln Aviator. After owning 1 Explorer, 2 Broncos and 1 Windstar, I am, again, completely enjoying ownership of a Ford - Lincoln product. The Aviator is sporty and rich looking, both inside and out. It has all the "bells and whistles", most of which are standard features. The Aviator has a powerful V8 and is very smooth when stepping on the accelerator. It definitely stands out among other vehicles and I have received many comments and compliments on my recent purchase. I am most completely satisfied with this vehicle.

Lots of miles best SUV yet!

EbaJ, 10/08/2005

Bought this to replace an Explorer - my fourth- and there is no comparison....no front end issues original tires went 67,000 miles, brakes went 76,000 miles no warranty work, just regular maintenance. Beats the Explorer hands down. Ready to trade in Feb but they are changing it so where do I go now?

2003 aviator - 48000 miles. Nice SUV

msh, 10/26/2005

2003 Aviator owned for 2 years. Have 48,000 miles. Minimal problems (broken light wire problem prevented shifting out of park). Otherwise, a very reliable vehilce. Fun to drive, lots of power and acceleration, Plush interior, but the console plastic/finish should be higher quality. Mine is loaded with Navigation, DVD, etc. For the small amount of warranty work performed the dealer has been very helpful.

1st SUV

Robert, 11/19/2005

The Lincoln Aviator is the first SUV that I've owned. I am generally pleased with it, except that it gets terrible gas mileage. The interior is a little cramped when fully loaded with 7 passengers but it is much better than a traditional car. I bought it used with 20,000 miles on it and have had no problems except for the brakes. I may not keep it as long as I expected but that remains to be seen. By the way, the gas mileage improves significantly on the highway.

This is the ultimate driving machine

Scott , 01/08/2006

You may have higher engine noise slightly but you expect that when all its competitors have v6 and you're driving a 300 horsepower v8 that's what you get with power. It is a true shame that this SUV is coming of the market it is a one of a kind SUV

Perfect fit

BobSR, 11/13/2004

Perfect luxary SUV. Did not want a tank, but wanted the amenities. Strong power train, great interior, and you feel safe.

One of the Best

Howard Golden, 11/13/2004

A great vehicle to drive under all conditions.

Excellent

el alami, 11/16/2004

I am enjoying my Aviator with it's excellent road handling and smooth ride and performance, I previously owned two Jeep Grand Cherokee and have numerous problems and expensive repairs. If you are looking for an SUV with performance and comfort and you do not mind the extra bucks for a thirsty engine. Then this is the SUV for you.

Excellent Value

chris rodriquez, 11/12/2004

I have had nothing but good experience with my Aviator. For an SUV it handles like a sports car around curves, feels solid and planted to the road. Smooth on most road surfaces with little wind or engine noise. The interior design is one of the best for SUV's. Like all the safety features it provides like the rear park assist, the turn signal mirrors with reverse tilt, darn good brakes with ABS, electronic brake force distribution with brake assist.

Aviator Review

SD MAN, 11/12/2004

Outside mirrors tend to shake at higher speeds

Best i ever drove

babetty, 11/28/2004

handles great, great ride, powerful and comfortable.

Aviator experience

Sandra, 12/19/2004

I absolutely love my Aviator, I can not express how happy I am with my vehicle. I am 22 years old and I am a college student, I am always running errands and I have lots to carry and everything fits. Overall it's a great vehicle.

Aviator #1

johny0909, 12/24/2004

I bought the aviator a couple of weeks ago for my wife. The fit and finish is fantastic. Power and handeling are great. It was my wife's choice, it was a good one. I drive it every when she is not! Delivery was outstanding. Lincoln has made some excellent improvements.

Lincoln Aviator

mark, 01/03/2005

great handling in the snow. I am a former owner of a suzuki grand vitara which spun like a top everytime I encountered a patch of ice. Outstanding handling in all terrain. Optional DVD package with wireless headset keeps my teenage children occupied during the ride to/from school. Third row seat is roomy and comfortable, unlike many other vehicle's third row seats in this class

Jeff Aviator

Jeff, 01/06/2005

Extremely smooth riding, comfortable for long trips, very good acceleration. Poor city mileage,aversge highway mileage

Partridge

Donal Partridge, 01/16/2005

It's a great car. No problems since I bought it. In my opinion, the best part about this car is its performance. Excellent handling, and it's very fast for an SUV. Interior is identical to the new Navigator models, but much smaller.

heater problems

joel, 02/04/2005

In very cold weather the side window defroster malfunctions. It sends a stream of cold air. Lincoln is familiar with problem and is not willing to fix. As a result of problem front seat riders have a constant stream of cold air in their face! This is an obvious defect that may be a problem in other Lincoln products.

A great car can be improved.

G. Plummer, 02/06/2005

Engine larger, and noiser, than necessary; RPM too high for moderate accelleration--a gas guzzler--Explorer better. Windows will not descend at 32-deg. or less. An A-trip & B-trip odometer would help. No gallons-used calculator. Info-center too obscure. Seats 1 1/2 inches too high(thick)--headbumps on entry. Rear seats don't fold flat. Manual puts too much emphasis on entertainment, rather than operating features up front. Manual not easy to use. Electrical schematic, simple, wouldhelp.

51050