Used 2016 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews

Used Cherokee for Sale
Select your model:
12345...28

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Quite possibly the best vehicle we have ever owned

Mark, 11/02/2016
Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

My wife and I purchased our 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2 V6 in April, 2016. We have taken it on three road trips and just absolutely love it. Comfort, ride, visibility, power I could go on and on. I am a car guy so upkeep and cleanliness are top priority for me, this thing is put together like a Mercedes Benz. In fact, my parents liked ours so much they purchased one too. So far very pleased with product and dealer network and hope it stays that way. Note: I found no option for the Trailhawk with a 3.2 V6 so I used the 4 cylinder. Update: We are still just as happy with our purchase two years later. No creaks, rattles, leaks, etc. It just does everything well for us. My only complaint would be the headlights & Fog lights, but I did some research and corrected that problem. I replaced the OEM headlights with Sylvania Silver Star Ultras and a pair of LED fog light bulbs. The lighting is 100% improved. The 2019 has had the front end redesigned, so I assume the lighting issue has been resolved. We will keep driving this one until the wheels fall off. Update: Almost three years later and still just a pleased as we were the day we brought it home. It has been to the shop for a battery replacement and a wiper nut recall. Interior, exterior plastics, drivetrain and leather seats are all wearing less than average, but I do take really good care of it. Drivetrain is excellent, off road capabilities are very good too. The one thing I have really noticed this year is how well the vehicle holds the road in really bad rain storms. I hope the next 30k are as good as the first.

Safety of car - Car stops operating suddenly

MaryAnn Ragone DeLambily, 01/07/2019
Latitude 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

After 6 months of operating this car, the car died suddenly while driving it on a major road. I brought the car in (once it started up again) and they told me it was because It needed an oil change. What? The car dies because it needs an oil change?? I was insulted! And the car was only 6 months old. BUT, I thought I would give it the benefit of the doubt. Well, some months down the road it happened again and again. And though I enjoy the comfort of the car, the operation of the car is absolutely awful. Looking back I should have returned the car and asked for a replacement. I'm at the end of my lease (thankfully) but as a departing gift I suppose, the car died on me AGAIN on a major road. This time, I called Jeep Customer Care, complained, had a tow truck tow the car back to the dealership to no avail. I get a "text" message the next day not knowing why my car was there. I am once again told that it is because of needing an oil change. WHAT??? OMG! Are you kidding me??? I have had oil changes every 5,000 miles (the car now has 35,000 miles) religiously. I am disgusted and thoroughly frustrated. After having a very "lively" discussion with one of the service techs who hangs up on me, I call back to speak to the Service Manager. He openly admits to me that this is a "flaw" with this car. He goes on to explain that because the car has a 2.4 tiered engine, at any time if the oil goes below a certain point the car will stop operating.........no control of the car, no steering, no nothing!! I don't know how to even respond to this. So, this car is on the road with this safety issue. A car that stops operating with NO WARNING, no red light, no oil warning light, no check engine light, nothing! How can this car be on the road. Why was it not recalled? I am disgusted. I proceed to tell him that I will NOT get back into a car that is this unsafe on the road to myself and others. So....I am presently without a car and will in fact, make a visit tomorrow to the dealership to begin negotiations. I hope that no one is ever seriously injured or worse, killed, because JEEP has continued to put a car on the road that should NOT be on the road at any time for any reason.

I love this SUV!

Lisa Schooner, 06/10/2016
Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I have owned many SUV's in the past and have not been as happy as I have been with this one. It is not as large as some of the other SUV's, so it is easier to manuver than other SUV's. The Cherokee also has a great turn radius which also helps. I purchased the trailhawk with the 3.2L engine and with all the upgraded packages. I test drove the 2.4L and that model was sluggish. This is the reason I went with the larger engine. The larger engine combined with the 9 speed transmission you will not be let down. It is also a quiet ride and with the trailhawk it comes with the locking rear diff, stiffer suspension, and larger off road tires. I have yet to find anything I do not like about this jeep!

