Used 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 162 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Exactly what I needed!
By Carole Burger

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This car served me well for over 15 years, from the day I drove it off the lot brand new in 2003, to the day I traded it in on a new Honda Fit. Never had a breakdown, and as a single working woman for most of that time, reliability was its most important virtue. This vehicle held up well and the interior showed little wear considering how long it was driven. I kept up on the maintenance, following the suggestions of a local mechanic. When the hybrid batteries reached the end of their life in 2014, my mechanic suggested that a Honda dealer would be the best place to get them replaced. It cost $1900 instead of the anticipated $10,000 which would have been a deal-breaker. Honda stands behind their vehicles and their value holds up.

The Truth
By Chris

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At 72k IMA goes out and they repair for free, it's the law. At 130k miles CVT transmission shreds to nothing. After spending $5000.00 on a new transmission the computers and IMA LIGHTS start lighting up and now you're in a death trap with an acceleration of 0-60 in 60 seconds. HONDA COULDN'T CARE LESS. You know the 3% of customers that get screwed by corporations that are too big to notice or care? That's us!

Best Reliable car I've had!
By Chris

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Battery sucks...had battery issues before I reached 100K miles and Check engine light went on because of it. However, I wasn't going to pay 3K for replacment batteries and just ran the car without the extra HP the batteries would have given me. I still get 50 mph, and 200K miles later its still going strong. I have 310k miles on it now and runs great! Haven't really replaced anything on it except tires, oil, and struts. Everything on it is pretty much original!

The battery is a disaster!
By loring

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The IMA Battery on the 2003 Civic Hybrid is/was a flawed product.
My first battery failed at 42,000 miles ( at 7 years) and was replaced under warranty.
The second battery has failed with less than 27,000 miles ( at 11 years) and the dealer says it will cost me $3,684 to replace it with a rebuilt battery with a 3 year, 36K warranty.

So far, Honda and I have spent more on batteries than I have on fuel for this car.

With a 3 year warranty on a $3,684 battery, I'm planning on $1,000 per year battery cost going forward.

I carefully documented my battery failures and appealed to American Honda for some cost sharing on the third battery. They said sorry but you're on your own, nothing, period. I was very surprised they dropped me so hard. We bought two new Hondas in 2003, but they'll be our last. Expensive mistake buying the Civic Hybrid!!!!

Best Car Owned
By crdavis

2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

Bought new in 2003 and never had to replace a thing other that a couple headlights, main starting battery. Has 250K miles on it and finally the IMA has an issue, but still drives great without it! Someone rear ended me the other day, totaled his car, but only scratched my rear bumber.

lasted 250K and still going!