Used 2010 INFINITI FX35 Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific FX35 model:

Impressive All Season Sportscar
By Driving Enthusiast

2010 INFINITI FX35 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I would call the FX35 an All Season Sportscar (I wonder why Infiniti didn't call it that...). You don't buy this car because you need room or utility. You buy this because you want a sports car that can be driven year round and in adverse conditions.

First of all, the styling. While it might not be for everyone, I don't think anyone can argue it's bland. It is a striking design, and it is rare enough on the road that they really stand out. Kudos to Infiniti for rolling out a production car that actually looks like its concept sibling.

Now onto performance, what this All Season Sportscar really excel at. I've had the pleasure of taking a high performance driving course with this car, and the theme of the day was "Underestimated". The brakes may look small next to the 20" wheels, but they are surprisingly powerful and resilient. After a day at the track, the factory brakes were still going strong. And did I mention how strongly the car pulls and how good it sounds doing it? It's almost as if it's bending the laws of physics to do it. Handling is superb as well - it never once felt like I was driving tall heavy SUV through the slaloms and the avoidance maneuvers. The only thing that gave it away was the ride height - you won't be fooled into thinking you are in a Miata. The suspension is stiff enough through corners that the vehicle never feels "soft", yet for everyday commute it absorbs imperfections nicely. The car is much more capable within its performance envelope than any of us that day gave it credit for. However that doesn't mean you should get reckless behind it though - once you kick past the envelope and the laws of physics kick in, you're in the next zip code over before the 4200lb+ All Season Sportscar comes to a complete stop.

Utility, storage volume in particular, is probably the Achilles' heel of the FX35. The spare tire under the rear cargo area bumps up the floor considerably. Couple that with the rakish coupe roofline, you have a low and wide opening that makes it next to impossible to load crates. The rear seats do fold down nicely, and the roof is considerably higher above the rear seats if you want to play some back seat tetris with your cargo. On a plus side though, because the roof is rakish and the hinge of the rear hatch is located so far forward, you can back the vehicle into a garage, and the hatch can still open even with only about a foot of space to the wall. Try doing that with other SUVs.

In terms of utility off road, it does quite well light offroading, such as snow, mud, gravel or inclement weather conditions. With a good set of winter tires, the vehicle can handle snow covered mountain forest service roads without any drama (I have AWD).

The interior is also a very welcoming and cozy space. The ambient lighting in the door handles is a very elegant touch, particularly if you have the maple accents. There are actually footwell accent lights too, but they are so dim (unless you swap them to LEDs) that they are not visible other than in the darkest of nights. The seats are very comfortable and well supported - no fatigue or butt cramps after long drives what-so-ever. Surfaces you are often in contact with are covered with soft leather material that just makes the whole cabin very luxurious-feeling. The backseat can recline to a very comfortable angle.

The technology in the vehicle also leaves very little to be desired. I do not have the adaptive cruise control or lane departure warning systems, so I can't speak to those. The surround view camera though is absolutely brilliant. I call it "cheat mode", because it allows you to park the car in tight spaces with such confidence and ease that you'll passengers will be screaming "Aww that's not fair!". The Bose audio system is crisp, and if you're an avid CD listener you'll be happy to know the car will happily gobble up all the tracks on your CD and store them on its harddrive, so you never have to carry a stack of CDs with you. The navigation is also well voiced. Voice recognition is fast, although it can't take in a whole chunk of address at a time (i.e. you got to say the house number, wait, street address, wait, city, wait, etc). Unlike those OCD German car designs, the screen is a touchscreen, and the recessed setup makes it easily legible even in bright conditions.

Another interior feature (somewhat useless) I really like is when you first get behind the wheels and turn the vehicle on (the push start button is supposed to pulse like the beating heart by the way), the steering column with lower and move towards you while the seat slides forward to your set seating position. The sequence is reversed when you get out of the vehicle. Really makes it feel like you're getting behind a X-Wing or something.

Overall, I can't be happier with this All Season Sportscar. After about two years, it still brings a smile to my face every time I get behind the wheels, and I still catch myself admiring its lines.