Too soon to tell - update #2 - Update #3

Opa Schuh, 09/01/2016
Overland 4dr SUV 4WD (3.2L 6cyl 9A)

I just took delivery of my car today but I had a similar loaner for 3 weeks as mine came from an out-of-state dealer and had to be prepped to my specifications. I bought this machine so I can flat tow behind my RV. I always keep a car for 10 years or more, and given my age this could be my last car. Hence I bought all the bells and whistles and sure glad I did. The more I drive it the more I love it. Regarding fuel economy, maintenance, etc. it's too soon to tell. UPDATE: I've had the car for several months now, got it primarily because I can flat tow it behind my RV. To do so there is a mandatory accessory electrical harness that must be installed. Most dealers didn't know anything about it. That said, I pretty much love the car. Good power, good trail capability, GPM up to 30 on highway & tows great. I have almost as many towed miles as I do driven. (odometer shows only driven miles). 2017-09-02 I've had the Cherokee for about a year and am basically very pleased with it. HOWEVER: I am currently 700 miles from home, in the mountains, in a tinny town. Yesterday the liftgate would not lock. It goes up and down, tries to lock but won't. I called my dealer who walked me through some trouble shooting steps and it was determined the actuator is bad and needs to be replaced. I called the closest dealer to where I am (97 miles) and the best they could offer was for me to bring it in, they look, order part and fix. This I was told on Friday before a 3 day weekend. Only thing I can do is abort my vacation and go home and let my dealer handle it (they stock the part). In the mean time the car won't lock, interior lights stay on and the gate stays open about a 1/4" providing ample opportunity for rain to come in. This failure occurred w/in 30 min of me telling my wife that the more I drive the car the more I like it....which is still true. 2018-03-05 I still really like the car but I have to downgrade the interior a bit. The moon / sun / panoramic roof has developed an annoying creaking noise. You can tilt / close the roof and the noise goes away for awhile then returns. Dealers claim they can't repeat it or don't know how to stop it. There are MANY on Facebook (Cherokee forums) that complain about the same thing, on the same side (passenger) and the problem is consistent from 2014 on through at least 2017 year models. One person came up with a permanent work around by adding a piece of sticky back foam between a piece of metal on the roof track and the plastic part it is rubbing on. If it is that easy I'd have thought Chrysler would have fixed the problem by now. Other than that I love the car. 2019-09-06 I am completely satisfied with the car and would like to update previous negative comments. Regarding the lift gate...my fault. I broke the rear window and a piece of glass was jamming the lift gate mechanism. Roof noise- it took a number of dealer visits but they did find broken parts in the moon roof mechanism and replaced the entire assembly under warranty. I had a dealer loaner car for the entire repair period. Harsh ride- I switched to All-terrain tires because of anticipated off road use. The new tires have a softer side wall and greatly improved the ride. I purchased this model specifically because it can be RV towed, I have approximately 25,000 towed miles on it now (does not show on odometer).

Beautiful But Completely Unreliable

Lynn Madore, 07/09/2017
Trailhawk 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 9A)

I own the 2016 Trailhawk V6 3.2L engine with tow package. Mango Tango! It was love at first sight; a work of art with unsurpassed comfort! But it's been just one year (14K miles) and I no longer feel safe in it, nor can I count on it to get me to my destination. Today, I write this review from my back deck when I should be enjoying my camping vacation, however for the 4th time in a 6 week period, the car completely shut itself down. Twice in the last few weeks the car has just shut itself off, requiring me to pull over. Each time it restarted after a few minutes. Thank goodness it was always where I could pull over. Today however, packed for my vacation, camper in tow, traveling 65mph EVERYTHING shut down: the electronics and the transmission. Dead as a doornail. No power brakes, no power steering. Nothing. Roadside assistance sucks. It took two hours for them to get a wrecker to me, but refused to take it to my local dealership, a whopping 4 miles further than the "closest" Jeep dealership, and made me abandon my camper. Furthermore they told me they would not get me home from the dealership they were willing to tow to (placing me 85 miles from home). So I paid the wrecker guy the FOUR MILE difference to take the car to my local dealer and my son-in-law rescued the pop up. I can't say enough for the service guys at my local dealership who did a diagnostic on the car first thing the following morning (Monday) to try and get me back on the road, but they could not replicate the issue and returned my car to me. :( I guess I'm stuck driving a $40K safety risk until this happens again, and again. Here are a few other things that annoy me about this car: the cruise control is a joke. Unless you are on flat land, it will take off on you going down hill as though it isn't engaged. I've had the car bolt from 55 to 68mph of its own volition. You can't turn off the radio; you have to mute the volume every time you get in the car if you don't want to listen. Bluetooth connects sporadically and often can't send messages or takes several minutes to respond. If your iPod/iPhone is connected to a USB port for charging, you can't get it to run through the speakers for music. I just paid $3K for the extended service plan; looks like I'll be needing it. This vehicle has a history of issues. ITS TIME CHRYSLER DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT; 3 MODEL YEARS IS ENOUGH! 07/25/17 update: spoke with a Chrsyler REP who has authorized looking deeper into the stalling issue AND got me a rental so I can tow and experience a vacation this summer. Let's see how the repair goes. I'll update as information becomes available.

3 out of 5 stars