Used 2004 Lexus SC 430 Consumer Reviews - 167 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Lexus SC 430 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (167 reviews )

My baby blue bullet
By Magali

2004 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Safe. Classic. It's feels like an airplane cockpit.

Good older car
By craig

2004 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

You may pay what is a slightly higher price, but the car runs and runs and runs!

Best car I have ever owned
By carol elliott

2004 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Fun to drive. Lexus service outstandibg

Worth it - if you only watch the top go down!
By Jay

2004 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The acceleration is incredible! Watching the top go down is almost as good as sex (almost)!!

Even with it being an 11 year old car - the interior is luxurious - black leather with the burled dark walnut is elegant. The exterior is beautiful (not as striking as my 1999 SC400 - but excellent). Everything work like it did the day it rolled off the showroom floor.

The only downside is that it isn't exactly top down weather - so I'm impatiently waiting for the weather to turn.

Of course - the only drawback is the lack of up-to-date electronics. Can't download my contacts from my phone. It handles "1-touch" dialing - but you have to manually enter your top 10 phone numbers, but the Bluetooth still works well with the phone. The navigation system is okay, but needs updating (need to go on-line and find an upgrade DVD. I updated it with a wireless back-up camera - tough to see behind you without it. I get about 22 mpg and it only had 83000 miles on it when I bought it!

UPDATE - July 2018

I now have 119,000 miles on the car and it is still as good as the day I bought it. One small item...I developed a small drain on the battery that I can't trace down. I installed a device that disconnects the battery when the voltage falls below 12V. When you step on the brakes, it reconnects that battery and starts the car. The alternator then recharges the battery. If I drive it every day, it is fine, but I only drive it about once a week and that's when the battery saver device kicks in and starts the car - a real life saver. I was also able to find an up-to-date Navigation DVD to update the onboard navigation system. This car is best when you're able to drop the top and take if for a run on a windy country road. The car still turns heads when you are in a parking lot and drop the top - I still find myself asking my wife to sit in the driver's seat so I can watch the top go up and down. I installed a Sirius-XM radio and can now cruise with my favorite tunes. Still love this 14 year old car!!!!

Rusting SC430
By Malfarook

2004 Lexus SC 430 2dr Convertible (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my dream car in 2003,a brand new 2004 SC430. Among other disappointments, I have rust problem. The alloy wheel is rusting out. The body also have many bubbles, under is rust. It is so disappointing. I did not expect it from a Lexus.

Love the hard top.