2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Consumer Review: Update on the Risky Buy

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Review

Limited 4dr SUV (3.6L V6 FFV 4x4 8-speed Automatic)

Update on the Risky Buy
By pa350z2006 on

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4dr SUV 4WD (3.6L 6cyl 8A)

Well I went from foreign to American after 20 years with some good and bad news here for you all.
Make sure you do your research and test things with this Jeep.
List of my bads:
1. HVAC was poor at first, just google it or look for hot cabin in youtube. They did some updates that seems to have helped with that issue.
2. While the shifter is not a good one in this car, my jeep has yet to roll over me. Fingers crossed!
3. Repair frequency is a let down. So far I have had both front bearings replaced around 36000, then the one failed again within 20k. Even though the 20k failure was out of the 3/36 warranty, I called Jeep to complain and they picked up the tab. At 57,000 I started having a odd vibration, now the one front axel is bad. This is covered under the powertrain warranty, so those buying this care new now, take that into consideration.

Goods:
1. Interior is very nice.
2. Unconnect is very easy to use, and logically designed. Had an acura, hated that set up with their dual screens.
3. Noise, this thing is insulated very well.
4. Gas MPG I am routinely getting 24 on the high way and 19-20 mixed. Note, I never keep it in eco mode.
5. Towing, tows my 22ft pontoon boat just fine.

Overall I like the car, I wish the rear glass would open up. I like the great res of the reverse camera. I had a Honda Pilot before this that started suffering from the VCM vibration on the highway, just google it, all their 6 cyls have this issue. Honda did nothing for me on that one at 36,000 when it started and Lehigh Valley Honda in PA let me buy new tires telling me the tires were causing it! They new damn well that was not the issue and when I showed them post new tires it is still happening their stance was that it is a characteristic of the car! Done with Honda for a long time, at least Jeep stood by their car and fixed the bearing for me and offered me an apology package for my annoyance with the issues.

All cars have issues, just need to decide which ones you can live with or without. For me, I am keeping this till 100k when the warranty is out, then I will decide what is next at that time on the market, happy shopping!

• Rear seats
  • Getting in out
  • Noise and vibration
  • Front seats
  • Ride comfort

• Repair frequency

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review