2018 Kia Stinger Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Kia Stinger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stinger model:

I replaced my GTI with a Stinger...and no regrets!
By Gordon A.

2018 Kia Stinger GT1 4dr Sedan AWD (3.3L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I had a perfectly fine 2016 GTI but test drove the Stinger because I loved the styling, and fell in lust with it's driving dynamics as well. It took me 3 months to pull the trigger and purchase, and with the VW falling out of warranty, the timing was right (life has taught me to always ditch the Euro brands I've purchased over the years(VW, Audi, and BMW) right when the warranty ends, because they then become money pits with the repair costs). I was leery about getting a larger car (I'm a single guy with no real need for all the room) but the Stinger drives so well that you don't notice its size. I got the GT1 with AWD (a must here in Colorado) and the power and handling is phenomenal. I just broke it in with a Cannonball run from Denver to Santa Fe and back. On the way down, I had clear skies and dry pavement and it proved to be an excellent cruiser. I was concerned about it being a gas guzzler (and it IS driving around town), so I left the car in Eco mode and achieved 28 avg mpg, which was good even with all of the elevation changes. On my way back to Denver I spent most of the drive in sub-freezing temps and wet/icy/snowy roads. No issues whatsoever, it was a stable Mable haha. The heated seats and steering wheel were perfect, and the AWD had me feeling truly confident. I never truly though of myself as a brand snob, and drove German cars because of their driving dynamics and style. But alas, I was tired of paying for that German goodness by way of expensive repair bills once they all were over 40,000 miles (like clockwork). This Kia combines that German feel, far more exciting style, content, and best of all, reliability, at a fraction of the price. Plus the dealerships are GIVING these things away to move them. Here in Denver I've only seen two, so you also get an air of exclusivity until the masses get hip to this amazing car. Again, overall, no buyer's remorse-the power, the styling. The styling (again haha), the features-the driver's assist tech all works grand, and the Harmon Kardon stereo sounds truly awesome-The Eagles and Fela Kuti never sounded so good! Please don't let badge snobbery keep you from test driving (and buying) this car.

No regrets
By A C

2018 Kia Stinger GT2 4dr Sedan AWD (3.3L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Unbelievable value, very fast, extremely sharp, and no regrets.

Mesmerizing
By Steven j Weil

2018 Kia Stinger Premium 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 8A)

There are only a few cars that are close in appearance! This car looks like it was designed from a Tesla, Maserati Ghibli, and Jaguar! The only cars that compare are the Infiniti Q60 especially the Sedan, the BMW 4 series, Audi A5, or the Lexus IS300 or RC 350. If your hung up on status names go throw the extra $10K to 20K down the drain! This is a quality Sports Sedan. There is plenty of cargo space enough to take home my new lawn mower! The interior is spacious. so far the only criticism is the driver seat is a little stiff and older drivers more than 60 might have to get used to. That might be all in my head!! if I did it again i look more closely at the base model which can be leased around $400 per month!! I saw the review by a so called expert and he said that because its a KIA it will wont be popular!! So far in two months i have only seen 2 Stingers!! You see loads of Maximas, Honda Accord Sports Q60 coupes but you feel kind of special with this car. I say this car is an incredible value and you will save $10,000 for a comparable vehicle!

Stinger GT2 AWD on the first road trip
By Chris

2018 Kia Stinger GT2 4dr Sedan AWD (3.3L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I will start by saying I have been with MOPAR (Chrysler / Dodge / Ram) for the last 15 years. I was extremely reluctant to test drive or even look at another brand. I started by reading everything I could get my hands on and watching as many reviews as I could find about or on the Kia Stinger. I knew about the paint / coil and rattle issues prior to test driving. The Folks at Ancira Kia were ok but the Sales guy Andrew knew his brand and answered every question I had, he is by far one of the best Sales guys I have worked with. I am 6'4" and 225 and was a little worried if I would fit comfortably so we test drove the GT2 AWD and I was sold. That easy. Plenty of leg room and easily adjustable seats / wheel set up. This car continues to make me smile and drives exactly how I want it too. I just finished an 11 hr road trip from San Antonio to Wichita Falls and back. Going up I averaged 29mpg on eco mode and coming back I averaged 25 on comfort. Zero issues with the little bit of rain we ran into and zero issues with on ramps or passing traffic. I am used to the cushy ride of my Ram 1500 and this car did not disappoint with the ride. Yes it rides a little rough over some of the larger bumps, and yes I did get a lot of road noise on portions of highway 281 but it is a sports sedan so I expected some of that (no difference from my challenger or charger I have owned in the past). I have back injuries from several years ago and the lumbar support was great. Its been a long time since I have been able to get out of a vehicle after a road trip and not have my body feel beat up. I can say I was really looking to find something wrong with the Kia, I cant. I did not want it to be this good, it is. I thought for sure I would be turning it in and heading back to dodge for another scat pack, nope. I am sold. And as a fun fact I ran my stinger on San Antonio raceway (1/4 mile) and ran a 13.4, not bad, now this is not a mustang beater and by no means will it be near as fast as my scat pack, but it really is an everyday car that I can really get into a lot of trouble with. GO TEST DRIVE THIS CAR! You wont be disappointed.

Impressive first sports sedan for Kia
By Rob Weaver

2018 Kia Stinger GT2 4dr Sedan AWD (3.3L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Ever since this car was revealed, my interest was piqued. I previously had a WRX, and wanted a car that had a better interior, features, and more space, without sacrificing much performance and the fun to drive factor. The Stringer GT2 looks like it fit the bill. Pros - The best feature of this car is what you get for your money. The MSRP is $10-15k less than comparable Audi's and BMWs and currently the dealers seem to be giving pretty decent discounts (I got $8500 off the MSRP). The engine makes this 4000 lbs car a true rocket. It is fast off the line, but the most surprising power is when you are moving at 30-40 MPH and you put your foot down. You quickly will be rocketing toward "arrest me" speeds. The gearbox is responsive and shifts quickly. The suite of driving features leaves little want for more, especially at this price point. The interior is nicely put together with actual button controls, which is a large plus for me. The seats are very adjustable, comfortable, and low (once again, that is a plus for me). I mostly use Android Auto, and that integration is done well. The sound system is very good for a stock system. For the exterior, I find the car to be one of the most handsome on the road. It is long, low, and wide, with an aggressive appearance without being, for a lack of a better term, "Type R"ish. The lines flow to a wonderful hatch shape. The 5 year standard/10 year powertrain warranty reassures me a lot since this is a new design. Cons - Gas mileage is pretty disappointing, but somewhat expected for the weight and power of the engine. I average about 18 MPG mostly commuting to work in the inner suburbs while trying not to drive too much like a goon. No manual transmission is available for those of us who enjoy rowing our own gears. The adjustable suspension can get a little floaty around corners, even in sport mode. I wish they built in a sport+ mode that firmed up the sport mode a little more. The leather seats are prone to getting depressions if you rest something heavy on them (like seat belt imprints if you fold down the rear seats). The exterior has a few silly non-functional fake vents. I worry a bit about the resale value of the car, but I plan on keeping it for awhile to take advantage of the warranty. Conclusion - Kia built themselves a really good value GT car that has most of the features and driving experience of the more expensive luxury brands at a much lower price point. You could get roughly the same features or a more powerful engine at the same price of the Stinger from an Audi 5 series Sportback or a BMW 4 series Granturismo, but you would spend a lot more if you wanted both. If you are not a badge snob, this car should be on your short list if you wanted a powerful GT car with a lot of space and good features.