2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe Sport model:

High Enough for Me
By GilbetGirl47

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Having driven a Hyundai Sonata for six years and loving it, changing over to a Santa Fe gets mixed reviews from me. I LOVE being higher up and able to see much better on the road. I have bad knees and I have to set the seat back completely as well as lower the seat as far down as it will go (I put it up to drive) in order to more easily get in and out of the car (I am 5'5"). I adjust it up and forward whenever I am in. That makes it much easier to drive. I tested several different individual Santa Fe's before picking this one. I love the color combination (dark gray with light gray interior) and this one feels more comfortable that some of the other Santa Fe's. It does not have nearly the good gas mileage as the Sonata Hybrid, but I am not driving as much as I used to, so that helps. It feels good to drive and takes corners very well. I do have a few complaints. 1-It is hard to reach the front door when it is open all of the way. I have to lean way over and pull the pocket at the bottom of the door in order to close it. 2- The tail gate does not have a spring release. I have to be sure the car is unlocked, get out and pull the gate up from the rear. It is heavy and hard to raise. Then, it is hard to close. Hard to pull down and must be slammed shut. 3- When rounding a corner where the road goes uphill, the car gets sluggish. I have to accelerate a good bit in order to get it to pull up the hill well. The car has heated seats which I have not yet tried (not cold yet). Looking forward to that. The night lights are strong and well-aimed and are good to use. It has a dual climate control, so I can have my side warmer than my husband's. It also has rear air conditioning, which is excellent for any car.

Not a terrible car, but some "wtf's"
By Pete

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great cargo space, easy to operate. Rear passenger space lacks a little compared to some other cars in its class. A bit underpowered, although I do realize I've been driving the non-turbo version. Some weird things that I don't like are: how heavy and bulky the key fobs are. They're neccesary to operate the car so obviously one needs to be carried with the driver. You'd think they'd opt for something that didn't resemble a small brick. I also don't like how the car automatically self locks after about 60 seconds after the last door has shut. Makes loading and/or unloading a huge hassle.

Still new, very satisfied
By George Whyte

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Still very new, acceleration could be stronger getting onto highways, sometimes feel the transmission shifting between gears. Overall I'm very satisfied with this car. Everything else is real nice.

SNATA FE SPORT VS HONDA CRV
By EDJAS

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Ultimate 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Having owned two Honda Accords, 2010 and 2014 over the past 8 years I was inclined to buy a CRV.when I found out the CRV did not have cd player I decided to look elsewhere. Great move!. I found out that the CRV does play music files from cd s if you transfer them to a usb in the wav format. So I decided to test both. The CRV is a fine car,acceleration is good and smooth. Handling is fine etc. The seats were ok ,like the Accord seats. The music playback was ok sounding a little better than my v6 Accord. But when I tested the Santa Fe sport there was no comparison. The Santa Fe was faster as it should be since it has 240hp while the CRV has 190. I would say the mpg for the CRV is around 5-8 more.that is the tradeoff.I can live with that,maybe 200 dollars per year more in gas assuming 10k per year.the seats in the Santa Fe were more comfortable,very good for my back etc. Besides the fact that the Santa Fe has a cd player the sound system in the Santa Fe was far superior than the CRV. Much better clarity and options to change the balance. Cargo space in both is about the same but the CRV second row seats fold down flat while the Santa Fe are up maybe 6 inches. Not a big deal. And the Santa Fe has more room in the back for basically the same area. When I asked where was the spare tire in the Santa Fe I was told it was outside below the car! You turn a lever and it descends. This resulted in lifting the back cover up to reveal a small storage area below! Very nice and useful. The CRV has the spare tire there. One slight negative is that the Santa has only one usb while the CRV has 4. Two would be nice. But it has two 12v plugs in front and they can be adapted to a usb plug,so? It s ok. The 4 camera setup in the Santa is very useful in parking etc. It gives you an great view as if you are looking down above the car by 20 feet! Amazing! Parking lines and curbs are easy to see.the Santa has more safety features but the CRV is fine in that area as well. I like the ability to put cd's on a usb in the wav format and play them but you could just play mp3's. Still the hassle of transferring cd s to the computer and copying them to a usb would be annoying. I have 100 s of cd s. A cd player is far better. Both of course have bluetooth so using your phone to play music is another option. So my reasons for the Santa over the CRV is better acceleration, more comfortable seating, much better sound system. Also, it has a moon roof twice as big as the CRV. In my Accords I didn t use the moon roof much but this one is spectacular! I find having it open is fun! People are amazed when they see it. Oh! One more point. The reliability of Honda vs hyundaI was important to me and Honda seems better in that area. But since the hyundaI has a 60k and 5 year warranty and I plan to keep it for 3-4 years,that wasn’t a factor. Thank you Honda for not putting a 35 dollar cd player in your CRV.now I have a better Santa. PS,I should mention the cost etc. While the CRV was cheaper by a few thousand,the discount by honda was far less,maybe 1500? did not get a firm price as i was not pleased with the CRV. The Freehold Hyundai rep, Tony Rodriguez, was very knowledgeable and very helpful,answering all my questions or finding the answer quickly. I researched the best price on the internet and knew what I wanted to pay. I told Tony all this and he went to his manager and came back with 6250 off the MSRP. I was pleased. He did ask if I was ready to buy today and I said yes! and I did. An additional plus at Freehold Hyundai is that they have some great coffee there! I must have drank 6 cups! It actually was an enjoyable experience. After i drove home and read some of the features etc,I got a low battery alert! I went back to the Dealer and said the battery needs to be charged. Tony asked if i had the accessory feature on without the engine running for 10 min? I said yes. he replied that after 10 min in accessory mode that warning light comes on. Battery is fine. I guess I have to read the manual with 100 + pages! Looking at all the features inside I feel like Buck Rodgers in a new spaceship!.

Love My Sante Fe
By Jeff Barton

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This is the very best vehicle I've owned in my 52 years. I can't be happier. My daughter has a 2017 Highlander and my 2017 Santa Fe blows it away in every catagory! Comfort is superb. I have a base 4 cylinder and get 25 mpg around town and 30 highway. It has 185 horsepower! That's 40 more than my 72 Mustang 302 V8 had from the factory! It has plenty of power. Tons of room. Easy to get in and out of and it's $20,000.00 less than a equally equipted Highlander. Do yourself a favor and buy one of these. It's the new Camery!