2018 Kia Niro Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Kia Niro Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Niro model:

Fiddling with the Niro
By Lisa

2018 Kia Niro EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Love the blind spot monitor and rear traffic alerts.

Impressed by KIA Yet Again
By Justin

2018 Kia Niro EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

Before getting the Niro, we purchased the KIA Soul in 2014. By far, the KIA Soul was worth the price and extremely reliable (140,000 miles and no problems). This made us decide to purchase our next vehicle from KIA. Yet again, we were not disappointed. The value this car has it truly phenomenal, most cars/suvs with this level of features range in the high 35,000's. The MPG is exceptional too; we've been getting 50 mpg which I believe is quite astonishing. For room, it is basically the same size as the KIA Soul. That being said, at 6'4 person like me will be able to fit in the front & back. The one thing I'd say is a negative is the acceleration. It feels like a 4 cylinder. If you don't have a heavy foot though, this will do just fine. We plan on getting another vehicle in about 6 months, and it's definitely going to be another KIA.

Great car!
By Kristen Lederman

2018 Kia Niro EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

No CD player. From a complete stop it takes a moment to go again (engine turns off, it seems). I love the car, especially the smoothness and quiet operation of it.

Love the mpg
By Michelle. G

2018 Kia Niro EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

First week of owning it I’m averaging 56 mpg, I’m going to get 607 miles on the first tank of gas way above the advertised mileage, my 2014 Honda CR-V would of needed to be refilled by now, still have a half of tank. Haven’t owned it long enough for reliability but I think it’s going to be great. Fit and finish on the interior surpass Honda by a mile. Ride is good, feels like a bigger car than it is. Exterior styling is beautiful and doesn’t really look like a typical hybrid.

Sleeper Hybrid Winner
By sal

2018 Kia Niro EX 4dr SUV (1.6L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6AM)

We had a Soul that was up on lease. We really liked the Soul, but in primarily city driving, the gas mileage was terrible. Having owned 4 Kia vehicles, beginning with a 2001, Kia Rio, the vehicles keep gaining refinement and great features. Build quality is at it's highest level so far. To the Niro, this car is a perfect Soul Replacement. It feels like it rides high like the Soul, but the gas mileage has been better than estimates. We averaged just over 56 mpg, in mixed driving in the first week. It runs so smoothly, the transition between electric and gas are noticeable, but not a hindrance of any kind. While I doubt we'll win a drag race, the car moves so quietly and easily, you can quickly find yourself over the speed limit. We opted for the mid-range EX, because it had all the tech we wanted. The tech package added leather seats and dash trim, but honestly it was way too much car, and the car as we have it is comfortable and has all but emergency braking. The interior craftsmanship is modern and interfaces are easy to use. I feel Edmunds 3 Star rating sells this vehicle way too short. Granted, I'd agree the mpg drop off for the highest trim level is unfortunate, but the EX, with or without the Tech package, provides more than enough comfort and safety features for the average commuter. I honestly can't wait to get another when our 2nd car is ready to be replaced.