Couldn't be Happier
By bradndayton

2010 INFINITI FX35 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

First off... I really had no idea this car even existed until I stopped by the Local Infiniti dealer.
I just couldn't take my eyes off of it.
My previous car was a
Boxster "s" and was looking for something bigger, but didn't want to sacrafice the handling.
Tried all the Usuall suspects(Cayene, Audi, Beemer, Benz...) but after driving this one, I was sold!!
The German ones where great, but the interiors just felt sterile and unintuitive.
MPG on the FX is pretty impressive, I get 24 average when I am being a good boy.

The looks. Even 3 years later, I still get compliments everywhere I go. The handling was my biggest "pleasant" surprise!! I don't know how they did it, but I have a sports car in an SUV's body. The Nav system on her is amazingly intuitive and accurate. It always gets me where I am going and I love the touch screen option. AC seats in the summer are a must. Birds EYE view camera(all 4 sides of the car) is actually useful with the larger LCD screen. Makes parking a snap!!

HMMM. Well I guess to nit pick, I would say ... Seriously, I gotta get back to you on that one as I am drawing a blank.

Simply WOW, The more I drive it, the more I love it!
By mpohio

2010 INFINITI FX35 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

First off, Just test drive one!!
You will get it!!

I recently sold my Infiniti G35x in search of a bigger, semi-offroad Vehicle.
Ive owned more autos than shoes and Im well versed with pretty much all that is out there. Drove the Audi, Bmw, Benz, honda and
After test driving the FX35, everything else seemed to fall short, so I knew what I was destined to get.

1st experience was picking her up and driving home
7.5 hours from VA to OH.
OMG, I couldn't believe how much fun it was.
2nd "major" expereince My road trip from OH to billings Montana and back.
4 days of 12hours at a time.
It was a flawless, fun drive.
I only stopped when my eyes tired as the seats are better than a lazyb

I didn't lose much on the MPG coming from my G35x as the 7 speed auto is the best I have driven(don't know why the others have complained, but ignore them). AC seats are one of the best surprises. The Nav system is second to none. The 11 speaker stereo with two subs is top notch. I really like the folding mirrors as at night on the interstate, vehicles behind you don't blind you. The ride is smooth and extremely nimble(when you want it to be). The Suv / crossover is like 2 vehicles in 1. Handles like a sports car and has UMF to get you going quickly.

When on cruise, going up long inclines(.5 miles or more), the car would auto shift 2 times down. This wouldn't happen while off cruise. I here there is a software upgrade to remap the tranny(that might fix the others problems).

Buyer Beware
By drojt

2010 INFINITI FX35 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Before you spend 45K (+) for this vehicle, please note that is has a major design flaw in its transmission. Please take the time to read all of the consumer reviews at Edmunds and at various Infiniti web forums.
The transmission up shifts too quickly so in essence you are in 7 gear by 38 MPH, thus getting up to speed (downshifting) in a passing situation is trying and thus a safety issue in my humble opinion.
I am not please with this vehicle and it will be scrapped very soon. Knowing this issue, shame on Infiniti for not upgrading the tranny as there are numerous customer complaints when this model was introduced. Never again wil I own an Infiniti so buy at your own risk!

Seats and Styling.

Fix the transmission! This vehicle is in 7th gear even in Sport Mode at 38 MPH! This is a safety issue! In addition, the car shoul dshift to acc mode for at least 10 minutes after turning of the engine instead of everything (and I mean everything shutting down). So if you are on the phone...forget it..the bluetooth as with all other items are off.

Worst car I ever owned. HATE THIS CAR
By cheryl57

Buyer beware!!
Transmission problem with the Infinity FX35.
I do not feel safe driving this car.
Transmission gets stuck between 3rd and 4th gear causing lag in speed.
Can't pass or merge into traffic without worrying that I will not be able to pick up speed.
Does not happen every time so can't prepare.
Then when stoping, car lurches forward. Dealer claims that it is due to the change they made from a 5 speed to a 7 speed and that is just the way the car drives.
Are you kidding me?
Look up transmission problems on Edmonds for this car.
Many complaints.
They want to charge me over $4000.00 to return the car. And they consider this a favor!!
There is no fix nor change to newer model

The look of the car is what attracted me. We had a 2006 that was the 5 speed transmission and we loved it. It is not the same car!!!!!

Go back to the old transmission. Difficulty shifting from park to reverse. Needs to be fixed. Cargo space is small. Could be larger.